1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hot Shot Secret- A viability review for restoring functionality to high mileage 7.3 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Here's an apparently little known secret...

Any product or publication that has the word "secret" in the title... has already put itself on alert.
Im not sure how that is helpful...
Have you used the product?

Understand me clearly when I say this...
I came into testing this product as an absolute skeptic.
My pyro's dont lie.
My SOTP Dyno is a finely tuned piece of equipment.

Those things put together tells me the product is doing some good.

Generalized brand bashing, and snide unfounded cheap shots are not welcome in this thread.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:43 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BoKnowsDiesel
Glad to hear it's working for you Chris! For those of you curious about our products, our website link is in my signature.
I would be interested in seeing a virgin sample analysis. Is that possible?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I took a sample to send in before putting the new stuff in.
I will take a sample to send in of this oil when time comes for next oil change.
I am particularly interested in how the product affects lubricity and what affect it will have on my wear metals.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Christof13T
I took a sample to send in before putting the new stuff in.
I will take a sample to send in of this oil when time comes for next oil change.
I am particularly interested in how the product affects lubricity and what affect it will have on my wear metals.
I'm wondering that myself. The only oil related way I can think of to reduce the suction between the armature plate and the poppet body is to lower the viscosity, like what happens as the oil warms. I have also wondered if checkering/knurling or channeling the underside of the armature plates would help. I suspect it would, and I might give it a try on my worst injector to see if it makes any difference.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
I'm wondering that myself. The only oil related way I can think of to reduce the suction between the armature plate and the poppet body is to lower the viscosity, like what happens as the oil warms. I have also wondered if checkering/knurling or channeling the underside of the armature plates would help. I suspect it would, and I might give it a try on my worst injector to see if it makes any difference.
Any used oil analysis with HSS in the oil I have ever seen always come back with high molybdenum values and not much of anything else notable. *Maybe* slightly lower than expected viscosity but that's a tough call on used oil.

Never seen a virgin analysis, would be interesting to see the viscosity rating. In the bottle it appears to be about the consistency of diesel, I can't imagine that it doesn't drop viscosity.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Im not sure how that is helpful...
It is intended to be helpful insofar as it alerts BoKnowsDiesel, perhaps not for the first time, that one of the sales hurdles that must be overcome for some buyers to try the product is the choice made in naming the product. To be blunter and more direct about it, the title of the product sounds like snake oil, which was the term Clux used earlier. I tried to express the concern the product name evokes in a way that did not call out the product specifically, and in a way that did not condemn the product itself.

Have you used the product?
No. Like I said, the name alone would put me off from trying it.

I also did not receive the product for free, either.

I came into testing this product as an absolute skeptic.
I happened upon this thread as a skeptic also. And the product's name serves only to fuel that skepticism. However, since that is all I can say about it, I will keep quiet, and keep reading. Hopefully, I will learn something more about it.

Generalized brand bashing, and snide unfounded cheap shots are not welcome in this thread.

I agree, and would further add that such comments are not usually welcome in ANY thread. But I stand 100% behind my comment that the choice in naming the product creates an "alert" in my mind, that is another hurdle to overcome before converting me to a customer. That isn't a "cheap shot." That's reality.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
It is intended to be helpful insofar as it alerts BoKnowsDiesel, perhaps not for the first time, that one of the sales hurdles that must be overcome for some buyers to try the product is the choice made in naming the product. To be blunter and more direct about it, the title of the product sounds like snake oil, which was the term Clux used earlier.
Hey, don't drag me into this.

I never mentioned "snake oil" in any way, shape, or form.

What I said was "miracle in a bottle" which is a totally different product....................unique and distinct from both "secrets" and "mysteries" in a bottle and definitely not a lowly "snake oil".

Kinda off topic, but is anybody interested in buying any of my "Cluxie's Magic" fuel additive at $50 a half gallon out there?

Old 08-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Clux you're right. My bad. No one used the term "snake oil" (except me, after the fact).

That just goes to show what I was subconsciously thinking, but didn't say, around the time when I read "miracle in a bottle".

Which goes to show how much I was tip toeing around unfairly classifying this stuff in that category... only commenting on how the name of the product can put a person on "alert".

Again, that is not a "cheap shot". It can be an expensive lesson for some marketers.

Then again, there is probably a larger percentage of people to whom that kind of name appeals, which is maybe why Kiplinger is still able to make a fortune reselling common financial "sense" as some sort of "secret." Sorry to digress. Back to Hot Shots Magic in a Bottle....

Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
This is my understanding as well. Lowering viscosity.
Originally Posted by clux
Any used oil analysis with HSS in the oil I have ever seen always come back with high molybdenum values and not much of anything else notable. *Maybe* slightly lower than expected viscosity but that's a tough call on used oil.

Never seen a virgin analysis, would be interesting to see the viscosity rating.
For those of us who might be noobs on the oil analysis spectrum. Care to elaborate what virgin analysis is?

And for what its worth I agree the name raises my skepticism, but at the same time it would raise my curiousity on such a product and I would read the label very carefully.
Unless I didn't have the time then I would disregard it and never think to buy it.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Awitte58
This is my understanding as well. Lowering viscosity.

For those of us who might be noobs on the oil analysis spectrum. Care to elaborate what virgin analysis is?
An analysis of the product before it is run in an engine, as opposed to a "used" oil analysis. Bob is the Oil Guy has a forum dedicated to virgin analysis of various engine oils.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohhhh I was thinking an analysis of the oil prior to using the product.
I didn't understand how it would help gain knowledge about the product.

Very cool. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:41 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Awitte58
I didn't understand how it would help gain knowledge about the product.
To know what changed while it was in your crankcase, you need to know what you put in, so virgin analysis are very important in evaluating used analysis.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:43 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We used HSS on a co-workers 2005 6.0 and it really made a difference. His injectors were suffering from severe stiction related problems which HSS is specifically designed to remedy. I was under the impression our injectors did not have those specific issues and therefore it did not have as drastic effect.

Works like a champ for 6.0

Old 08-20-2014, 05:40 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
HSS took the injectors in my old 6.0 from all 8 reading failed on a balance test to almost reading brand new. and it even says on the bottle that you don't use the whole bottle every time. I used it full strength every other oil change and it made a HUGE difference. I am going to use it in this 7.3 when I get some more mileage on her too. I tried Rev-x and the archoil 9100 but the HSS had much better results. like was posted before, and also what the label says on the bottle, it is designed for ALL HEUI INJECTION SYSTEMS. the 7.3 injector internal tolerances are much greater than the 6.0, therefore you're not going to see issues with the same severity and frequency, but the injector still works the same way and sooner or later, at some level, you're still gonna see stiction.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
They argue about this stuff and other stuff like it on the 6.0 forum all the time. It's nothing but a medicine show. People have bought miracle cures in a bottle for hundreds of years. Same thing happens today, people prey on the desperate. How can anyone say and actually convince themselves to believe 30 hp was gained at the rear wheels and worn out injectors gained new life from pouring a small bottle of oil in the crankcase?
If there is a benefit, it is very short lived.

Quick Reply: Hot Shot Secret- A viability review for restoring functionality to high mileage 7.3 injectors