6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

If you could make only 1 performance mod, what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Williamwallace
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you could make only 1 performance mod, what would it be?

First post...glad to be here!

I bought an f250 super duty xlt 6.4 diesel turbo diesel. It's got some nice upgrades (6"lift, 35" Grapplers, etc.), but it doesn't have any performance modifications. I did a little research on tuners and ended up buying the SCT Livewire TS. I downloaded the preloaded performance tune yesterday, but to be honest, I really can't tell much of a difference. Pretty disappointing. I'm not planning on going ***** out and racing for pinks or anything, but I'd like to get more speed and torque out of the truck. I don't tow much, and an improvement in MPG would be nice, but that's really not my goal.

So, 2 questions...1. Do you know of any custom tunes I could download via the Livewire that would give me better results than the performance tune, or would u recommend a different tuner? 2. Beyond the tuner, what's the first mod u'd recommend making to improve speed/torque (e.g. exhaust, intake, etc.)?
This is my first "real" truck, and my knowledge base is pretty limited, so any feedback you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not familiar with the SCT, is it a delete tuner or just a tuner.
First thing I would do is read up on the basic's of regular maintenance that is required for the truck. Monthly draining of the water separator, 10,000 mile intervals on the fuel filters, 5,000 mile oil change interval, and coolant awareness.
I pop my hood weekly and check antifreeze level, oil level, and take a quick look about. If you still have the DEF you will want to look for oil overfill, and get used to your truck going into regeneration, try not to shut your truck off when it's regenerating the DPF.
That will get you on your way to learning what to look for on a regular basis.
Welcome to the 6.4 world.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Williamwallace
New User
Great feedback, Bubba. Thanks! I'm gonna to show my ignorance in the technology that I referred to earlier, but what is the difference between a delete tuner and just a tuner? I'm pretty sure it's just a tuner. Per SCT, "The Livewire TS Performance Ford Programmer and Monitor unlocks your vehicle's hidden performance by re-calibrating your vehicle's computer for Maximum Horsepower & Torque, Increased Throttle Response, Firmer Shifts and even Increased Fuel Mileage."
Beyond the routine maintenance, no recommendations for modifications?

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
A delete tuner has the capability to delete the DPF(diesel particular filter) and usually the egr system. Some tuners just adjust some performance aspects of the truck without the ability to delete.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Williamwallace
New User
Got it. Thanks again!
Is a delete tuner more effective? Can u give me a little insight in where u think I'd get the most bang for my buck in a performance mod, or are u not a fan non-stock equipment?
Ur help is much appreciated!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Kind of a personal opinion type deal, some say delete, some say no, I did but it's really something you should search in the forums and make a decision based on what you find.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DPF delete would be your best mod in my opinion providing you have the right tune

Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Williamwallace
New User
Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bubba hit it on the head with all the MAINTENANCE.. sounds to me like you got just a regular tuner.. I would do a little more research up on these trucks.. does your truck still have the dpf on?? you sound like your trying to accomplish what I did... I wanted more power/torque so I went with the dpf delete...but not a race car! I went with sct tsx8900 the 1st time also...wasn't impressed so I bough a H&S mini maxx (I run the 250hp setting) , flo-pro exhaust, aFe stage 2 dry intake between those few extras... I'm right around 600rwhp/1000 WHICH IS MORE THEN ENOUGH for any normal person! This is the best forum online for these trucks... good luck!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:04 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Yes a DPF off race tune is what you want - if you can get away with it where you live. With the DPF exhaust filter removed, truck won't pass emission regulations any more.

I got the spartan, which has a bunch of DPF on tunes, and a bunch of DPF off tunes, ranging from + 0 hp to +350 hp.
A 6.4 with a 310 or 350 tune has got to be the fastest diesel truck I know of for just basic mods.

If you run lower tunes, you'll be fine with just DPF delete pipe. Once you go to the larger tunes, you'll want head studs and other stuff, the twin turbo setup can make 60+ psi of boost, and has wrecked a few head gaskets, but some people seem to never have an issue.
This is by no means a weakness, popping head gaskets at 60 psi, it's just that the fuel system allows it to make so much power, it's insane.
I spent under 2000$ for the dash daq from spartan, the tunes, air intake, (but i went back to stock air intake), and full exhaust.
It's a totally different truck. The 08 and newer trucks are so refined that with a tune on it, I feel no need to upgrade at all. It is absolutely amazing.

You'll want to watch you're gauges on whatever tuner you have, if running higher than stock power. EGT's can get scary high and melt the engine down if you drive wrong on big tunes like the +350 hp tune, which I think ignores any high warning levels as it's meant solely for racing.
Some tunes, like the 210 ot 250? tow tune, are a lot safer, and still very powerful.

A 6.4 running a large race tune will deliver close to 600 rear wheel HP, which is insane for just a tuner, exhaust, and air intake. Also the twin turbo delivers steady TQ through the entire RPM band, so they are delivering major power the entire time. That is why a 600 HP 6.4 wins races against other trucks with even more power, because they can deliver power strongly and evenly.

Chances are if you run a giant tune, and drive crazy, you'll break stuff, just throwing that out there. The only tune as safe as stock would be the + 0 hp tunes. But even those are worth it, just to be able to tear off the DPF.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Williamwallace
New User
Awesome feedback! Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM
eugene11
New User
Are there any none $1200 egr and dpf delete tuners out there?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Williamwallace........what ever happen 2 the truck.. what did you decide?? we like follow ups on threads it's been a few months or did I miss the follow up??

Old 07-27-2014, 09:34 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by nojoke327
DPF delete would be your best mod in my opinion providing you have the right tune

This is absolutely correct on these trucks. I like H&S but not sure you can get them now.