Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Junior User

johnson.jeff.a is starting off with a positive reputation.
kind of urgent question disk and power break conversion advice

Good evening! I just ordered some brake conversion kits (for my 55 f100), and am realizing I should have confirmed a couple of things.

The kit I'm getting is from classic performance products, and contains the same front disk and power conversion available from midfifty as the "whole shebang" kit.

I have two questions...

First, should I have thought more about rotors/calipers clearing in the front wheels? I'm running 15" steel wheels that would have been stock on a late 60's ford f100 (among others). I sort of assumed they would fit, but now I'm remembering that the 55 steel wheels (at least some of them) were 16", and I don't know if these kits require those wheels.

Second, for the power booster, I know I need to pull vacuum off of the motor. My truck has a 292 yblock with 312 heads. I've never messed with changing/adding vacuum lines before. Couple guys told me it'd be easy to do, but I should have done some checking before ordering the kits. Now I'm looking at the intake manifold wondering where I might find the extra vacuum lines I've heard about. I'm going to try and post some pics, in case that helps anyone give me some guidance....

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.... any specific experience with these kits would also be awesome...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Your 15" wheels should work with the disc brake kit. You'll most likely need to add a fitting for your power brake hose. Find a vacuum source or a pipe plug in one of your intake runners and adapt your fitting into there. Know that power brake vacuum hose is special DOT approved hose and is a unique size. Make sure you get the proper size fittings to go with it. Do not try to skimp and use fuel hose or other vacuum line. The correct stuff is very heavy walled to prevent collapsing.

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=2808

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Your 15" wheels should work with the disc brake kit. You'll most likely need to add a fitting for your power brake hose. Find a vacuum source or a pipe plug in one of your intake runners and adapt your fitting into there. Know that power brake vacuum hose is special DOT approved hose and is a unique size. Make sure you get the proper size fittings to go with it. Do not try to skimp and use fuel hose or other vacuum line. The correct stuff is very heavy walled to prevent collapsing.
Thanks, Wayne!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Junior User

New Pics, educated guess and question.

First, I think I've figured out where I need to pull vacuum from (help from Wayne and Youtube. See green circles in the picture with the large "A" on it below. Anyone wanting to tell me I'm right or way off base, is welcome.

Second, Does anyone know what the highlighted line is in the picture with the big "B" on it? I think it is a vacuum line. Seems to run from intake manifold to the back of the block. The connection at the block is very loose... I can just slide the rubber hose on/off the metal tube in connects to. Seems like that's bound to be a vacuum leak... if it is a vacuum line.???

Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Not being a Y-block expert, I'm guessing the two bolts you have circled are attaching bolts, not vacuum ports, and the hose you reference is your crankcase vent, not a vacuum line. Keep looking.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
"A" locations are mounting bolts. "B" location does appear to be a crankcase vent. I don't see a Vacuum port on your manifold. There is a round boss behind your carb slightly on the passenger side that looks like it could be drilled and tapped. On my 312 I have a port on the back of my carb ( I use for crankcase vent ), can't tell if you have one but if so it could be used. You could use a carb spacer and install a port in the spacer.

I will take a photo of my port tonight and post it.
2013 Taurus (Ginger)
Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Junior User

Thanks, Wayne and Mike. I feel more than a little stupid, and appreciate your not pointing that out (at least not obviously).

Mike, pictures would be fantastic. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
The crankcase breather is hooked to vacuum, otherwise it would not suck . You could either "T" off that line or some of those carbs had a vacuum port on the base in the front you could use. Ford also used a cast riser under those carbs with a vacuum port that you could find and use for your brake system.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Jeff, here are a couple photos of my booster connection. It is the brass T at the end of the polished aluminum tube, other side of T is for the transmission. You can also see my PCV connected to the rear of the carb. Dave is correct, you could tap into the PCV line, I prefer to keep pcv and booset separate but there is no reason it wouldn't work.

2013 Taurus (Ginger)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1 View Post
Jeff, here are a couple photos of my booster connection. It is the brass T at the end of the polished aluminum tube, other side of T is for the transmission. You can also see my PCV connected to the rear of the carb. Dave is correct, you could tap into the PCV line, I prefer to keep pcv and booset separate but there is no reason it wouldn't work....
Thanks! Looks nice.
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords View Post
The crankcase breather is hooked to vacuum, otherwise it would not suck . You could either "T" off that line or some of those carbs had a vacuum port on the base in the front you could use. Ford also used a cast riser under those carbs with a vacuum port that you could find and use for your brake system.
Awesome. Thanks!

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks