Anyone have one of the military surplus trailers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 PM
F250FX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have one of the military surplus trailers?

I picked up a brand new M1102 trailer a few weeks ago.

I didn't need it for any particular reason, but it was a good price and I think they're cool. The brand new 37s on it alone were worth more than half of what I paid for the whole thing.

It seemed a shame to cut off the plug, so I bit the bullet and paid $140 for an adapter from the NATO 12 pin to 7 pin adapter for the lights. Now I just need to change out the bulbs to 12v bulbs, get it registered, and I'm good to go.

The reason I originally started looking at trailers was so I could store my kayaks on the trailer, have all the gear loaded the night before, keep the trailer in the garage and in the morning just hook up my truck and go fishing.

I bought the tallest pintle hitch riser I could find, and it looks to still be about an inch and a half too short. I towed it home with a straight pintle hook, and it was at a pretty steep angle.

This thing is completely overkill for hauling kayaks, but I'm still thinking about building a kayak rack slightly above the trailer bed. I could strap the kayaks directly to the bed, but I'd like it open/accessible to throw other gear in and be able to work the tailgate.

One more plan is to build a platform on top of it maybe 7ft up above the trailer bed for land based shark fishing. I know a guy that's offered to weld it up for me. The deal with this is the trailer won't fit into my garage with it on there. It'll be bolt on, so it'll be removable, but it's gonna be a pain in the *** to put it on and off. I'm hoping to get this done before a shark fishing tournament at the end of september, will post pictures when it's done.

Other than that, I plan to just use it to haul stuff when needed, and I'll sleep in it when camping.

Anyone have one of these? Let's see your setup!

I don't have any good pictures of mine, but here's a google image to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious - what does one of those go for at the auction ?

Dan

Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have one of these, but a guy a couple blocks away does. I see it mostly be used for hauling trash and junk but he has made it, somehow, into a camper. When he has this setup in the trailer it makes the trailer look like an offroad jeep camper trailer, or similar. When I get home I'll try to track him down and see if it was something he did from plans or just something he came up on his own.