6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Selling a tuner??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Selling a tuner??

So I have a SCT X3 tuner from 5 Star. Is there any kind of factory reset or anything I have to do to it in order to sell it? I reverted to stock already. With the Cobb Passport tuner I used for my Subaru there was an “Un-marrying” process that had to be done in order to...well...un-marry it from the vehicle and make it useable on a different vehicle. Just wondering if there SCT tuner has the same kind of thing. Thanks for the knowledge...

Old 08-29-2014, 05:35 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know. Contact them.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:12 AM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I would be interested in it if you find out.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:39 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have returned to stock your un-married from the vehicle but you now have 4 unlocks remaining. Any reason why you decided to ditch the tuner everyone seems to be very pleased with the results for the 6.2 with the improvement to the drive by wire and transmission. You can send it back to sct and they will completely reset it but it's like $150.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike189677
If you have returned to stock your un-married from the vehicle but you now have 4 unlocks remaining. Any reason why you decided to ditch the tuner everyone seems to be very pleased with the results for the 6.2 with the improvement to the drive by wire and transmission. You can send it back to sct and they will completely reset it but it's like $150.
If you have returned to stock your un-married from the vehicle but you now have 4 unlocks remaining.

Thanks!

Any reason why you decided to ditch the tuner everyone seems to be very pleased with the results for the 6.2 with the improvement to the drive by wire and transmission.

I understand the strategies behind the tunes, and it does vastly improve the drivability while towing. The snappier go pedal, and the hard shifts are softened to acceptable levels when pulling my 8k TT. I do not want to drive around 90% of the time with my truck acting like there’s a trailer behind it. I have experienced zero, zip, nada milage improvement with the tuner and the reality of the situation is that the improvements made for towing just don’t justify putting up with the jerkiness and hard shifting when not towing. What about the econ tune? Quite frankly, it does improve throttle response, but that by itself isn’t worth the added cost in gas, and YES IT DOES USE MORE GAS!!! Since I went back to stock, my milage has gone up to an average of 13 mixed, 14-15 highway, I never saw those numbers with a tune on board. Ultimately the truck in it’s stock form knows when there is a trailer or load on board and acts accordingly, and it goes back to it’s mild natured self when it’s not working. The SCT is a great product that works but I want my truck to act like a truck, not a 7600 LB race car.

You can send it back to sct and they will completely reset it but it's like $150.

No thanks, I’ll keep it for diagnostic purposes and data logging. For that amount I was quoted an update and 1 more tune on the device.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:21 PM
CrpssFire
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Thenewboss
If you have returned to stock your un-married from the vehicle but you now have 4 unlocks remaining.

Thanks!

Any reason why you decided to ditch the tuner everyone seems to be very pleased with the results for the 6.2 with the improvement to the drive by wire and transmission.

I understand the strategies behind the tunes, and it does vastly improve the drivability while towing. The snappier go pedal, and the hard shifts are softened to acceptable levels when pulling my 8k TT. I do not want to drive around 90% of the time with my truck acting like there’s a trailer behind it. I have experienced zero, zip, nada milage improvement with the tuner and the reality of the situation is that the improvements made for towing just don’t justify putting up with the jerkiness and hard shifting when not towing. What about the econ tune? Quite frankly, it does improve throttle response, but that by itself isn’t worth the added cost in gas, and YES IT DOES USE MORE GAS!!! Since I went back to stock, my milage has gone up to an average of 13 mixed, 14-15 highway, I never saw those numbers with a tune on board. Ultimately the truck in it’s stock form knows when there is a trailer or load on board and acts accordingly, and it goes back to it’s mild natured self when it’s not working. The SCT is a great product that works but I want my truck to act like a truck, not a 7600 LB race car.

You can send it back to sct and they will completely reset it but it's like $150.

No thanks, I’ll keep it for diagnostic purposes and data logging. For that amount I was quoted an update and 1 more tune on the device.

I have to agree with you with the way the truck acts with the tuner. I tried both tunes that you talked about and had the same results Hard shifts and no improvement in milage. I even started to get hard down shifts when coming to a stop sign. If I just rolled through it at low speed it would slam down into a lower gear. Went back to stock and it worked with no issues. My mileage is pretty much where yours is with the truck back to stock..

Old 09-14-2014, 05:58 PM
tjcprop
Elder User
Originally Posted by CrpssFire
I have to agree with you with the way the truck acts with the tuner. I tried both tunes that you talked about and had the same results Hard shifts and no improvement in milage. I even started to get hard down shifts when coming to a stop sign. If I just rolled through it at low speed it would slam down into a lower gear. Went back to stock and it worked with no issues. My mileage is pretty much where yours is with the truck back to stock..
Thank you for the honest feed back. This is going to help me decide on a tuner.