Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Information Junkie

dman255 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Donivon Dman255
Turbo upgrade

My truck is in shop getting cab off repairs. I was thinking I'd like to upgrade the turbo. I've searched around and am quite interested in swapping out my atmospheric turbo for the 72mm or 71mm drop in turbo from river city diesel. Anybody do this or have advise/opinions? Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Posting Guru

RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If I were to change out the turbo, I'd change it to a single turbo setup. I've read nothing but positive posts from those that have done it.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Postmaster

UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.
The atmospheric swap is a very good bang for your buck as far as cost to hp gained.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Posting Guru

SANDDEMON08 has a very good reputation on FTE.SANDDEMON08 has a very good reputation on FTE.SANDDEMON08 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman255 View Post
My truck is in shop getting cab off repairs. I was thinking I'd like to upgrade the turbo. I've searched around and am quite interested in swapping out my atmospheric turbo for the 72mm or 71mm drop in turbo from river city diesel. Anybody do this or have advise/opinions? Thanks

I am running the 72mm atmosphere from elite diesel. Defiantly worth it if your running a medium to hot tune. The two mods that i have seen the biggest results from is the 72mm turbo www.elitedieselengineering.com - TowpowerPlusAtmosphereTurbo and the ported z-max jr intake www.elitedieselengineering.com - ZMaxJrPortedIntakeManifold64LPowerstroke

I don't realy race my truck but i tow nearly every day. I am towing 22,000-30,000 combination trailer and cargo load alone not including the truck and I rarely see over 1280 EGT's with the 210 TP tune from spartan. With the stock LP turbo i would see 1400-1490 usually had to back out of it i really dont like to see over 1250 during a long hard pull.

Now with all that being said the drop in 72mm LP turbo was hot in 2012 now several years later they have drop in 75mm LP turbo's and some even larger that seem to be the ticket. These larger turbos offer even Lower EGTS's and much lower drive pressures resulting in even greater performance. Something to look into if your seriously looking up upgrading the LP turbo. These larger move advanced turbos where not available when i did my swap or i would have probably gone bigger. I don't think you can get to much air when it comes to towing.

My next upgrade is probably gonna be the 59mm VGT to compliment the 72 i currently have. I am not a big fan of the singles on the 6.4, seems the aftermarket has spent a lot more time with the factory dual turbo set-up combinations which really cant be matched in overall well rounded performance. I am not saying large single turbos cant make the same power , IMHO they do not have near the time in research, tuning, refining and overall set-up as the dual turbo set-ups have on the market today.
08 F350 CC FX4, 6.4 PSD,PMF 4.5" LIFT WITH TRACTION BARS,4.30 REAR,NAV,DASH DAQ,VOLANT INTAKE,SPEARCO INTERCOOLER,STAGE III WATER/METH,67 GAL TITAN TANK,EGR DELETE,ARP HEAD STUDS,72MM LP BILLET TURBO,RCD CONVERTER,FS-2500 BYPASS FILTER, AIR DOG II FUEL PUMP,CUSTOM CCV,MAG-HYTEC TRANS PAN AND DIFF COVER, CUSTOM HD TRANS COOLER, SEIC MOD,AMP STEPS
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Information Junkie

dman255 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Donivon Dman255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08 View Post
I am running the 72mm atmosphere from elite diesel. Defiantly worth it if your running a medium to hot tune. The two mods that i have seen the biggest results from is the 72mm turbo www.elitedieselengineering.com - TowpowerPlusAtmosphereTurbo and the ported z-max jr intake www.elitedieselengineering.com - ZMaxJrPortedIntakeManifold64LPowerstroke

I don't realy race my truck but i tow nearly every day. I am towing 22,000-30,000 combination trailer and cargo load alone not including the truck and I rarely see over 1280 EGT's with the 210 TP tune from spartan. With the stock LP turbo i would see 1400-1490 usually had to back out of it i really dont like to see over 1250 during a long hard pull.

Now with all that being said the drop in 72mm LP turbo was hot in 2012 now several years later they have drop in 75mm LP turbo's and some even larger that seem to be the ticket. These larger turbos offer even Lower EGTS's and much lower drive pressures resulting in even greater performance. Something to look into if your seriously looking up upgrading the LP turbo. These larger move advanced turbos where not available when i did my swap or i would have probably gone bigger. I don't think you can get to much air when it comes to towing.

My next upgrade is probably gonna be the 59mm VGT to compliment the 72 i currently have. I am not a big fan of the singles on the 6.4, seems the aftermarket has spent a lot more time with the factory dual turbo set-up combinations which really cant be matched in overall well rounded performance. I am not saying large single turbos cant make the same power , IMHO they do not have near the time in research, tuning, refining and overall set-up as the dual turbo set-ups have on the market today.
Thanks for the advice i'm definitely going to look into the bigger LP turbo. Probably down the road maybe 6 months. The work that's being done right now has really put a hit on the pocketbook lol!! Thought i could swing it but now better wait.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel