1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
10-4... I didn't even have to look at the truck.. as I was struck by the sanctity of the garage with wrenches all in place. 'Saw the bed dolly and quickly deduce that Randle has an eye for detail and workmanship.

"Possum Trot"? Wow... I thought you were kidding. It IS a real place.

I think this would also turn heads... Passersby were apparently appalled when my pal used a hacksaw to remove the antlers from a roadkill. I think i'll mount it this year on my 73 4x4 to celebrate the Christmas season. Would putting a red nose on my rig go too far?

Hay the wife traced around every one of those tools and labeled them so I wouldn't forget where they go. After I finished the bed those dollies made a nice set of saw horses in the shop. Yes Possum Trot is a real place, just don't blink going through it or you will miss seeing the whole town. Your deer racks would be right at home around here.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Randle
Hey the wife traced around every one of those tools and labeled them so I wouldn't forget where they go. After I finished the bed those dollies made a nice set of saw horses in the shop. Yes Possum Trot is a real place, just don't blink going through it or you will miss seeing the whole town. Your deer racks would be right at home around here.
I guess yer gonna keep her around, right?

Woodworking and building stuff is one of my hobbies. The dollies are double-layered, braced, and symmetrical. A lesser being would have left them long with bit ends. Good job.

One of my architecture professors once said, "Make every piece a work of art." Bravo sir, Bravo.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I guess yer gonna keep her around, right?

Woodworking and building stuff is one of my hobbies. The dollies are double-layered, braced, and symmetrical. A lesser being would have left them long with bit ends. Good job.

One of my architecture professors once said, "Make every piece a work of art." Bravo sir, Bravo.
Yes she is a keeper.
I have always liked woodworking and metalworking, I just always loved the challenge of building something different.
"Make every piece a work of art" I like that, that is a saying to go by.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
I haven't worked on my truck in about three weeks, as I said earlier I have been helping a friend paint his Bronco, and we finished it today, so I should be back on the truck as quick as I catch up on a little work around the place.
I know its not a bump, but here is a few pictures of the Bronco when we finished it. I guess you could say it was a little more practice before I finish painting my 70.

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 PM
NFLD FLARESIDE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love that bronco II!!!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shines like a new penny. Nice touch on the wheel centers.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:16 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What did it look like beforehand?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Guys

trozei - The body was bent up pretty good on the passenger side where he had hit a deer, it got the grille, front fender, door and a little on the back quarter, other then that a lot of the clear was gone on the top and hood and there was one rusty spot about the size of your fist on the back quarter I had to make a patch panel for. I got a new grille and fender, but was able to smooth out the door and back quarter.

blue04.5 - I robbed the center caps and lugs from another set of wheels I had then painted them Mocha Frost Pearl to match the body. Here is a little better view of them.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
I got a little time today and put the sheet metal on the inside of the tailgate to smooth it, also picked up my new brake booster.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get a few small parts painted and the seams on the tailgate smoothed. Here is a couple pictures of how I am smoothing the tailgate using 3M panel adhesive.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow...great looking Bronco II. Friend still owns his original 2wd version and it looks factory fresh(never seen Ohio snow/salt).

Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Got a little more done on the 70, my vac. booster and master cylinder are ready to install, and I got the steering column rebuilt ready in go in. I ordered all the weather stripping and it should be here by mid week, so I think I will wait for that to come in and install the windshield and back glass before I install the booster and column.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
I carried my bed back to the shop to finish it. When I stored it I had the outside pretty well ready to block but the inside sides and floor was plug welded in but I still needed to weld the edges and weld the roll pan in. I got that done today, now I'm thinking about doing away with the side marker light. By the way if anyone is interested the roll pan is home made. About 10 or 12 year ago I made it and a front valence out of the top rails of a bed I was scraping out.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Nice idea on the roll pan source. Do you happen to have a full shot of it and the front if you don't mind?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Here is a full shot of the roll pan.

And here is the front valance with fog lights frenched in.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Great eye for re purposing panels, nice work and thank you for the pictures. Im going to have to tell my dad about this as he has a spare bed that will otherwise be scrapped.

Quick Reply: Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build