2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Will we ever get an Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I could see Ford doing the 3.5 as an option in the F250, but not the F350.
..........because everyone knows you need more torque to haul that 3 instead of a 2 on the badges, plus those 2 inch taller suspension blocks.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 AM
boatflounder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well since I will NEVER buy anything with eco in the name I hope not! just a cheesy way of trying to get more money from us!

Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Can't see a 5.0 in a SD?
They've been running 5.4's for a long time.
A bigger, more powerful gas engine? Are you kidding me?
Look at what it took Ford to get to aluminum panels. Does anyone really think that they are going to put heavier engines in them?
Some of you people have got to get a bigger view of this.
Go find a scrapper 460 and beat that dead horse with a stick.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by redford
..........because everyone knows you need more torque to haul that 3 instead of a 2 on the badges, plus those 2 inch taller suspension blocks.

lol I think it would move the F350 around perfectly. The reason you buy an F350 is if the F250 can't do the job. I think the 3.5 would be too stressed to go above the max GVWR of the F250. But hey I'm just speculating.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 PM
chaparro
Senior User
maybe

I had or maybe still have a magazzine. There they showed a prototype, before ford introduced the generation of current line of motors. It was a 5.0 twim turbo direct injection. Plus Etanol injection. Capable to produce 700 hp 700 tq. I rad this article before ecoboost revolution exploded. So maybe we will some day see a ecoboost version in superduttys

Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 AM
BossGasser
Elder User
We will. The engine is designed and engineered for forced induction.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by chaparro
I had or maybe still have a magazzine. There they showed a prototype, before ford introduced the generation of current line of motors. It was a 5.0 twim turbo direct injection. Plus Etanol injection. Capable to produce 700 hp 700 tq. I rad this article before ecoboost revolution exploded. So maybe we will some day see a ecoboost version in superduttys
Yep that was the Bobcat

Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Spuddaddy
New User
Throw a small turbo gas engine in an F250-350 and it becomes a "Not So Super Duty". I pull a camper @ 6000lbs and sometimes a small cabin cruiser @ about 9000lbs on the trailer. I know they aren't the biggest loads, but my old 7.3 will accelerate up most hills pulling these. And I get about 10-11mpg when pulling and 17-18 unloaded. If it had a newer 6 speed transmission, it would do better. A smaller engine w/turbo, working closer to it's max capacity to keep up, won't last nearly as long, or have the pulling power (see torque), period. And for them to make enough power, they will drink the fuel. It's funny, you have to burn fuel to make power and the more power you want.... If they beef the smaller engines up to take the extra stress, then they won't be light weight, have higher reciprocating mass. There goes some of your efficiency. There's a reason you don't see gasser semi trucks any more. When you want to move something big, there's no replacement for displacement. If you want power to do more work, go diesel. Leave the "Eco-Boost" in the little trucks that make the occasional trip to Lowe's to get some flowers or a rake.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:12 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
"Starting with the 2014 Formula 1 season the engines have changed from a 2.4-litre naturally aspirated V8 to turbocharged 1.6 litre V6 "power-units".[78] These get a significant amount of their power from electric motors. In addition they include a lot of energy recovery technology. Engines run on unleaded fuel closely resembling publicly available petrol.[79] The oil which lubricates and protects the engine from overheating is very similar in viscosity to water. The 2006 generation of engines spun up to 20,000 RPM and produced up to 780 bhp (580 kW).[80] For 2007, engines were restricted to 19,000 rpm with limited development areas allowed, following the engine specification freeze from the end of 2006.[81] For the 2009 Formula One season the engines were further restricted to 18,000 rpm.[82]"

Diesel engines are commonly turbo'd. You can't put a 6000 lb engine in a truck because you need the torque. The 6.7 is very small considering the power it puts out. Look at all of the built up Cummins people run. They are not putting in bigger, heavier engines. They are using parts and software.

I've said this before - the 6.2 puts out about 1 hp or 1 tork per cubic inch.
That is just stupid nowadays. A big heavy engine with very little output compared to real performance engines. Makes me laugh.
Keep your rust and cast iron. I'm going to order a twin turbo 5.0 SD when they offer them.
The clock is ticking next to a grave for the V8's.

I had a 1971 Chevy 402 Fat Head big block. Pushed over 400 ponies and Sonny said it had almost twice that in tork. Weighed about 800 lbs.
You think Chevy would do that again?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Spuddaddy
New User
Please don't compare racing engines to what's needed for a truck that's expected to work hard for several years and be reliable.
Formula 1 engines, like other highly stressed/high revving racing engines, are rebuilt after every race. (Assuming they even make it to the end of the race) Top fuel dragsters develop about 12,000bhp and the top ends are pretty much destroyed each run. And when they rebuild these high performance engines, quite often, all the internal parts are scrapped. I don't want to be in the shop every year or so replacing an engine.

There is a point where an engine becomes too small for the application to be reliable, especially in heavy duty/high load applications. There's a reason semi trucks have 15L behemoths in them.
I rebuilt engines for several years and it was always the same. The harder you push them, the faster they wear out or break.
Small engines in big trucks are a trade off of reliability for possibly a couple more miles per gallon. (It still takes so much fuel to do so much work). They're okay if you are going to run unloaded all the time. After you rebuild it once (especially if you wreck the turbo), you've lost all of your savings, maybe even future savings. Also under load, I doubt if you would see much fuel savings if any. My previous truck had a 5.7L gas engine and it got worse mileage pulling than my 7.3L diesel and had a lot less power.
I agree, they don't have to be 7.3L for most applications (I just happen to have an older truck), but 5.0L (especially a gasser), I feel, is pushing the reliability factor too far for "heavy duty" use.
Small engines are better suited for small vehicles and 3/4-1 1/2 ton trucks are not small vehicles.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by BossGasser
"Starting with the 2014 Formula 1 season the engines have changed from a 2.4-litre naturally aspirated V8 to turbocharged 1.6 litre V6 "power-units".[78] These get a significant amount of their power from electric motors. In addition they include a lot of energy recovery technology. Engines run on unleaded fuel closely resembling publicly available petrol.[79] The oil which lubricates and protects the engine from overheating is very similar in viscosity to water. The 2006 generation of engines spun up to 20,000 RPM and produced up to 780 bhp (580 kW).[80] For 2007, engines were restricted to 19,000 rpm with limited development areas allowed, following the engine specification freeze from the end of 2006.[81] For the 2009 Formula One season the engines were further restricted to 18,000 rpm.[82]"

Diesel engines are commonly turbo'd. You can't put a 6000 lb engine in a truck because you need the torque. The 6.7 is very small considering the power it puts out. Look at all of the built up Cummins people run. They are not putting in bigger, heavier engines. They are using parts and software.
I've said this before - the 6.2 puts out about 1 hp or 1 tork per cubic inch.
That is just stupid nowadays. A big heavy engine with very little output compared to real performance engines. Makes me laugh.
Keep your rust and cast iron. I'm going to order a twin turbo 5.0 SD when they offer them.
The clock is ticking next to a grave for the V8's.

I had a 1971 Chevy 402 Fat Head big block. Pushed over 400 ponies and Sonny said it had almost twice that in tork. Weighed about 800 lbs.
You think Chevy would do that again?
There's a big difference between a car that is supposed to be driven around by itself and a vehicle that is designed for 12,000-20,000 lb towing all day every day. Not saying the most owners will do that, but there would be a problem if the vehicle couldn't do that reliably and with longevity. You mentioned Formula 1. They are about $200,000 and only get 500 miles before needing a complete rebuild. They aren't pulling or hauling anything either. I think most truck owners expect nothing short of 500,000 miles until a complete rebuild, which includes off-road, heavy towing and hauling. Oh and it also has to get at least 20mpg highway. The entire truck has to sell for about $60,000. Now Ford could put in a twin-turbo 5.0, but will it meet all the criteria for cost, mpg, capability, dependability, durability, etc.?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I think most truck owners expect nothing short of 500,000 miles until a complete rebuild,
Actually, Ford considered the life of the average truck to be 150,000 miles. With the new F150 they bumped that up to 225,000 miles in testing. The diesel Super duty is a bit more at 250,000 miles. Not that the engines wont last half a million miles, but that's at least double what the original design specs called for.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Technology my friends. When I worked on my own stuff I knew what and where everything was and how it all worked. Walk outside and pop the hood. It's smarter than you are. Me too.
What were exotic materials a few years ago are now common place. You can buy decorative carbon fiber pieces now. Snow boards have CF in them. How did that start? Started in competition.
What else started that way? Almost everything related to vehicles.
Why try to get rid of heat when you can create electricity with it? Charge a battery bank and turn on the boost motor at the bottom of the hill and take your foot off the go pedal. I could buy a bicycle that has en electric motor to help me up the hills. Pretty cool! The batteries charge on the way down the next hill!! Isn't that amazing?!???!!!
Don't start crying about batteries now. You've seen a hybrid car and it has a little emblem on the back.
That emblem looks familiar doesn't it?

BTW - how is it physically possible to use a twin turbo V6 and get a tow rating of 11,300 pounds?
My truck is rated to tow 12,500 pounds.
I think that little guy will run just fine for 150,000 miles.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
"They aren't pulling or hauling anything either."

They pull G's that could kill you or me. Put one on a ceiling at speed and it will drive upside down. Have you not watched? They are tiny and have to be weighted to get up to spec. The parts are tiny and handle incredible loads.
They use to use materials that we currently use.

"I think most truck owners expect nothing short of 500,000 miles"

I I ??????????????????????????????

"will it meet all the criteria for cost, mpg, capability, dependability, durability, etc.?

Yes. They already did it with the F150. Did you miss that?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
The NA V-8 gasser and and diesel purists are still lurking.

I have to agree that an ecoboost mated to a C-6 three speed auto maybe shorter lived if worked hard and long as compared to a larger engine.

The six speed and future 10 speed transmissions will enable smaller displacement engines to perform the same work as a larger engine and last as long too.

One needs to go no further in comparison than two bike riders. One has a 3 speed bike while the other a 10 speed. The rider with the 10 speed will go faster and pull hills better than his competitor and won't be as tired at the end.

Quick Reply: Will we ever get an Ecoboost?