1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission cooler upgrade needed on 2000 7.3?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced my OEM with a Tru Cool. I think its identical to the V-10 Trans Cooler.

Put both the stock and new side-by-side on the work bench, cut the braces off the stock, drilled, and installed on the Tru Cool. Dropped right in and reused the OEM trans connections.

About a 2 hour job.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Originally Posted by JNG6
I just had a new transmission put in my 2000 F250 7.3 4x4. I requested they upgrade the cooler too. When I picked it up they said the cooler was in great shape, had been fully flushed and there was little to no metal in the system from the old transmission prior to the flush so there was no reason to replace it. I questioned the need to put a bigger cooler in to protect the new transmission and they said the 2000 7.3 already had an upgraded cooler over the earlier 7.3's and should be fine. Can anyone confirm this?!
Is there a difference between the early 99 7.3 and the late 99 to 2004 7.3 transmission coolers like the dealer claimed?
Anyone know off hand if they changed the tranny cooler from early 99 to late 99 models? I've been searching the site and can't find anything on this......If they are the same I can prove the dealer mechanic didn't know what he was talking about....thanks!
Same question, more or less, asked three times in three different ways with no answer yet... so I'll give it a go.

The correct answer depends on the build date of your 2000. About half of the 2000 production model year have the exact same transmission cooling set up as the early 1999, 1999, and 1999.5 models. And about half of the 2000 production model year received a transmission cooling upgrade, which was the addition of an Oil to Water cooler tube through the bottom radiator tank, and the additional lines to route transmission oil through this additional cooler.

The oil to air cooler however, remained the same from early 1999 through mid-2003. The 7.3L diesel received the smallest Oil to Air cooler, of approximately 10 rows, 20 plates. The V10 had a larger cooler, comprised of 13 rows, 26 plates. Note that the use of the word "plates" in this context follows Ford's description in their 2000 Model Year Sourcebook. It is easy to get the term "plates" and "rows" confused, as some people use them interchangeably. For example, the 26 plate V10 cooler is significantly smaller than the 26 row cooler for the 6.0.

The specific production cut off date for 2000 model year trucks without the Oil to Water transmission cooling upgrade is February 6, 2000. All Super Duties built from January 5, 1998 through and including February 6, 2000, did not have the OTW transmission cooler. They only had an OTA cooler. From February 7, 2000 forward, the trucks came with both OTA and OTW coolers.

My 2000 model year was built in November 1999, therefore I did not have the OTW cooler. However, Ford issued TSB 00-24-4 that detailed the parts and procedure for retrofitting earlier built trucks with the later build transmission cooling system. I added these parts to my truck, and many owners at the time were able to convince Ford to perform this TSB for them during their original bumper to bumper warranty period.

But the far more important issue for you here is, whether or not you have an early build or a late build 2000, whether or not you have an OTW cooler, and whether or not your OTA cooler is 20 plates or 200 plates, your current OTA cooler still needs to be changed when you have a new transmission installed, especially a Ford transmission that is to be covered by the 3 year, unlimited mile service part warranty.

These stacked plate OTA coolers are self regulating, and therefore have very tiny tiny passages that Ford states cannot be fully flushed nor back flushed with reliability. The self-regulating aspect of these stacked plate coolers bypasses cold transmission oil automatically (without thermostats or mechanically actuated valves) until the fluid gets thin enough by becoming hot enough during operation. As the fluid viscosity decreases, more fluid is able to flow through the stacked plate core/main body of the cooler.

I recommend returning immediately to the installing dealer, and request that they follow Ford's instructions, so that your warranty doesn't get denied by a different dealer two years down the road, when that dealer notices on OASIS that no new cooler was reported as having been installed.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The above deserves some reps, but alas, I'm in jail insofar as Y2K is concerned.

If anyone else realizes the value of what he wrote, would you "hit him" for me?

Thanks!

Pop

Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
To back up what our Powerstroke-encyclopedic Y2KW57 says - I had a HD4R100 installed by the dealership when I cooked my 4R100. They replaced the cooler with a stock unit (not the 6.0L) and flushed the OTW cooler on my 2000. The "brochure" for the HD4R100 makes it clear that this is all necessary for the 3-year/unlimited mileage warranty.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not hard. In post #4 of the attached link is Ken's write-up for installing the 6.0 cooler.

Not sure of the Doorman unit quality.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ns-cooler.html

Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Is there a difference between the early 99 7.3 and the late 99 to 2004 7.3 transmission coolers like the dealer claimed?
Anyone know off hand if they changed the tranny cooler from early 99 to late 99 models?
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
The oil to air cooler however, remained the same from early 1999 through mid-2003.
Yep, what he said!

Name:  60transcoolervs73andV10.jpg
Views: 11584
Size:  40.6 KB

You can see in the above pic the size of the 7.3L trans cooler compared to the V10 cooler underneath it, and to the 6.0L cooler next to it.

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
The above deserves some reps, but alas, I'm in jail insofar as Y2K is concerned.

Thanks!

Pop
Done and done!

Stewart

Old 07-18-2014, 03:11 PM
JNG6
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Y2K is my hero! I called the dealer this morning and nicely confronted them. They agreed to do the cooler for the cost of the parts as we originally agreed upon but they said they would be installing the stock cooler. My quote said "upgraded cooler" which I assumed was the 6.0 since there is no OEM coolers for the 7.3 diesels that could be considered an upgrade except that one. We went back and forth a bit and the service manager agreed to do the 6.0 cooler for the cost of the 7.3 cooler ($235) and no additional labor! It was Y2k's info that allowed me to prove the mechanic wrong and force them to make things right. Thanks to all the members that contributed!

Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

It's just a damn shame that you had to go to all that trouble to get the dealer to do the right thing!

Today's world..........

Pop

Old 07-19-2014, 12:35 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Thanks!

Pop
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yep, what he said!

Done and done!

Stewart

Thank you for the supportive words, Pops! And thank you for the reps Stewart and Kjndiver!

Y2K is my hero! I called the dealer this morning and nicely confronted them. They agreed to do the cooler for the cost of the parts as we originally agreed upon but they said they would be installing the stock cooler. My quote said "upgraded cooler" which I assumed was the 6.0 since there is no OEM coolers for the 7.3 diesels that could be considered an upgrade except that one. We went back and forth a bit and the service manager agreed to do the 6.0 cooler for the cost of the 7.3 cooler ($235) and no additional labor! It was Y2k's info that allowed me to prove the mechanic wrong and force them to make things right. Thanks to all the members that contributed!

That is wonderful! It makes me happy that the info helped you, as well as relieved for your sake that you now have a new OTA cooler to go with your new transmission. I would keep the receipts for the new OTA cooler together with the transmission receipt for the next three years, in case warranty service is ever needed.

I'm still curious if you have the oil to water cooler in your radiator. Would you be willing to hold your cell phone under your truck and snap a photo of the bottom of your radiator, biased toward the passenger side frame rail?

I'm impressed that you leveraged the dealer to upgrade you to the 6.0 cooler. That might be stepping out of the box for them, because they will have to find a way to adapt the 1/2" fittings on the 6.0 cooler to the 3/8" lines of your truck. Plus since the lines enter and exit the top of the old 7.3 cooler, versus the bottom of the 6.0 cooler, they will also have to do some off script work making that transition.

The 6.0L cooler will be likely be enough, but it would be even better if you also had the oil to water cooler. Unless you are the original owner, you can't tell by the build date alone, because a previous owner may have had the TSB done already.

If you (or we, via picture posted here) determine that you do not have the OTW cooler, then here is the list of parts for the 2000 model year to make that happen:

New Radiator Assembly with built in OTW in tank cooler: YC3Z-8005-BA

New Transmission Cooling Tube Assembly: YC3Z-7A031-AA

New Transmission Cooling Tube Assembly: YC3Z-7A031-CA (you need both)

New Transmission Cooling Hose Assembly: YC3Z-7R081-AA (yup, this too.)

New Retainer Clip to hold new cooling tubes: YC3Z-7N291-AA

The tubes are all pre bent to fit perfectly in the stock application. However, since you are now getting a 6.0L cooler, there will be some modification necessary.

The idea though is for the Oil To Water cooler to be first in line to get the hot transmission fluid from the torque converter. Water is a more efficient heat transfer medium than air, so get the hottest heat tempered by the water, then route from the OTW output to the new 6.0L OTA input, then the OTA output back to the transmission sump.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:42 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a late 99 with an OTW cooler. When the transmission was rebuilt for the previous owner, the shop disconnected the OTW cooler rather than flush or replace the radiator containing the OTW cooler. Thanks for the parts numbers that are necessary to fix this, Y2K. And thank you for the detailed information which finally shut up those jack***** at the Ford dealership. They clearly do not understand how to build brand loyalty. Your dedication as a Ford mechanic is appreciated by the many who subscribe to the threads where you put in your 2 cents worth--it is worth a lot more than that. Larry

Old 07-19-2014, 12:15 PM
JNG6
Mountain Pass
Y2K....I will try and get the picture today or tomorrow..... Stuck at work on OT trying to pay for the transmission....thanks again!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM
socuban
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DND58
...Not sure of the Doorman unit quality...
Just ordered one today after my tranny puked some fluid from a hard day's work. After I get it installed, will replace all the oil and see how it works.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 PM
JNG6
Mountain Pass
Y2K... Below is a link to the picture you requested. I'm not sure how to tell if I have the OTA and OTW coolers so if you need a picture at a different angle let me know.

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...f3223d97a1.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for you help. Got the truck back last night with the 6.0 cooler installed. I also installed a 3-in-1 Glowshift gauge (boost, EGT and transmission temp). On a side note, when installing the EGT into the exhaust manifold start with a small drill bit and work your way up (no matter what the instructions or youtube say) and for the boost, "T" into the MAP sensor line don't drill the intercooler housing.

Everything is within normal limits so far and with the new transmission the truck drives like a dream. Despite the confusions I have to give two thumbs up to Landmark Lincoln in Denver, CO. I truly believe the issues that occurred were due to a service desk person that was being trained and not stealership games. They made good on everything and I got the cooler for about half price!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!

Pop
Done Pop.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Below is a link to the picture you requested.
http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...f3223d97a1.jpg
That's not much of a picture, but maybe it's just my old eyes......

If you have an oil-to-water cooler in the bottom radiator tank it will look like this:

Pop

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler upgrade needed on 2000 7.3?????