6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

58V FICM

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:55 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
58V FICM

Why would my FICM have 58V when all I ever see mentioned is 48V. Upon further searching, I see that a 58V unit was installed by a mechanic. Is this abnormal?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
There are FICMs available that will produce 58V, and there are also 53V units. These are offered by after market performance companies and are said to improve throttle response, fuel economy, towing capabilities, produce more power, better cold startup, smoother idle, increase injector life and all that kind of thing. Well, I don't know what is true and what is not, but it was all designed for 48V and if these units have work putting out 48V, how much extra stress is added by putting out 58V? Perhaps someone who knows more about it will chime in.

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The voltage set-point is regulated by a pair of resistors, and changing the resistors can change the set point. It will increase the stress on the output transistors (actually Mosfets probably) since they will be handling more power, and it will increase the current load and stress on the shuttle coils that open and close the oil inputs into the injectors. It will drive those shuttles harder, so could overcome possible stiction issues. It will also let the injectors cope with cold, stiff oil a bit better. It will produce no more power, it will not change throttle response, fuel economy, towing capabilities, cold starting, idle smoothness or anything else. It's basically a modification dreamed up by an electronics geek who knew how to do it, and didn't think it through to the mechanical elements of the injector design. If it was a change that was also accompanied by upgraded power output devices in the FICM, and injectors designed for the 58 volts, then it would be fine. Keep in mind the reason the FICM voltage at no less than 45 volts is important is that the low voltage indicates failing output devices in the FICM, and the lower voltage does start to harm the injectors. All this my opinion, of course, based on a long background in electronics.

Brian

Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MC5C
The voltage set-point is regulated by a pair of resistors, and changing the resistors can change the set point. It will increase the stress on the output transistors (actually Mosfets probably) since they will be handling more power, and it will increase the current load and stress on the shuttle coils that open and close the oil inputs into the injectors. It will drive those shuttles harder, so could overcome possible stiction issues. It will also let the injectors cope with cold, stiff oil a bit better. It will produce no more power, it will not change throttle response, fuel economy, towing capabilities, cold starting, idle smoothness or anything else. It's basically a modification dreamed up by an electronics geek who knew how to do it, and didn't think it through to the mechanical elements of the injector design. If it was a change that was also accompanied by upgraded power output devices in the FICM, and injectors designed for the 58 volts, then it would be fine. Keep in mind the reason the FICM voltage at no less than 45 volts is important is that the low voltage indicates failing output devices in the FICM, and the lower voltage does start to harm the injectors. All this my opinion, of course, based on a long background in electronics.

Brian
Sounds good to me.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
General consensus would be if it's already there, to leave it? Or should I replace it with a 48V? I suppose I would have to check the injectors to see if they have been changed to 58V units.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
There aren't any 58V injector coils.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey me too

Originally Posted by BigGreenEx
General consensus would be if it's already there, to leave it? Or should I replace it with a 48V? I suppose I would have to check the injectors to see if they have been changed to 58V units.
Do you have a 58v FICM?

I just found out that I do. It did not show up on the Scan Gauge II. The Scan Gauge II shows 48.5v Why??? I had to check it at the FICM with a DVM too see it. I am also considering going back to a 48v FICM, since now I have a problem (bad miss). It did run really good for 2 years though.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MC5C

Brian
I could be wrong (been wrong before) but I think the FICM output has a current limiting resistor that limits the current to 20 amps. The power through the coil will be increased with the increased voltage and may stress the coils.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
High currents create heat and break down components. High voltage breaks down insulation. Name your poison. I'd stick with the factory 48 volts.