1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:44 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I like this build also. Not going too far or not far enough. Smoothing out the front of the hood?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
NFLD FLARESIDE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coming along nicely

Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Did the axle flip result in the truck being too low?

I noticed the front hanger on the rear leaf springs were lowered and only held on by two bolts... might wanna add a couple or more bolts or weld in some gussets.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the comments

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Did the axle flip result in the truck being too low?

I noticed the front hanger on the rear leaf springs were lowered and only held on by two bolts... might wanna add a couple or more bolts or weld in some gussets.
I hope it's not to low, The DJM beams gives you 3" in the front, but then I put new 6 cyl springs on it. The axle flip dropped it 5 3/4" in the back. I'm for about level, but I may need to do some more to get it there.
The frame I'm using did have a front hanger flip, and when they flipped it they cut the brackets flush with the bottom of the frame. I didn't like how it looked, and the pinion angle was way off, so I flipped it back, the two bolts are in the original holes and it is welded to the frame.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Randle
Thanks for the comments

I hope it's not to low, The DJM beams gives you 3" in the front, but then I put new 6 cyl springs on it. The axle flip dropped it 5 3/4" in the back. I'm for about level, but I may need to do some more to get it there.
The frame I'm using did have a front hanger flip, and when they flipped it they cut the brackets flush with the bottom of the frame. I didn't like how it looked, and the pinion angle was way off, so I flipped it back, the two bolts are in the original holes and it is welded to the frame.
Ah.. OK... the pic is a lil deceiving cuz part of the bracket is missing.

I'm using the same set-up. The spring hanger flips resulted in about 10° nose-up of pinion angle and I un-did it and went with the axle flip which resulted in 5.25 inches of drop.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Where I got the 5 3/4" is thickness of the spring and axle. I haven't had the bed on so don't know exact measurement with the body on it. Did that set you close to level.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:04 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Where I got the 5 3/4" is thickness of the spring and axle. I haven't had the bed on so don't know exact measurement with the body on it. Did that set you close to level.
I think I'm about .5 to 1.0 inch low in back compared to the front... and pretty much the entire front end is assembled. I might be wishing that 80-pound intake and heavy-azz NP435 were still connected to the FE!

However, I'll wait til I get at least a few miles on it in hopes that it settles down. After that I'll either cut the front coils or correct the potential tail-dragging stance with slightly shorter front tires compared to the planned 275/60-15s on 15x8s in the back.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
My whole front suspension is new, and I'm using springs off a different truck because some of the rear leafs had been removed from the spring pack that was on the truck so I'm shooting in the dark and hoping for level, but like you say may have to do some adjusting to get it there.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM
1999stroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what did you use to install the cd player?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1999stroke
Read this... The FORDification.com Forums • View topic - "HowIdunnit" Metra 99-9222 Stereo Install Warning:Pics!!!!!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 1999stroke
I modified the original radio bezel to accept the new radio.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I think I'm about .5 to 1.0 inch low in back compared to the front... and pretty much the entire front end is assembled. I might be wishing that 80-pound intake and heavy-azz NP435 were still connected to the FE!

However, I'll wait til I get at least a few miles on it in hopes that it settles down. After that I'll either cut the front coils or correct the potential tail-dragging stance with slightly shorter front tires compared to the planned 275/60-15s on 15x8s in the back.
Here's how to solve the weight problem.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Who the heck is this Randle Guy? Man he does nice work. Lookin Good

Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by arctic y block
He's just a grumpy old man from, from the suburbs of Possum Trot, KY. Thanks for the comment. I'm at a stand still on the truck for right now, maybe another week or week and a half I will be finished painting my friends Bronco and be back on the truck. It gives a little time to plan the next step anyway.

Jefffafa, that would make a head turner.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arctic y block
10-4... I didn't even have to look at the truck.. as I was struck by the sanctity of the garage with wrenches all in place. 'Saw the bed dolly and quickly deduce that Randle has an eye for detail and workmanship.

He's just a grumpy old man from, from the suburbs of Possum Trot, KY. Thanks for the comment. I'm at a stand still on the truck for right now, maybe another week or week and a half I will be finished painting my friends Bronco and be back on the truck. It gives a little time to plan the next step anyway.

Jefffafa, that would make a head turner.
"Possum Trot"? Wow... I thought you were kidding. It IS a real place.

I think this would also turn heads... Passersby were apparently appalled when my pal used a hacksaw to remove the antlers from a roadkill. I think i'll mount it this year on my 73 4x4 to celebrate the Christmas season. Would putting a red nose on my rig go too far?

Quick Reply: Home Brewed 70 Short Bed Build