Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1988 7.3 idi stalled randomly and will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:53 PM
pat420swed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 7.3 idi stalled randomly and will not start

hi I need some help with diagnosing this problem, my truck was running fine then it just kinda stuttered/hiccupped and stalled while I was parked and wouldn't start back up. here are the events that led up to this.

the truck had been sitting idling for about 30 mins maybe 45 before we left because I was bleeding the brakes. I decided to take it around the block to test the brakes since I had been bleeding them, I was heading back and to my shock and horror I saw in the rearview my truck cap flying of the back of the ****in truck!!

so I pulled over and me and my brother got out and put it back on the truck meanwhile the woman who owned the house was coming out at the same time asking what had happened and it was at that point where the truck just stuttered and died while idling.

after we finished talking with her I went back in the truck hoping it would start back up fine since it was warm and no go. it would crank and crank but never fired or tried to start. and this is a truck that will sit for months at a time and fire up no problem from under 13 seconds of cranking

so my brother walked back to our house and grabbed our bronco and came back and pushed me back to our place with the pushbar on the bronco.

the engine seemed pretty hot when I opened the hood to try to figure it out while my brother was getting the bronco but I also think ive heard that these engines run hot? about ten mins after it quit I opened the oil filler cap when I was looking at it and there was a bit of smoke coming out is that normal?

also when I got it back I tried starting it about 2 hours later but it still wouldn't start and I noticed a noise while cranking it, it was coming from the hose for the air filter and it was a noise from lots of air moving so I took off the air filter and turned it over and noticed there was faint smoke coming from the intake and the intake was still making that noise not sure tho if it has always made that sound or not

really need some help with this I was planning on having It safetied and on the road in 2 weeks and today was supposed to be my testing it on the road day until this happened so any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated?

Old 07-20-2014, 04:34 PM
94IDIsuperduty
Junior User
First check if There is fuel in the filter.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pat420swed
so I pulled over and me and my brother got out and put it back on the truck meanwhile the woman who owned the house was coming out at the same time asking what had happened and it was at that point where the truck just stuttered and died while idling.

after we finished talking with her I went back in the truck hoping it would start back up fine since it was warm and no go. it would crank and crank but never fired or tried to start. and this is a truck that will sit for months at a time and fire up no problem from under 13 seconds of cranking
I'm guessing either you ran out of gas, the fuel pickup is broken(so it's sucking air), or the low-pressure transfer pump on the side of the engine died on you.

the engine seemed pretty hot when I opened the hood to try to figure it out while my brother was getting the bronco but I also think ive heard that these engines run hot? about ten mins after it quit I opened the oil filler cap when I was looking at it and there was a bit of smoke coming out is that normal?
Both are normal. You should see these engines when they get old... you can get a *ton* of smoke(blowby). with the engine running, the fumes get sucked into the intake manifold through that can behind the intake, but with the engine off there's nothing sucking them in, so they go up. Same with the oil-fill cap.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:35 PM
mitchgordon96
Freshman User
Same thing happened to me but I ran outta fuel n couldn't switch tanks quick enough I primed the filter it cranks but there's no fuel pressure I think bc I tried to bleed the valve on the filter an not air bubbles or fuel came out any ideas

Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
Thank you everyone for the responses, I was really hoping that it was just that I ran out of fuel but I dont think I did, the truck ran off both tanks fine before I left my house and I checked the fuel filter it was full to the top when I pulled it off.

Also I got my brother to turn the engine over while I bled the Schrader valve on the top side of the filter and it would take maybe 2-3 seconds of cranking before any fuel came out and even when it did cone out it didnt Seam like it was a strong flow to me it would shoot out like 3 inches but seemed like it was bubbly but could that be normal coming from the Schrader valve?

Old 07-21-2014, 04:35 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
Also the low pressure pump you are talking about isnt the injector pump is it? Im really hoping its not lol ive heard there a pain to change

Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
One last question, how hot do these usually run? The truck was idling for about 40 mins before I drove it then it was driven for about five before it stalled, when I popped the hood I noticed the rad was so hot it burned my arm when I brushed by it and the rad hoses were also to hot too touch dont know if thats normal or not my temp gauge was reading about half

Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Crack an injector line and see if you get fuel at the injectors while cranking. If not then check to make sure fuel solenoid in the injection pump is activating. If the filter is full and you are getting flow from the Schrader then it should start.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM
pat420swed
Senior User
Thanks for the advice, do I do this by cracking the the fitting that holds the line into the top of the injector? And where is the fuel shutoff solinoid located?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
pat420swed
Senior User
Just to update my batteries are charging and I filled both tanks up past quarter tank sp tomoroow I will crack the injector lines and see if fuekis getting to them

Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The fitting on an injector. I think but haven't looked lately I think the front elec connector on the ip is the fss.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also the low pressure pump you are talking about isnt the injector pump is it? Im really hoping its not lol ive heard there a pain to change
Nope; this is on the passenger side of the engine; $30 part.

However, it's actually not that big a deal to change the IP; the only issue is *correctly* timing it afterwards, which requires special tools or a 'feel' for things.
It's not hard to replace it and get it to a running state -- I've done it a couple times in an afternoon easily.

Originally Posted by wtroger
Crack an injector line and see if you get fuel at the injectors while cranking. If not then check to make sure fuel solenoid in the injection pump is activating. If the filter is full and you are getting flow from the Schrader then it should start.
Thanks for the advice, do I do this by cracking the the fitting that holds the line into the top of the injector? And where is the fuel shutoff solinoid located?
What you do is turn the key on. This turns on the fuel shut off solenoid; which is the forward-most terminal on the top of the IP. Without this on, you will get no fuel.
You then crack the fitting on top of the injector with a 5/8" wrench.
Make sure the truck is floored before cranking -- if not, you won't get any real fuel out.
You can do this from the front of the engine by pushing the throttle lever towards the rear of the engine as far as it can go.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
ive had the fuel shutoff solenoid (FSS) fail a few times. the easy way to test it is to leave the key on, and with one hand hold the top of the injection pump (IP) while with the other hand unplugging the wire to the FSS. as you disconnect and reconnect, you should be able to feel the solenoid clicking back and forth. if you can't hear/feel anything, double check that the wire has power, and if it has power but doesn't operate then your solenoid failed. you can order a replacement online (google it) or possibly from a local diesel shop, or from a junkyard. you cannot order one from a local auto parts store or ford dealership

Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 PM
pat420swed
Senior User
Ok thanks for the info, should I be checking for fuel at the farthest injector before I test the solinoid? Is my understanding correct that if I have fuel at the injectors then the solinoid is working?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 PM
pat420swed
Senior User
So I got home from work and did the test on the fss and it is working, so I cracked the injector line and turned it over and checked for fuel but none came out, so I figured id check the scrader valve again and when I did there was no fuel coming out

So then I removed the filter and it was almost full to the brim other than about an inch, note that I topped it off all the way up with diesel kleen last night

So I figured my fuel pump is done, so I pulled the top of the line going inbetween the pump and the filter and cranked it and to no surprise nothing came out and i put my finger over it and didnt feel a thing, also need to mention that I put over quarter tank into both tanks so its definateky not out of fuel and I also repkaced both sending units last summer so I dont think id have the fuel line rotted off problem yet,

I am thinking im going to go with the eletric option, do I need a certain kind? And would they be available from a local carparts place? Also wpuld I have to remove, plug, or just leave the old one in?

Quick Reply: 1988 7.3 idi stalled randomly and will not start