1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Texas Trip #2-Ruby Data

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:43 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Texas Trip #2-Ruby Data

Well, we are gearing up for our second big road trip with Ruby (as my wife likes to call her). The BIG difference this time is that we are heavily considering taking the RV. I am all for it as we love the camping part of it, the cheaper lodging, and of course the towing/performance aspect for me.
We have not fully decided yet, but are leaning towards it and talking about it more. We should be pulling out next this Friday morning, so we have to decide by tomorrow and start getting stuff ready to go. The truck is ready with the exception of an oil change, but that's a 30 minute deal one day after work. I am anxious to see how everything does this time with the new front end, E-Fuel, engine monitoring, and TS Chip. The only real guarantee I have is that it is going to really frickin HOT! The desert and West Texas in August can be brutal. Just did a coolant flush with SCA additives last summer, so should be good there.
Anyhoo, I'll be updating here for those that care to follow. I'll include towing performance, fuel mileage, some photo bombing, etc.... I might even try to stop and see fellow FTE dude on the way.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to watching your trip Byron! I'm sure Ruby will do great!

Old 08-17-2014, 12:48 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go ahead and swing by my place while you're out ......LOL!!!

Old 08-17-2014, 12:55 PM
martin72
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld

NOW that is what I would call a road trip!!!!! Hope you have a safe trip.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:53 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Looking forward to watching your trip Byron! I'm sure Ruby will do great!
Thanks Thomas! Cool thing is she is pretty much ready to go!

Originally Posted by ReBilld
Only if I can get a few eggs from "the ladies" and somes zukes and squash!! LOL!!! I'll be right over.

Originally Posted by martin72
NOW that is what I would call a road trip!!!!! Hope you have a safe trip.
Thanks man! It will be quite a trip. Lots of driving when we get there too, but we'll have a home base, so that'll help.

Well, it's been decided that the RV is definitely going! So now it's just some prep to get her ready, which isn't much. Just batten down the hatches, give her a good bath, air in the tires for proper inflation, and off we go!! Stay tuned...

Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Stop in, even though I'm not there, LOL Be safe!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Stop in, even though I'm not there, LOL Be safe!
That's right! Well it was you and Richard. It just depends on what time I leave CA.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Been watching some Youtube vids today. I think I am either going to use my iPhone or try to borrow my friend's GoPro. I'd be curious to get some real world numbers and performance with towing the trailer. Should be fun!! I am also seriously considering deleting the big banks muffler, but not sure if it would really be worth it other than some turbo noise and bad a$$ sounds!! LOL

Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Been watching some Youtube vids today. I think I am either going to use my iPhone or try to borrow my friend's GoPro. I'd be curious to get some real world numbers and performance with towing the trailer. Should be fun!! I am also seriously considering deleting the big banks muffler, but not sure if it would really be worth it other than some turbo noise and bad a$$ sounds!! LOL
These trucks are LOUD straight piped pulling a grade. I'm shocked the wife didn't complain at all.

Have a safe trip brahhhhh.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I love road trips! Subd! As us motorcyclists say, "keep the shiny side up"!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,700 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Originally Posted by tshrager
These trucks are LOUD straight piped pulling a grade. I'm shocked the wife didn't complain at all.

I keep ear plugs in my truck for when I am towing!! last trip hauling hay I told my wife I was going to put a muffler on my truck and she let me know with no uncertain terms that that was not going to happen.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by helifixer
I keep ear plugs in my truck for when I am towing!! last trip hauling hay I told my wife I was going to put a muffler on my truck and she let me know with no uncertain terms that that was not going to happen.
At least the ear plugs are for the truck and not for the wife...

Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tshrager

Will do Todd! keep your phone handy! LOL

Originally Posted by coreyallan01
I love road trips! Subd! As us motorcyclists say, "keep the shiny side up"!
Thanks Corey! I love road trips too. The first 200 miles may be a tad bit stressful just watching everything and making sure it's good, but I always get into a rhythm and enjoy the scenery, fuel stops, and people watching. This trip will be even nicer with camping along the way rather than staying in hotels. It never fails that someone always oogles my truck and offers me some sort of money for it. The last trip I got offered 12k by some oilfield workers while waiting for my wife in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Originally Posted by helifixer
Wow, she actually did not want a muffler put back on? She's a keeper!

Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Nsaan
At least the ear plugs are for the truck and not for the wife...

My wife says my trucks are too loud, but at the same time she says trucks are supposed to be loud. She's hormonal and can't make up her mind about anything right now, lol. Either way the straight pipes are here to stay.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the tranny temps do while towing in the southwest heat. Do you have an upgraded cooler?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:53 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08

My wife says my trucks are too loud, but at the same time she says trucks are supposed to be loud. She's hormonal and can't make up her mind about anything right now, lol. Either way the straight pipes are here to stay.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the tranny temps do while towing in the southwest heat. Do you have an upgraded cooler?
Oh just you wait Phil. The hormones get sooooooooooo much worse. Package that with the ginger factor, I hide often. Lol

Quick Reply: Texas Trip #2-Ruby Data