1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 F500 Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Robb Kiker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of daydreaming on best build:
Since the truck is so short coupled, may work as a tow vehicle for horse trailer, light fifth wheel (camper). With the extra seatting, can take more campers, riders.
Probably have to update drivetrain, brakes, axles, etc. for highway speed and safety. I have access to 2 F350s with powerstrokes and complete drivetrain axles, etc. assume with the larger body and frame, it would not be as much as a challenge as say a F1 or F2 conversion.
Any other trucks of this vintage converted to such use?

Opinions, input and experience appreciated.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Robb Kiker
New User
Hey:

Leaning more toward a dedicated tow vehicle for horse trailer/camper with fifth wheel and gooseneck applications.

Anyone else have a truck so designed?
Any opinions?

After researching and reading the horror stories in other threads, doing away with idea of cab/frame swap and looking to transfer engine, trans, axles, brakes, etc. from F250 power stroke.
Any experience or opinions on this swap?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad someone saved this truck . I posted pictures of it 2 weeks ago [ north Ga rust ] . I found that truck about 4 years ago , It was parked on the other side of the road . Did you ever get into the junk yard across the main road ? I was there when they where selling out, and all cars and trucks where priced at scrap value . I wanted the WWII half track the had but just couldn't figure out what to do with it .

Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Robb Kiker
New User
That was the McAlister junkyard. The current owner is the son Alphus.

I was also interested in some of the vehicles but the Estate of Harold McAlister bid the materials as a whole. So you had to buy everything to get anything.

May could have worked with the Salvager put it was a big company and did not seem they were interested in parting out any of the scrap.

Did you trade on any of the trucks in Cleveland? I saw them and thought about stopping but then Alphus and I got right on this truck.

He had stored it on my property every since he bought it back. Had sold it to a guy in Canton, GA but fella came down with cancer and Al agreed to buy it back to help him out.

Still wondering if anyone has a truck of similar vintage using it as a gooseneck or fifth wheel tow vehicle. Would like some input or suggestions.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 PM
79 Crewcab 4x4
Senior User
I think the back door looks like a front door- flipped side to side, then has the angle part of the window frame cut off and another round one stuck on. It's rough, but I can't say as I've seen another one and definitely want to see it fixed up. Those rear door panels are quite luxurious.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Robb Kiker
New User
Hey Doc. Reread your post and guess you had info superior to me.

I was told by the owner that it bid as a whole and did not have opportunity to purchase individual items.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Robb Kiker
New User
I agree 79. The fit and finish on the doors, including the rear, is very good.
smooth, tight and feels like factory. I would hate to have to duplicate it!

Probably moving over to the diesel forum. Not sure it is really the place, but need some opinions or advice on taking apart a modern F250 with a 7.3 and adapting it to this truck.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Don't flame me, but here is a custom build of the same idea, just different brand.

Big Bertha Build thread x2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Old 08-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Robb Kiker
New User
Hey dmack:

Thanks a lot for the reference. Any help is appreciated.

This proposed project does not seem interesting to the group for discussion.
Maybe some interest from the bow tie crowd

Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I did a 1950 Dodge pickup to a 1988 Ram 1500 swap . It went real easy , front cab mount bolts dropped right into the 88 frame mount . Take lots of measurements , and think it all out before you start . Using a newer frame and suspension saves lots of $ . I also think the Ideal of a fifth wheel hauler would work out fine .

Old 08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by dmack91
Don't flame me, but here is a custom build of the same idea, just different brand.

Big Bertha Build thread x2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

This guy has done an awesome job on on that Chevy.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Robb Kiker
Hey dmack:

Thanks a lot for the reference. Any help is appreciated.

This proposed project does not seem interesting to the group for discussion.
Maybe some interest from the bow tie crowd
I dont speak for everyone but i would love to see your build should you continue with it. Im not sure where you got that we wouldnt be interested.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:28 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I'm also interested in your build so please don't leave us.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 PM
53Tow
Cross-Country
Great truck

Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Mj202073
New User
I know this is an old thread, but I came across it while searching for info on mid-50's crew cabs. I signed up just to let you guys know, (if any of you are still here) that I am the current owner of this truck. I bought it in basically the same condition as the pictures posted by the original poster. I have owned the truck for a couple of months now, and it is coming right along. I will post some current pictures when I have time if anyone is interested. So far, I have bought the truck, I bought 2 parts vehicles for the build: a 1997 school bus that I have removed a 6bt cummins/ Allison combo to use as the drivetrain, and I bought a 1971 ford 4wd dually to rob the dana 60 axles and the divorced transfer case (np205) out of. The whole front body has been disassembled, and the cab was reinforced and removed from the frame. The cab has been sanded down to bare metal to prepare for a LOT of metalwork. The frame is being sandblasted this week, then it will be reinforced, boxed, new crossmembers fabricated, motor mounts fabricated, and then the real work begins. I am ordering axle trusses to weld on, then a completely new, hand built 4-link air ride system will be built, front and rear, additional body mounts will be added (only 4 from the factory), then we will test fit/ modify the cab for motor/trans clearance. All of this will probably take the better part of a month to complete, then we will move on to other systems such as brakes, steering, and driveline. Once all of that is done, it will all get blown back apart for the "pretty stuff".....I also found another forum discussing this exact truck, I will cross-post there also.

Quick Reply: 1953 F500 Crew Cab