1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:56 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Randle, what size tank do you have and regulator for your welder. I have a Hobart 130 too. I've been using Flux core but want to switch to gas.
....not Randle but, I have a Lincoln 140C MIG. I have an 80 cu. ft. cylinder of 75/25 (75% Argon, 25% CO2). --although my cart will handle up to a 150 cu ft cylinder.

https://www.google.com/search?client...agbrEA-xGZM%3A

My gauges came with the welder but, the gauge for the cylinder ranges from 0-4,000 PSI directly from the cylinder and the gauge on the regulated side goes from 0-30 L/min.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:32 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Randle
Right now I'm using a #2 but I have a #4 tank coming a friend of mine is giving me. As much as I us it the 4 will be a lot better. I'm using the a Air Products regulator off of a gig welder I have
Originally Posted by ultraranger
....not Randle but, I have a Lincoln 140C MIG. I have an 80 cu. ft. cylinder of 75/25 (75% Argon, 25% CO2). --although my cart will handle up to a 150 cu ft cylinder.

https://www.google.com/search?client...agbrEA-xGZM%3A

My gauges came with the welder but, the gauge for the cylinder ranges from 0-4,000 PSI directly from the cylinder and the gauge on the regulated side goes from 0-30 L/min.
Thank you both, Gentlemen.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:37 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Congrats on the 2nd place Randle. I too question the judges. That Mustang would be a close 2nd in my opinion. I would have given you "Best of Row".
I'm not sure if I'm in the middle of Steve and Rich or a combination of both. I think you and I are the same in that we don't do anything for the recognition. BUT, everyone likes a pat on the back and an "ataboy". Right Rich? And we here are 1st to do that for talent such as yours. Here's your Royal Ataboy.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah yes.. but it seems being the best or #1 is a human thing Right!

It's in all type of sports, all types of racing, and for some men it's a woman trophy.
It's in cook offs and so on.

Many of us are controled by the wife or the amount of money we can p!ss away on are hobbies to make it #1. And if it's being judges you may get a trophy

Yrs ago back in the 70's a buddy's wife won a trophy almost every time in a stock class in the woman power puff drag racing. And her husband in his 442 Olds never won shxt due to the class he was in.

Back then weekly drag racers lied about being stock bore & stroke so just a regular guy would always get beat.
And her poor husband never won any trophy's racing.

But her husband was very good at bowling and did win many trophy's while he played.

I guess some of us are driven at being the best contenders.

All depends what's in us all. Is you is or is you not a contender.
My.02
Orich

Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Guys for all the ataboys and complements on the truck and my work on it. I’ve never been one to be competitive or to seek a lot of recognition but yes it does make you feel good to get it. My big thing I just love to work with these old rigs and to see my ideas come together. I guess on second thought I am a little competitive I do like it bet some of the shop built rigs. LOL

Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Thanks Guys for all the ataboys and complements on the truck and my work on it. I’ve never been one to be competitive or to seek a lot of recognition but yes it does make you feel good to get it. My big thing I just love to work with these old rigs and to see my ideas come together. I guess on second thought I am a little competitive I do like it bet some of the shop built rigs. LOL
Beating some shop built rigs?! I guess that means you built a "Home Brewed" Ark. And they have the Titanic!

Old 07-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Beating some shop built rigs?! I guess that means you built a "Home Brewed" Ark. And they have the Titanic!
That is a good way to put it. On another note I think I finally fond the hesitation in the motor, it may not be all my problem but still not good. I pulled the fuel filter and found a little trash and some water, so I'm getting ready to drain the tank and put a new filter in. Got my fingers crossed.
Another case of overlooking the simple things.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
That is a good way to put it. On another note I think I finally fond the hesitation in the motor, it may not be all my problem but still not good. I pulled the fuel filter and found a little trash and some water, so I'm getting ready to drain the tank and put a new filter in. Got my fingers crossed.
Another case of overlooking the simple things.
Been too many years since I lived in Ohio and used it, I think it's called "dry gas". Used to be used in the gas tank in the winter time to stop Fuel Line Freeze-up. You got any?
Dry gas is an alcohol-based additive used in automobiles to prevent any water in the fuel from freezing, or to restore combustive power to gasoline spoiled by water. The name Drygas is actually a brand name, owned by Cristy. It is a liquid that is added into the fuel tank, that absorbs the water and keeps it in solution. Some brands contain methanol and some contain isopropyl alcohol

Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Been too many years since I lived in Ohio and used it, I think it's called "dry gas". Used to be used in the gas tank in the winter time to stop Fuel Line Freeze-up. You got any?
Dry gas is an alcohol-based additive used in automobiles to prevent any water in the fuel from freezing, or to restore combustive power to gasoline spoiled by water. The name Drygas is actually a brand name, owned by Cristy. It is a liquid that is added into the fuel tank, that absorbs the water and keeps it in solution. Some brands contain methanol and some contain isopropyl alcohol
In the morning I am going to drain the tank and put in a bottle of Iso-Heet and a new filter and fresh gas. The tank set in the shop for about a year and probably sweated. Iso-Heet contains Isopropyl and plain Heet has methanol.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:36 AM
71Nky
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck there buddy in tracking down your issues.
Congrats on the trophy, you deserve it and more!

Old 07-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Alderonn
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to register to the forum to say. Epic Truck Sir!!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 71Nky
Good luck there buddy in tracking down your issues.
Congrats on the trophy, you deserve it and more!
Thanks JT: I have started polishing the grille since we talked, slow going but what a difference.

Originally Posted by Alderonn
I had to register to the forum to say. Epic Truck Sir!!!!
Thank you Alderonn: That is a real complement, and welcome to FTE.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What I ended up doing was cutting 1 3/4" off the front of the vinyl where it would tuck up behind the front support, then cut and bent a couple pieces of 16 gauge sheet metal so they would screw to the front support and bend down behind it to support the vinyl. Now to is clearing the core support, normally it wouldn't mater if it touched, but I didn't want it rubbing the paint off.
I sure thank you for your help, when you said you cut yours is want made me think of doing mine this way.
Randle could you take a picture of the modification you made? Are you happy with how it turned out? I'm thinking of buying one. I emailed the company with some questions and they never replied. The price list listed some that had engine size imprinted on them but they had no picture in their catalogue.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Uni Moe
Randle could you take a picture of the modification you made? Are you happy with how it turned out? I'm thinking of buying one. I emailed the company with some questions and they never replied. The price list listed some that had engine size imprinted on them but they had no picture in their catalogue.
I cut two pieces 16" long and 3 1/2" wide. I started by bending a 1 1/4" lip on a 45º on the outer end and about 75º on the end next to the latch. I cut a strip 1 3/4" by 16" off the vinyl on each side of the offset for the latch. Where the pieces are you don't really notice them being there. I called Quiet Ride on the phone, at first they told me three weeks, but after I talked to them and explained what I was doing I had the cover in 4 days. They can put any graphic you want on the covers, but I didn't ask what they charged to do it. Don't take me wrong, what I have came out good, but I am thinking about making covers for the hood and trunk on the Mustang out of aluminum and using a bead roller to stiffen them.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
I have started buffing the grille, I had already stripped all the anodizing off and done a half way job of polishing it, but just want a little better shine.

Quick Reply: Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build