6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mishimoto 200° vs. Ford 192° thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:36 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rory_Johnson

Money-Pit: If you'd like a 92 housing with modified bore which does not fit a Mishimoto, PM me.

Rory
Thanks for the offer, but I gave up trying to figure out why the stat won't work in all housings....but it works 100% of the time in the housing from the Ford RT -1169 kit. (So far anyway)

Old 01-18-2015, 12:15 PM
sfoltz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
....but it works 100% of the time in the housing from the Ford RT-1169 kit. (So far anyway)
I installed mine yesterday and here are my findings: New Ford OEM t-stat and housing as of March of last year, coolant temps barely reached 183* in December (OEM t-stat lasted est. 8 months).

Measured OEM pin height: (0.504in)

and housing pin hole depth: (0.401in)

Measured Mishimoto pin height: (0.584in)

and there's the gap after install.

Now I didn't boil mine, I was playing around with it installed and I "lightly" pressed down on the area that wasn't seated and it moved and seated. I removed the t-stat and inspected it to make sure I didn't break anything.
I inspected it, found nothing wrong. I measured the pin again and it was shorter: (0.456in)

so I re-installed it and no gap:

Filled the truck with coolant, checked it while running, topped it off again and went for a drive. Freeway temps climbed to 200-202* (t-stat opened) and then dropped to 197-199* and then stayed at 200* the rest of the drive.
So far I'd say the t-stat works great, a bit of a headache due to it not coming with a housing but it does work.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
I understand,,, just a little gunshy since there is almost 700 posts on how to install a thermostat. Lol.

The housing issue,,, kinda like buying a new truck,, and needing to bring your own oil (it'd be different if the tstat was a "drop in" like most others). Lol.

Don't get me wrong,, I'm definately game. It just seems like you all are doing the manufacturer's job here,,,, and you guys paid to do it. The concept is GREAT!!! Implementation,,,,, needs a lil help.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sfoltz
I installed mine yesterday and here are my findings: New Ford OEM t-stat and housing as of March of last year, coolant temps barely reached 183* in December (OEM t-stat lasted est. 8 months).

Measured OEM pin height: (0.504in)

and housing pin hole depth: (0.401in)

Measured Mishimoto pin height: (0.584in)

and there's the gap after install.

Now I didn't boil mine, I was playing around with it installed and I "lightly" pressed down on the area that wasn't seated and it moved and seated. I removed the t-stat and inspected it to make sure I didn't break anything.
I inspected it, found nothing wrong. I measured the pin again and it was shorter: (0.456in)

Filled the truck with coolant, checked it while running, topped it off again and went for a drive. Freeway temps climbed to 200-202* (t-stat opened) and then dropped to 197-199* and then stayed at 200* the rest of the drive.
So far I'd say the t-stat works great, a bit of a headache due to it not coming with a housing but it does work.
It's the brass part of the pin housing that interferes with the center locator of the C92 housing and not the pin as everyone assumed.

At least that was what prevented the Mishi from seating correctly when I mocked it up in a spare C92 I had.

Josh

Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
I understand,,, just a little gunshy since there is almost 700 posts on how to install a thermostat. Lol.

The housing issue,,, kinda like buying a new truck,, and needing to bring your own oil (it'd be different if the tstat was a "drop in" like most others). Lol.

Don't get me wrong,, I'm definately game. It just seems like you all are doing the manufacturer's job here,,,, and you guys paid to do it. The concept is GREAT!!! Implementation,,,,, needs a lil help.
I agree, it got outa hand....who would've thunk that would happen installing a thermostat?

It's a Ford thing I guess....I think all other vehicle t stats come with the cage built into it, whereas ours uses the housing as the cage. (The 6.4 is the same way)

I'm sure when Mishimoto did the R&D on this thing, they used a new housing vs. finding a used one somewhere...and didn't realize the stat wouldn't be compatible with all housings.

Sure, they could've offered it installed in a new housing if they knew then what they know now ...but then the price would probably be close to $100.

Like alot of new products, there are issues in the beginning until things are figured out. This one has been figured out by installing it in a new housing, it will definitely work....any other housing is a gamble.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
I've never tried to get a housing without a tstat. Not that the price of a ford tstat is that bad. But aren't we looking at about $100 by time we get a new housing anyways??

Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 PM
Rod Jr.
Mountain Pass
Still can't figure out why Ford OEM stat with housing would cost that much less to make than aftermarket. Ford only $23 which includes housing.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
I've never tried to get a housing without a tstat. Not that the price of a ford tstat is that bad. But aren't we looking at about $100 by time we get a new housing anyways??
Naw, only about $80-$85! LOL

I imagine once the buying frenzy is over, and maybe another manufacturer begins offering something similar installed in a housing, the price will go down. (Remember the price of flatscreen tv's a few years ago?)

Old 01-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I told everyone in the beginning what the problem was......but who listens to me,I might as well talk to my wife cause I get the same response.......LOL

Old 01-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Rory_Johnson
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
It's the brass part of the pin housing that interferes with the center locator of the C92 housing and not the pin as everyone assumed.

At least that was what prevented the Mishi from seating correctly when I mocked it up in a spare C92 I had.

Josh
x2 the above - expect my C92 came out of the truck and I didn't have another, so it went back in. Coolant temps running about 115F above ambient, which is 0F give or take 10 degrees up here these days...

Gonna get a fresh housing this week...

Rory

Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke
Does this thermostat not fail in the open position as the Motorcraft does? Good thing you were close to home.
Great question! Our thermostat emulates the design of the factory unit and will fail in a similar fashion.

Originally Posted by BPofMD
Drove mine again yesterday after changing it our from stock a few weeks ago. ON the test run it got up to 202-207 and pretty much stayed in that range. Yesterday it just kept climbing! I got it home before it got no more than 212 coolant and 225 oil. I gotta wait until outdoor temps moderate so I can look at it. I don't know what blew but there was steam all over the place. Could it have been that thin "O" ring they are sending out with the new 'stats?
I don't think was a "thermostat" problem but a failure of a component. Or even an installation error I may have made..... The coolant was leaking out at a pretty good clip and being blown all over the engine compartment by the fan. Yeah, I heart it start to roar once the heat got up there. I didn't attempt to look at the fan speed...I was too busy trying to find a turn-around to high-tail it back home!
I just went out to the truck to check it.... found the heater hose connection either OFF or BROKEN the connection to the heater valve (engine side). Phew - I don't usually believe in coincidences but this time it just HAPPENED to be around the same time I replaced the thermostat. And EASY to get to too. Lucky me. I also get to have a coolant change at the same time.

Guess all I have to do after the repair is 3/12 gallons of GO5 and 3-4 gallons of distilled, right? As all the coolant boiled/blew out this SHOULD suffice?
Sorry to hear about the hose failure! Glad you were able to identify the leak source. Let us know how the thermostat functions once you get the truck back on the road.

I bought a Mishimoto and, having read much of this thread, boiled it prior to installing. After boiling, I found that there is still slight clearance between the t-stat plate and housing.

I bored out the pin hole slightly but this had no effect. I boiled again to make sure it had an opportunity to re-seat. Still no improvement.

I can roll the plate around in the housing a little bit, which tells me the pin isn't against a side wall in the housing bore, so I know there's enough clearance radially.

I'm thinking there is interference where the first shoulder (from the pin end) contacts the boss in the housing. If those two contact before the plate seats it will never really seal, no?

My housing is a 92.

Probably going to dealership to get a new assembly and harvest the oring & housing.

Money-Pit: If you'd like a 92 housing with modified bore which does not fit a Mishimoto, PM me.

Rory
x2 the above - expect my C92 came out of the truck and I didn't have another, so it went back in. Coolant temps running about 115F above ambient, which is 0F give or take 10 degrees up here these days...

Gonna get a fresh housing this week...

Rory
Sorry to hear about your issues with installation Rory. It sounds as if you have one of the housings that is not compatible with our thermostat. The factory replacement housing should function properly with our thermostat. Please let us know how the install goes!

Thanks

Originally Posted by Excurvelle
I replaced the housing and within 4 miles my temp hit 200. I did not take the air box out, I used a 1/4" ratchet and a 10mm socket. Ford couldn't have put that fuel line in a more aggravating place.

For some reason the bolts that hold the housing were really hard to put back in. I carefully worked them in and out with anti-seize and I finally got them in and tightened.
Great, enjoy the thermostat!

I agree, it got outa hand....who would've thunk that would happen installing a thermostat?

It's a Ford thing I guess....I think all other vehicle t stats come with the cage built into it, whereas ours uses the housing as the cage. (The 6.4 is the same way)

I'm sure when Mishimoto did the R&D on this thing, they used a new housing vs. finding a used one somewhere...and didn't realize the stat wouldn't be compatible with all housings.

Sure, they could've offered it installed in a new housing if they knew then what they know now ...but then the price would probably be close to $100.

Like alot of new products, there are issues in the beginning until things are figured out. This one has been figured out by installing it in a new housing, it will definitely work....any other housing is a gamble.
We designed our thermostat around the stock housing as mentioned. We were not aware of the housing change during the 03-07 6.0L timeframe. For those with the later housing, this thermostat is a drop-in replacement. Trucks equipped with the earlier housing may require the updated OEM housing, however this seems to be far less common.
Not sure if this thread is good or bad. I read a couple pages and it seemed there is a need for a sticky on the proper install instructions. What I've read of this,,, it seems hit n miss on getting it installed and getting it to function properly,,, on the first shot. No way could I sell it and risk CAUSING a problem. If it came with a housing,, already boiled and seated,, I'd stack them next to the gatorback belts we now stock (which I have to order because nobody carries them).
Originally Posted by Jmoen7
Agreed, been following this post every couple weeks and i'd still say it sits around 50/50 success rating according to this. I'd love to see 200* in winter instead of 175* but i'd rather not be a guinea pig just yet
So far it's been 100% success when installing the stat in a new housing from the Ford RT- 1169 kit. The problem is the stat doesn't always seal in other housings.
Thanks guys! We have a ton of customers running this particular thermostat with 0 concerns expressed during installation. The actual success rate is far greater than 50%, and those who have had housing issues can remedy the situation with a new updated housing. Our installation instructions/process is highlighted in the post below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14885796

Feel free to follow-up with any additional install concerns/questions!

Thanks

Originally Posted by sfoltz

Thanks for posting up your findings! Enjoy the thermostat.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:30 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I posted this elsewhere too..... If anyone installed the coolant filter kit with the PLASTIC T and hose adapters get rid of them BEFORE you go to the 200* thermostat. The plastic MELTS ! I'd change the t and barbs (plastic) anyway before they fail. I went to brass fitting I got from Home Depot.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I posted this elsewhere too..... If anyone installed the coolant filter kit with the PLASTIC T and hose adapters get rid of them BEFORE you go to the 200* thermostat. The plastic MELTS ! I'd change the t and barbs (plastic) anyway before they fail. I went to brass fitting I got from Home Depot.
You're fittings failed for other reasons and not because of the t-stat.

Josh

Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
You are correct...but the extra heat didn't do them any good either! I really like the t-stat! I was just trying to warn others that might have the plastic fittings!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Great question! Our thermostat emulates the design of the factory unit and will fail in a similar fashion.

So you are or are not saying it fails in the open position?

Thanks guys! We have a ton of customers running this particular thermostat with 0 concerns expressed during installation. The actual success rate is far greater than 50%

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14885796

Feel free to follow-up with any additional install concerns/questions!
Greater than 50% is not a good track record in my book. I could be interested if my new Motorcraft stat is not satisfactory but I would have to see more evidence of success.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto 200° vs. Ford 192° thermostat