1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning! don't buy anything ford certified

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
andrewzx92000
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Warning! don't buy anything ford certified

Last Tuesday I paid $3500 for a ford certified transmission 5R110W for my V10.
It leaked fluid out the first day and I went back to the dealer, overfilled was the verdict. I towed 300 miles the next day and the tranny leaked. I washed it off and looked at it to find a crack in the housing behind the dipstick on the passenger side. I went to a Ford dealer. OrigionallyI wanted a Ford Remanufactured transmission, but none available. But the 100k/3yr on the certified sounded good enough.
Now I have waited since last Friday and this is Tuesday, to find out that Ford did not rebuild this transmission, but a company called RMP rebuilt it for Ford, but then I found out that they didn't rebuild it either, another company actually rebuilt it, yes three in the line of events. The rebuilder blames the Ford dealer for putting the dip stick in wrong and that cracked the transmission. RMP says that they will not warranty a cracked transmission case. The dealers are saying its the rebuilders fault and I am just the customer stuck on the side of the road at a friends house while these folks go the run around about who's responsible. What ever you do do not buy a ford certified product, they had nothing to do with rebuilding it accept they took $1000 bucks for warranty off me and haven't put any pressure on these companies to get a transmission to me. Andrew.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.........If worse comes to worse, get a big poster that says "Ford Dealer Is A Cheat" and park in front of the dealership. They'll fix you up in 24 hours.

Last edited by redford; 07-30-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Removed legal advice
Old 07-29-2014, 02:47 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
yes...its all about the money grab

Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel for you but this has nothing to do with Ford. The only time Ford has anything to do with it is if it is an actual Ford reman which you said wasn't available. RMP is a distributor that sells authorized Ford reman products to dealers. But when the Ford product isn't available they will try to sell the dealer a reman that I don't have a clue where they purchase. Unfortunately, as you are finding out, RMP can be difficult to deal with.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:06 PM
andrewzx92000
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford certified, they took my warranty money and they haven't said anything to get the ball rolling on this. Certified was only called today. Why did I go to ford for my rebuild? I wanted a product that could be warrantied anywhere in the country by a company that could put some pressure on a tranny rebuilding company to do what is right. As yet they are indeed acting like it is none of their responsibility. Andrew.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
My experience and that of others I know with dealer warranties is not good. I did finally get VW to fix an intermittent no start issue on my '02 Jetta TDI still under original new warranty. They kept telling me nothing was wrong with the car and I kept getting stranded. The last time I took it in to them, I got a courtesy car and refused to come back for mine until they did something to it. I still was getting nowhere so had a lawyer (via Prepaid Legal) write them a letter quoting their verbal promise that it would be fixed even if my warranty ran out as it was a pre-existing issue. After the service manager (who was quoted) got done yelling, I asked him what he thought was wrong with it. "Probably the GPR. For $60 I can put one in for you."

i couldn't believe they were giving me that kind of run-around over a $60 part on a car I paid them more than $30k for that was still on original warranty. "You put in that GPR under warranty and I'll take the car back. Not a chance until then."

A Ford dealer took in one company F350 7.3L and went on a parts changing spree without getting permission, and finally called saying it needed a new engine. The company rep who went in to look saw the codes they read were still up on the code reader and they hadn't bothered to change the $60 electrical part the codes pointed to. He did and drove the truck away without paying. They threatened to sue but dropped it after hearing back from company lawyers. That was the last time Ford serviced the company fleet.

If you paid Ford for the transmission, it's Ford's problem to sort it out with whoever they bought it from. Definitely not your problem. It became Ford's problem when they sold it to you. You paid them for a certified transmission and got a busted one instead. I would definitely give prepaid legal a call if you have that coverage. I don't know if they will deal with issues that predate your membership if you don't already have the coverage.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:45 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Originally Posted by NorthernWild
If you paid Ford for the transmission, it's Ford's problem to sort it out with whoever they bought it from. Definitely not your problem. It became Ford's problem when they sold it to you. You paid them for a certified transmission and got a busted one instead. I would definitely give prepaid legal a call if you have that coverage. I don't know if they will deal with issues that predate your membership if you don't already have the coverage.
Once again, this has nothing to do with FORD because it is not a Ford authorized reman. It is between the dealer and whoever they bought the transmission from (RMP). It sucks the OP has to deal with this and I feel for him.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jpr38057
It is between the dealer and whoever they bought the transmission from (RMP(.
Right, so the DEALER needs to warranty the part they installed. It doesn't matter where it came from, the dealer installed it and warrantied it, so the impetus is on them to correct the situation. I don't care if they bought the transmission from Martians, they warrantied it and as long as the defect can't be blamed on the owner then they need to replace it and sort out their supplier issues on their own time.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 PM
NorthernWild
Junior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Right, so the DEALER needs to warranty the part they installed. It doesn't matter where it came from, the dealer installed it and warrantied it, so the impetus is on them to correct the situation. I don't care if they bought the transmission from Martians, they warrantied it and as long as the defect can't be blamed on the owner then they need to replace it and sort out their supplier issues on their own time.
Yes. What texans tech_diesel said.

Sorry jpr38057, I was using the term FORD as a synonym for the Ford dealer, which it is not. However, the "Ford certified" part sounds like a program that goes beyond the dealer (feel free to correct that if the term in quotes does not mean what it says and the warranty is not by Ford corporation).

Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

The dealer doesn't warranty anything. They honor the manufacturers warranty. Regardless, one or the other needs to replace the op's transmission.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Yes. What texans tech_diesel said.

Sorry jpr38057, I was using the term FORD as a synonym for the Ford dealer, which it is not. However, the "Ford certified" part sounds like a program that goes beyond the dealer (feel free to correct that if the term in quotes does not mean what it says and the warranty is not by Ford corporation).

There is only one type of transmission, engine etc that Ford stands behind and that is Ford authorized reman. The op stated that a Ford authorized reman was not available and the dealer bought a transmission from these people, RMP Parts . These are the people that provide the warranty for the transmission. These people are a pain in the rump to deal with. I have to do it everyday.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Anything that uses the Ford name is Ford. They need to get behind it. My local dealer gets scores based on what I tell Ford when they do random satisfaction phone calls.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Anything that uses the Ford name is Ford. They need to get behind it. My local dealer gets scores based on what I tell Ford when they do random satisfaction phone calls.

Who is they? What needs to be happening is the dealer needs to be reaming RMP for a replacement. If a Chevrolet dealership installed a transmission from Autozone and it had the same issue as the op, do you think the Chevy dealer would/should provide a new transmission?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by jpr38057
Who is they? What needs to be happening is the dealer needs to be reaming RMP for a replacement. If a Chevrolet dealership installed a transmission from Autozone and it had the same issue as the op, do you think the Chevy dealer would/should provide a new transmission?
They is Ford corporation. The brand.

Dealer should pressure RMP and Ford corporate should pressure and help the dealer to protect the brand's reputation.

If the Chevy dealer sold Autozone with the Chevy name attached then yes.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
They is Ford corporation. The brand.

Dealer should pressure RMP and Ford corporate should pressure and help the dealer to protect the brand's reputation.

If the Chevy dealer sold Autozone with the Chevy name attached then yes.
Once again, this has nothing to do with Ford corporate and they would do nothing. The op stated that the transmission was Ford certified. I can guarantee you that the transmission is not certified by Ford. Look at the first link of this google search https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Is Ford going to stand behind this product?

And I will say once again that unfortunately the op is stuck in the middle and someone (not Ford) needs to replace the transmission.

Quick Reply: Warning! don't buy anything ford certified