Sponsored by:

V8 Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
V8 Excursion?

Is there any reason NOT to buy a V8 (Gasoline) Excursion?

Considering that I was planning an engine and transmission swap to begin with, are there any differences other than engine and transmission in the 5.4L Excursions?

I read somewhere that they have a Class 3 (500 lb Tongue/5000 lb Tow) hitch on them instead oh the larger hitch... I also read they were only available with one rear end ratio (Though I forget what ratio that is.)

Is the transfer case the same?

V8 Excursions tend to be CHEAP.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You plan on towing more than a popup? If so, stay away from the v8. It's already struggling to pull an 8k truck around... That's why they are cheap, more suited to 2wd parking lot applications. Sorry Apocalypse... :-)

Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Boog2001
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archion
You plan on towing more than a popup? If so, stay away from the v8. It's already struggling to pull an 8k truck around... That's why they are cheap, more suited to 2wd parking lot applications. Sorry Apocalypse... :-)
Pretty sure he said this is a motor swap vehicle. So.....

Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
^^^yup, he did

Old 07-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Yep. I don't plan on keeping the 5.4L V8 for very long. Maybe a year or so.
The displacement is close, but it's got too many cylinders...And that whole ignition system thing. Plus, it needs a turbo.

5.9L I6 Cummins is the plan.

Haven't decided on what I'm doing for the trans. Keep the 4R100, go with the Dodge 48RE, or be a glutton for punishment and figure out how to work an Allison 1000.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Oops, missed that part... lol

Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Pele
Yep. I don't plan on keeping the 5.4L V8 for very long. Maybe a year or so.
The displacement is close, but it's got too many cylinders...And that whole ignition system thing. Plus, it needs a turbo.

5.9L I6 Cummins is the plan.

Haven't decided on what I'm doing for the trans. Keep the 4R100, go with the Dodge 48RE, or be a glutton for punishment and figure out how to work an Allison 1000.
Blasphemy! Mild motor, or big build?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Blasphemy! Mild motor, or big build?
Mild.

Starting with a base stock 24Valve HO (245 HP) and keeping the stock Holset HX35 turbo, RV275 Injectors.

Currently get about 17 MPG in my 2001 Dodge. Everyone with a gas 3/4 ton truck tells me they get a 10-12 MPG.

I've got a 4 month old and a 2 yr old. With kid seats in the back, my seat is so far forward that my knees are in my armpits and my chest is stuck against the steering wheel... And then there's no room for my dogs on road trips.

Plus, the bed is a pain in the rear. Every time, I have a load of mulch, dirt, or a stack of drywall or lumber on the weekend, I've gotta rush to get it out before I head to work on Monday. Otherwise, I'm stuck driving around all week with a load of stuff in the bed...

And don't even get me started on getting my bike or a lawn tractor in the bed. I've got pictures of me doing some dangerous stuff.

The easy solution to not having the bed is to get a trailer...
I have a tandem axle trailer for hauling my track car. I can get a smaller 4x8 for cheap or just bolt plywood to my car hauler to get dirt or move my motorcycle.

I like my Cummins engine, but I need four full doors, full size seats, and don't need the bed.
Bam. Fummins Excursion.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I better not tell my 5.4 that it is only suited to pull a popup or it may rebel and not pull my 10,000 pound fifth wheel anymore !!!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
I better not tell my 5.4 that it is only suited to pull a popup or it may rebel and not pull my 10,000 pound fifth wheel anymore !!!
Your also not in an Excursion... But the OP is making an engine swap so it's a moot point....

Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Seems like youve already looked into this a bit. If the 01 is the drivetrain donor, the hardest part of the swap(as with any) is the electronics. The Ally would be at the bottom of my wish list.

Expect to change out the front, and probably rear springs if you start with a 5.4. You'll have enough fabrication to do, so that's the least of your worries.

What's your total budget? Do you expect a top of the line swap, where everything functions exactly as it should?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 PM
59CRL
Senior User
Good idea to change the weak 5.4 engine. I had one in an Expedition and it couldn't tow another car, sold it and im happy with the V-10 Excursion. A diesel is even better

Old 07-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Seems like youve already looked into this a bit. If the 01 is the drivetrain donor, the hardest part of the swap(as with any) is the electronics. The Ally would be at the bottom of my wish list.

Expect to change out the front, and probably rear springs if you start with a 5.4. You'll have enough fabrication to do, so that's the least of your worries.

What's your total budget? Do you expect a top of the line swap, where everything functions exactly as it should?
The Dodge will get sold unless someone hits me and totals it out. It's a southern truck and only has a bit of rust on a door skin. (Common problem) I'll swap the door and it's a very clean truck.

Budget will be $10-15k. Engine (From a 2002 Ram, including ECM, PCM, and wiring) and Transmission (From a 2006 Silverado Duramax) have already been sourced.

Everything working will be a top priority for me. I'm an electronics technician by trade, so wiring won't be difficult for me.

Ideally, I'll be eliminating the Ford PCM all together. The gauge cluster will either consist of a bunch of standalone gauges or I'll put the Dodge gauge cluster into the Ford dash.

My only fear is that the Ford PCM is also involved with the ABS and Airbags.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:15 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Your also not in an Excursion... But the OP is making an engine swap so it's a moot point....
You do realize you just screwed me out of an Excursion hauling a 5th wheel joke, right?

Oh well, I'll just use this space to request a BUILD THREAD!!!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM
dihedralboy
Junior User
I have the 5.4 in a 4wd. Honesty it's not that slow. Those who say that have not driven one and just keep saying that to justify their v10. Which they don't have to. They have extra power.

the 5.4 gets up to 60 mph just fine. Sure from 60-70 passing isn't a rocket ship, but there are tonnes of slower vehicles. It's not slow.

Struggling is not the right definition for this motor. Maybe not excessively overpowered.

I would not state it's a towing engine, but I am sure it can tow more than a pop up.. But it's fine for hauling around itself.

I have 4:10 gears, I even get decent MPG. Which is around 14-16 US (16.8 Imp MPG on last run)

Drive an old diesel mercedes, or vw, or land cruiser. Then talk to me about slow.

Quick Reply: V8 Excursion?