Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Signs of a loose injector??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank I am glad to hear you got the injectors retorques and that you had a spare vc gasket !
So you are leaving the Sunshine state? 3100 miles that's pretty far even for you. Are you moving to the north west ? New job?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I so get that fifty-cent fail mod.

Congratulations! I'm glad you found what you did and it was that easy to resolve. You wouldn't think something that insignificant can change the way these trucks sound - but it does. I've had them as much as a full turn loose - excluding the time #8 prairie-dogged out of the hole and I blew a cup from combustion pressures shock.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Nice find Franko, glad its back together. Where are you going? Work, vacation, Hunting?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Frank I am glad to hear you got the injectors retorques and that you had a spare vc gasket !
So you are leaving the Sunshine state? 3100 miles that's pretty far even for you. Are you moving to the north west ? New job?
Yes, I have had enough of this state & the east coast as a whole. I'm heading to Oregon for cooler weather & actual seasons.
Gonna get back into local trucking,

Originally Posted by Tugly
I so get that fifty-cent fail mod.
Congratulations! I'm glad you found what you did and it was that easy to resolve. You wouldn't think something that insignificant can change the way these trucks sound - but it does. I've had them as much as a full turn loose - excluding the time #8 prairie-dogged out of the hole and I blew a cup from combustion pressures shock.
I guess I did get in there in time...I don't want to deal with cups just yet.

The two tabs were completely broke off

Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I may have just discovered why I keep losing #7 injector (it gets real loud and I swap it out). My passenger-side fuel line is pinched, right next to the up pipe. I have no freaking clue how that could happen. I've been eying the passenger-side EGT gauge since I installed it, and it was sometimes good, sometimes bad... but never really synced with the driver side. I suspected fuel or oil issues for a long time, but this caught me completely by surprise.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I may have just discovered why I keep losing #7 injector (it gets real loud and I swap it out). My passenger-side fuel line is pinched, right next to the up pipe. I have no freaking clue how that could happen. I've been eying the passenger-side EGT gauge since I installed it, and it was sometimes good, sometimes bad... but never really synced with the driver side. I suspected fuel or oil issues for a long time, but this caught me completely by surprise.
That is a strange place to have a pinch. Has that fitting ever been tightened? can't imagine how else it got pinched

This is the area I'm thing of.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I've never done anything to that end of the fuel line. I removed the motor lift eye to get access back there, and that was waiting for me.

*EDIT*

I just learned the pinch is normal.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I just learned the pinch is normal.
Yep. I seen the thread. I've noticed the same marks on my fuel lines.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Good luck on your trip Frank. If you have troubles you have a whole bunch of help along the way to help you out, lets just hope everything goes just fine. I'm with ya on the cooler weather. This humidity is killing me down here.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Good luck on your trip Frank. If you have troubles you have a whole bunch of help along the way to help you out, lets just hope everything goes just fine. I'm with ya on the cooler weather. This humidity is killing me down here.
Thanks Rob. I'm hoping for a non eventful trip.
Gonna take my time and squeeze out as much mpg's as possible.

I've spent the last two weekends changing every fluid on my truck, & checking everything. This weekend I'm pulling/inspecting/repacking wheel bearings on the camper.
I'll pick up a spare bearing set just to be safe.

I'm done with Florida...

Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
You say that until the snow hits with that 2WD DRW.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Franko72
Thanks Rob. I'm hoping for a non eventful trip.
Gonna take my time and squeeze out as much mpg's as possible.

I've spent the last two weekends changing every fluid on my truck, & checking everything. This weekend I'm pulling/inspecting/repacking wheel bearings on the camper.
I'll pick up a spare bearing set just to be safe.

I'm done with Florida...
Frank I have faith that you are well prepared for the trip. I hope you have a safe trip! But are you sure you want to really deal with winters again? And driving a truck for a living in the winter with all the stupid people on the road that is going to be the hard part. You remember when you use to live up north and it was like every first snow everyone forgets how to drive in it.

You say that until the snow hits with that 2WD DRW.
Rich I have no problem with driving in the snow in my 2wd DRW. Or should I say I have no issue up to about 12" inch of snow with it being a 2wd. Actually being a DRW that helps grab the snow better than a srw. It is lika..like a 4wd just that all 4 drive tires are on the back. LOL I would have made another joke I just don't want to having someone getting mad at me. I think having the B.F. Goodrick Commerical T/A Tractions on the DRW helps alot. My last truck was a '89 F150 4x4 Lariat and I needed the 4x4 when we only had about 6" of snow. Now I would not feel safe driving any 2wd on some of the mountain roads you drive in the winter. I repect you guys that drive in the mountains in the winter with snow and the scarest for me is ice! But with ice it doesn't matter if it is 4wd you are lucky if you can keep it between the lines.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
The plan is to retire my truck from daily duties once I get there. I'd like to convert it to 4wd one day, but not for winter driving.
I'll pick up a small front wheel drive vw or all wheel drive Subaru to get me where I want to go.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Or should I say I have no issue up to about 12" inch of snow with it being a 2wd. Actually being a DRW that helps grab the snow better than a srw. It is lika..like a 4wd just that all 4 drive tires are on the back.... ...Now I would not feel safe driving any 2wd on some of the mountain roads you drive in the winter. I repect you guys that drive in the mountains in the winter with snow and the scarest for me is ice! But with ice it doesn't matter if it is 4wd you are lucky if you can keep it between the lines.
The ice - nasty stuff. It actually helps to stay in 2WD on ice - that way the front and back aren't duking it out over the speed of the vehicle. When it comes to braking on ice, neutral is your friend.

Depending on the part of Oregon, it could be the "slimy" snow or the fluffy stuff. Slimy snow is what Seattle gets, with those crazy-steep streets. I wouldn't drive the slimy stuff in Seattle with anything but a tank. All those drivers that don't know how to drive on snow - and it's the worst snow on the worst roads in the worst traffic conditions. This is when YouTube loads up with "Amazing Crashes" videos. Anybody remember the city bus almost falling onto I-5? What good does it do to have a practiced driver with 4WD and good tires in a Superduty - when a freaking bus falls on your ***?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Well the truck was nice & quiet for a few days... Now It sounds like I have another loose injector on the drivers side.

Guess I'll pull the VC and double check. Someone needs to come out with Two piece VC's to make maintenance Just a little easier.

CLAY..............

Quick Reply: Signs of a loose injector??