6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

oil filter changing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
oil filter changing.

I use motor craft filters on all my fords but I'm considering jumping ship on my 6.7l... Here's why:

Even with a small punch that is just shy of the total length of the filter, I still get a boat load of oil leaking out the side of the filter when I unscrew it. I'm pretty sure the anti drain back valve is still holding oil in the filter mount...which is what it is supposed to do.

Does any one have the same issue on the mc filter, or do they all have the same issue?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Although it does help with the weight, I don't punch anymore. I just let it drain for awhile and hold on tight when I remove it later.
Same experience as you when removing.

I would rather deal with this small problem fixed by a bucket and gloves than have to waste energy arguing with Ford about a filter if my engine blows up one day.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I punch my Motorcraft filter about 3/4 to 1 inch in and get next to nothing when I spin it off 10 minutes later....

Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I just turn slowly and let it drain till it is done then remove holding on tight.

I reserve the punching for a filter that refuses to budge.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate to say it, but I refuse to believe anybody that says punching the filter results in no spilled oil when changing the filter. The outer chamber of the filter is where the anti-drain valve holds oil. All the punching in the world can't drain that area above the filter because the oil cannot migrate to the center chamber. Unless you have a bad filter, there is always going to be oil trapped above the filter in the mount.

I gave up after several tries and just loosen it enough to let the oil run down the side until it feels it has made enough of a mess then I unscrew it and curse.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know, this last time went slicker than snot on a door ****. Punched a hole in the filter, walked away and it was as empty as my wallet after a fill up at the diesel pump when I came back.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would one of these work for the Ford filter? I bought one for my RAM and I haven't had issue with oil draining down the side:

This is from Geno's garage which is a common place to source parts for RAM owners. I think Parker/Racor makes this thing as well.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jus2shy
Would one of these work for the Ford filter? I bought one for my RAM and I haven't had issue with oil draining down the side:

This is from Geno's garage which is a common place to source parts for RAM owners. I think Parker/Racor makes this thing as well.
A filter coozie? No thanks, I like to drink my used filter oil warm.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 PM
4df150
Elder User
Received 305 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by bridge
A filter coozie? No thanks, I like to drink my used filter oil warm.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the replies.

The oil spilling past the filter after punching it isn't really a big deal. I was just wondering if anyone else experinced the same thing or not.

I like the mc filters as I get them for $10 locally so I prolly won't change.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:06 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
I hate to say it, but I refuse to believe anybody that says punching the filter results in no spilled oil when changing the filter. The outer chamber of the filter is where the anti-drain valve holds oil. All the punching in the world can't drain that area above the filter because the oil cannot migrate to the center chamber. Unless you have a bad filter, there is always going to be oil trapped above the filter in the mount.

I gave up after several tries and just loosen it enough to let the oil run down the side until it feels it has made enough of a mess then I unscrew it and curse.

You can hate to say it all you want. I just changed mine this week. One punch dead center in the bottom of the filter and no spillage. Same as the last time and the time before that and... Well, you get the idea.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just put a 5gal kitty litter bucket under the drain plug and the filter, open both and wait 10 minutes. Like others, rubber gloves and use the time to grab the new oil and filter, hold on tight and unscrew the rest of the way, dump it over when it's off.

I dunno, doesn't seem like it's worth digging out more tools but I hope you get it figured out.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM
drewtk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I punch the bottom and wait a few minutes, but there's still oil coming out around the edge of the filter. No biggie to me because I use nitrile gloves.

One tip for draining the oil from the sump is to use a Fumoto valve. It replaces the drain plug with a valve. You can even attach a rubber hose to it, which is what I do, and then drain directly into your recycle container. Makes the job much simpler.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
I had a fram sure drain once. Worked great till it got peeled off by accident going through a drift in a snow storm.

Luckily no engine damage occurred.

Not a fan of valves on a oil pan anymore.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had the oil and filter changed this morning at the local Ford shop - and have to say that even with their big drain under the filter, the tech was still able to dump a bunch on the floor to go along with the quart from the sump that overshot the edge when he pulled the plug.

It was a good choice to have Ford do the change this time as they charged me even less per 5 quart jug of Motorcraft diesel blend then Walmart and the Motorcraft filter price was within a few pennies - and I didn't have to worry about carting the waste oil to a disposal place then cleaning up what I sloshed on my driveway. Regardless of who did it - it still took a BIG chunk out of a hundred dollar bill.

Quick Reply: oil filter changing.