1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Truck Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 PM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Pricing

Hi folks, just joined the forums and hoping I might be able to get some advice on pricing for a couple of trucks I am looking at. I am looking to get a 60s truck and have been going back and forth on Chevy 67+ and the 61-66 Fords. I've found a few of the latter and would appreciate some advice.

I've found three nearish to me:

1963 - not a lot of pics and seems way overpriced to me but I am not an expert.

1963 f100 only 76k miles

1966 - obviously not original. Has disc brakes on front. I would lower rear to stock.

66 Ford f100

1966 - previously restored but has not been kept up recently. It is not too far way and may go check it out tomorrow. Need to see what the "minor work" on the he engine might be.

1966 Ford F100 Pickup

I appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have found the cost of body/paint work to be prohibitive, and that's the cheap part. I was quoted $6500 to paint my truck inside and out, that's with almost no body work, no rust repair. Then theres $500 for a grill, $1000 for custom cab side trim, $250 each for bumpers, another $1000 to rebuild the doors, and you haven't touched the engine or tranny.

I see a bunch of these trucks with an asking price of 15-20k and they stay for sale month after month. That's what the owners have in them and they cant get their money out of them.

You can find a really nice 61-66 F100 that needs nothing or only minor work in the 10-13k price range.

Of the three you posted, I like the last one best. I like the painted bumpers and grill, the hub caps run $100 each. The six has a ton of potential and later 300 parts will bolt right on. You can also convert to a automatic or T-5 with minimal trouble.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 PM
1tonner
Junior User
The third has alot of bang for the buck if its that clean and a ready driver. The first two are work work work and overpriced by a good margin.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:09 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
PapaMatt Welcome to and the Slick60s Forum.

Where in the Tarheel are you? The Louisburg ad is not far to me.

For me I would not look at anything older than a 65 unless you are a big Uni fan that it appears that you are not by the ads posted. I like the bolt on power steering & disc brakes that can be gotten from early 70s Twin I-beams. All your ads are for fat fender flairs and the donors apply there too.

Hope to see you around.

John

Old 07-26-2014, 04:17 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree - #3. However there are no pics of inside motor compartment showing the I6.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:48 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck pricing is all over the place as the market hasn't quite figured out what they should be worth. It's far cheaper to buy one done than to try doing it yourself, that is for sure. Those $10,000+ trucks seem expensive until you add up the cost of doing it yourself.

Here's an article I wrote some time ago that is still appropriate, and has some links to help you determine values: trkvalue

Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 AM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I was most interested in #3 as well mainly because of the body. Much more comfortable working on the mechanics than the body. However, the owner has not gotten back to me so I am waiting to find out more about the truck.

John I am halfway between Durham and Hillsborough, so about 1:15 or so from Louisburg. That's the closest ad I have seen for one of these Fords worth looking at. And as you noted, I am a flareside guy. My wife likes them too which makes the process easie

Old 07-26-2014, 05:52 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Google maps sez Hillsborough to Louisburg about an hour. When you want to go look at it?

John

Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 PM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Originally Posted by jowilker
Google maps sez Hillsborough to Louisburg about an hour. When you want to go look at it?

John
John are you offering to go with me and be my guide into this world?

Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

As long as you weren't expecting too much of that guiding thang and we could get together on a time. I could meet you at 50 & 56 in Creedmoor.

Send me a PM in the upper right corner, and put a return email address in the message.

John

Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 AM
PapaMatt
Senior User
John I cannot for the life of me figure out how to send you a PM. Upper right hand corner of your message or of the whole page? I thought adding you as a contact would do it but no luck.

I finally heard back from the lady on the Louisburg truck. They are on vacation and that is why she had not been responding. She is suppose to get back with me on Tuesday.

I also found another but I think I know what the response will be on this one.

RAT 1966 FORD F-100

From pics, paint is bad but metal to my eye appears good, not dented up and no apparent rust. The motor is obviously not original, nor even Ford. Not a bad engine, particularly given the torque but...hopefully I did not offend any purists by posting it. And as others have noted, best bet is strongest original metal you can find. The mechanical stuff can be fixed/swapped.

Side question, shadowrider mentioned $6500 to paint his truck. Does everyone spend that kind of money on paint??? I am not planning for this to have a showroom finish. I am going to use this truck. It's going hunting, it's going to get wood and other things for house and garden projects. I don't want a craptastic paint job with runs and overspray but surely there has to be a middle ground...

Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 AM
PapaMatt
Senior User
And one more:

Ford F 100 None | eBay

This one is only about 40 minutes past the orange one so if I went to see one would check both, if anyone thinks either is worth my time or should run from both...

Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 AM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd steer clear of the first two.

The 3rd one looks like it has some potential. If the engine isn't hurt, I'd be more happy with it if the price started with a 3 instead of a 4. However, if it's a nice as it looks in the pictures, his asking price isn't crazy.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:52 AM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shortwide
I'd steer clear of the first two.

The 3rd one looks like it has some potential. If the engine isn't hurt, I'd be more happy with it if the price started with a 3 instead of a 4. However, if it's a nice as it looks in the pictures, his asking price isn't crazy.
i agree wholeheartedly.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM
PapaMatt
Senior User
So I found out more information on the second truck above.

66 Ford f100

It's in Charlottesville area of VA and the guy who owns it works at a classic car restorations shop. He has done most of the work himself. The truck is from Texas, no rust on anything except he said on back of one fender. None on cab/frame. Engine, tranny and power steering are all from a '66 mustang. Brakes from a 70s truck.

Everyone said steer clear of this and that it was overpriced. Would anyone care to elaborate? I have seen a few trucks in the last week and one was #3 from my original post and it was not nearly as good as the pictures. Rust, flaked out metal on fenders, truck bed rotted. Owner knew nothing about the truck and engine wouldn't start. I later offered him $1800 and he said no way, still wants around $4k.

As I think I have said in this forum, this is going to be a truck for home depot/hunting/occasional drive to the office, not going to return it to its full glory with a $5k paint job. Just trying to find a decent truck for a fair price...but that fair price is the tricky part. Every truck I see is several thousand if it is running at all :-P

Thanks for any additional advice!

Quick Reply: Truck Pricing