1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

4.9 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick Omally
can i have the coolant temperature pigtail?

also how much did it cost and where did you buy it?
i want a spare engine as a generator when the power goes out
I found it on EBay but I've seen them on craigslist for 200-300.
Pretty sure I tossed all the unused electrics but if I can find the pigtail I'll let you have it.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
As promised - PICS!

A few notes first: I still need to figure out the timing cover bolts / studs. I took photos and made a diagram, but I have a bad stud (on the driver's side, the power steering pump bracket uses two studs that also mount the timing cover, I have 1 ruined stud that I need to get replaced. On the other side at the bottom of the timing over, I THINK a bolt goes there to hold the alternator bracket. If anyone has any better pics or info let me know. I can look at my current engine in the truck, but it's hard to tell.

The picture of the fuel pumps shows the difference between the pre 12/84 and post 12/84 versions. The one on the right is the one that works the way the machinist cut the hole.

The valve cover was in the process of being painted and I ran out of paint.. sigh..

OK then. On with the pictures..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Tim - Looking good. And I see the issue with the fuel pump.

Here's what I have on the engine, but I'm not sure it really helps.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Patrick Omally
Senior User
Originally Posted by KsCop
I found it on EBay but I've seen them on craigslist for 200-300.
Pretty sure I tossed all the unused electrics but if I can find the pigtail I'll let you have it.
......... mmmmm if you could send me all of the unused eletrics that would be epic great i'll happily pay shipping and handling!

30 dollars shipping sounds about right

Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
The post 12/84 pump fits and cover's the hole but after looking at it some more, it is VERY stiff and I'm not sure it will work properly. The earlier version fits and feels like the one on my current engine and I think I'll go with that one and the cover plate.

If it doesn't pump like it should, or if it leaks, I'll block it off and go with an electric one.

Now I'm obsessing over seals and leaks..

I need to go to bed...

Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
In terms of the timing cover. What is part 6023? It looks like a bracket?

Also - what about 376225-S and 57124-S?

Finally, it looks there is a stud (no part number).

Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
6023 is the timing pointer.

I can't find 376225 in the parts catalog or Ford's fastener catalog. And, I think it isn't 57124 but 56124, which is 56124-5 Bolt - Hex UBS 5/16-18x1.50.

And I don't find any numbers for the stud.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I have the timing mark indicator in the right spot. I'm not sure how the alternator bracket mounts but the missing bolt I have looks like it's the 56124-5 bolt. I need to pick up one of those and a 5/16-18 stud and nuts so I can get the power steering pump bracket installed.

Looks like I'll be looking under my hood at my old engine to figure it out..

Happen to know the fuel pump bolt size? I can take the ones I have and figure it out, and guestimate on length I suppose

*UPDATE*

The fuel pump bolts are the same as the water pump bolts and appear to be 5/16-18 as well

Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Clearly, I have not gone to bed like I planned.

I poke around under the hood and figured out a few things. The lower 'missing' bolt in the timing cover does indeed hold the alternator 'arm' bracket.

My power steering bracket is different than the one that came with this engine, so for now I'm just going to bolt the timing cover on in those locations, and when I get ready to swap the engine, I'll transfer my old brackets to this engine. I'm assuming that it won't cause any timing cover leaks, but I'll run it a bit first and if need be, pull the cover and re-seal it. That's the plan anyway.

So the task list for tomorrow is to get a couple of bolts and mount the fuel pump and cover plate. I'm going to plug the dipstick hole for now so nothing finds a home there. The short block is done, so I'm going to actually start on the engine test stand.

The short block is getting bagged up and once the stand is done, I'll get going on it again.

I also need to clean the shop and find a home for the TIG welder.

I'm not sure how much I'll get done, as I also have to get some sleep since I work tomorrow night.

All in all, it's been a productive day...

(I also took care of a pesky mole problem. I was on the deck and the little rascal popped up in the yard and was making a mound. I nailed him with a 9mm; Glock 23, 18 yards from an elevated position 8 feet up. One shot, one dead mole. I'm sure there will be protests and riots..)

Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Clearly I did go to bed and missed your question. Sorry. But you are getting it sorted.

As for the mole, that's good shooting. The protests best not be with a quarter mile.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 AM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Clearly I did go to bed and missed your question. Sorry. But you are getting it sorted.

As for the mole, that's good shooting. The protests best not be with a quarter mile.
The moles help me stay proficient. I'm a law enforcement firearms instructor so need to be able to shoot better than your average bear..

Old 08-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Sounds like you are proficient. I used to hunt squirrels with my Colt Woodsman - one shot one squirrel. But that was a long time ago.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Last night, the AC in the house decided to give up. I got the service tech out this morning, and while he was working on the AC, I went out to the air conditioned shop to get a few things done.

I media blasted the junkyard bell housing and got it primed and painted. I also finished painting the 'Powered by Ford' valve cover.

Once the tech gets done, I'll head to bed and then this afternoon start on the shop cleanup and engine test stand prototype.

I planned to make it out of wood, but am considering a steel / wood hybrid. I think I'll make the engine support brackets out of steel with a square tube support between them. Same for the support at the bell housing end. I'll then connect all that to a 4x4 frame on casters. It will give me an excuse to do some welding..

Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KsCop
(I also took care of a pesky mole problem. I was on the deck and the little rascal popped up in the yard and was making a mound. I nailed him with a 9mm; Glock 23, 18 yards from an elevated position 8 feet up. One shot, one dead mole. I'm sure there will be protests and riots..)
Glad it only took one shot. Two or more would have allowed the neighbors to figure out were the gun fire was coming from at ten to midnight.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
Glad it only took one shot. Two or more would have allowed the neighbors to figure out were the gun fire was coming from at ten to midnight.
It was at 5:30 pm or so. Where I live, it's legal to fire guns on your property so no issues there. The remaining moles in the area did require that the Hwy. Patrol be called in to keep the peace. Riots and looting of course; they were destroying their own tunnels..

Quick Reply: 4.9 Rebuild