Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need a remanufactured 7.3 Long Block

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sucks to hear....reason 2,483 i change my own oil....

Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think most of us are in agreement that you need to get it filled up and run it. No offense to your son being a helicopter mechanic but I'm sure he's not up to par on the way the heui injection systems work.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 AM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
Curious if it's feasible or worth the time but would it help if u opened the oil rail plugs and turned it over would it help bleed the air or screw it up worse?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nookiemonster55
Curious if it's feasible or worth the time but would it help if u opened the oil rail plugs and turned it over would it help bleed the air or screw it up worse?
With a system that runs high pressure that's the last thing you want to do. It runs between 500-3000ish psi.

I heard one guy ask a similar questions about my 6.7 that runs at 25k psi, completely different systems. It's not a dumb question if you don't know or understand what's going on within it. You could hurt yourself/someone bad enough to not feel the pain if you get what I'm saying

Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nookiemonster55
I do that every time I pull and install an injector, one head at a time. With the 42 pin connector off, I pull the ICP sensor from the left head and crank until I get a little oil out of the port, then replace the ICP sensor and pull the furthest forward rail plug I can get to easily and do the same thing. I also bleed the air out of the fuel rails by loosening, but not completely removing, the test port plugs one at a time and turning the key on until some fuel seeps out from the threads. It probably doesn't need to be said, but don't do either of these things with an injector out . . .

Old 07-30-2014, 03:24 PM
JoeFin
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Before giving up hope on the engine, aerated oil makes gawd-awful banging - not unlike a rod knock. Remember the upper half of the engine is fed oil from the injector oil spouts, not from lifters and pushrods like on conventional motors. When the oil gets too low to feed the HPOP, the engine just stops, but the air in the oil will make it run rough and knock before dying. I've heard that sound more times than I can count - remember I'm the 'jector popping king. Have another shop replace the oil (on the first shop's dime) and see what happens.

Guys I hear ya load and clear here

And yes I thought about it when the boys woke me up to tell me about the truck.

I noticed the truck was running a little rough / off par the last 2 miles as I was pulling up home. I was too tired to look into it at that moment and just parked it.

I'm thinking the truck was running off the bottom of the pan, sucking some air, pulling a 10K trailer on a 104F July afternoon, through no fault of my own due to the shoddy workmanship from a Corporation that pushes these young mechanics to cut every conceivable corner to rake in a profit and still doesn't pay these kids a livable wage

Your Damm Straight an oil sample is being pulled and tested by an independent lab

The symptoms of the rod knock are also right in line with scorched / scarred crank bearings starved for oil on a hot day that cooled off and were restarted again.

The oil analysis will tell the tale

Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Is it running smooth again or still banging like a couple of hot teens in the back seat of a Ford LTD?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 PM
puller45
Senior User
You have nothing to lose by filling the oil and running it for awhile. as has been stated your engine may not be damaged. There are many stories on here of engines running low enough on oil to produce the symptoms you are describing without any damage. Give it a try.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Inquiring minds want to know"....like has been suggested time and time again, fill'er up and let'er run. You think it's toast, but it may not be...so what's the harm?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Is it running smooth again or still banging like a couple of hot teens in the back seat of a Ford LTD?
Filling in for my sense of humor that I seem to have lost?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:16 PM
puller45
Senior User
any updates??

Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 AM
JoeFin
Junior User
Guys - I'll keep you posted

Because there is a "claims adjuster" representing the national chain store Ford Fleet Service will not be inspecting the engine until next week. At that time once an oil sample is taken, they will refill the engine with oil and finish diagnosing the truck's engine.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
JoeFin
Junior User
Ford Fleet Service gave my truck a "Clean Bill of Health"

Said there was NO metallic substance in the oil sample. The cause of the leak has been attributed to a Failed Oil Filter Gasket (ya right) and Ford Fleet changed the filter and oil.

Of course I set my Banks 6 Gun up to Warp 6 and 'punched it' all the way home just to make sure

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
.......still banging like a couple of hot teens in the back seat of a Ford LTD?
Memories from my youth.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeFin
Ford Fleet Service gave my truck a "Clean Bill of Health"

Said there was NO metallic substance in the oil sample. The cause of the leak has been attributed to a Failed Oil Filter Gasket (ya right) and Ford Fleet changed the filter and oil.

Of course I set my Banks 6 Gun up to Warp 6 and 'punched it' all the way home just to make sure

So all is good in 7.3 land again? Good to hear if yes!

Quick Reply: Need a remanufactured 7.3 Long Block