1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

99 F150 ABS Light On

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Dave_Stanford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 F150 ABS Light On

Ive been following this as our econoline has exactly the same juddering/abs light on issue. The dealer has told me that we need the two front speed sensors replaced and the "hydraulic modular balancing unit" whatever that is - and I guess at $560 its expensive enuf to have an impressive name!. Ive been in lots of vehicles with ABS lights staying on, anyone know if its possible to switch the whole thing off and avoid the cost?

Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
99 F150 ABS Light On

My mother owns a GM product, and when her abs light came on it was just a burnt out brake light bulb. Not sure if Ford will do that or not, but only takes a second to check that both lights come on when the brake pedal is aplied.

In Ma. they plug into your data port under the dash for inspection sticker. If it shows a problem with abs, or air bag, you flunk. Taking out the abs bulb won't help on 96 and newer obdII.

Old 07-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
99 F150 ABS Light On

Hi Dave_Stanford and welcome to FTE
I'm curious what a hydraulic modular balancing unit is too.
What year is your van?

Old 07-17-2003, 09:11 PM
big60
Junior User
99 F150 ABS Light On

Hey guys,
I decided to cancel my appt. with the shop and do one last thing myself. I changed out my R.F. ABS sensor last night. I chose this one purely by elimination, as I have just replaced my rear sensor the other day and my L.F sensor is only 3 months old. It came with my new L.F. wheel bearing/hub assy. So I still had the old worn out hub/bearing that came off the left side and it had the ABS sensor still in it. I removed it from that old thing and put it in my right front hub on the truck.
I drove the truck today and it performed flawlessly. But, due to the random nature of this problem I cannot confirm nor deny success of my repair!
I will keep you all updated.
Rick

Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM
wolfgang031691
New User
Hey Big60.

Did this solve your problem? I have the exact same thing going on.

I was going to replace my rear sensor b/c it is cheap. If that doesn't do it, then I'm going to change my front left b/c my right front hub & bearing just got changed (3 months ago).

I did not keep the old hub. Wish I would've as it seems from your post these sensors are interchangeable.

Was it hard to get your front sensor out? I've heard many people say they broke theirs off in the hub.

Please let me know.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
superbond
New User
I too have problems with my 97 F150 with 4 wheel ABS. My light come's on seratically but the only issues I have is that I can smell burning brakes from the rear.So I changed the brake,wheel sylinder and brake drum.Then it started making the burning smell fromm the other side so I changed the wheel cylinder and drum.Still smell burnt brakes.I took the drum off and it was purple from how hot it got! I disconected the emerg brake still drum is hot but not as hot,still a problem so I disconected the ABS wire harness on the diff. No differeance so I hooked it back up.I am going through so much fuel.I have a code reader but it comes up nothing. At $118 per hour I don't want to bring it to a dealer. Maybe rear sensor but I unpluged it,would that not fix my problem if it was a rear sensor? Is there any other Idea's I should try.I did buy a used ABS module but it hasn't arrieved yet.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 AM
wolfgang031691
New User
ABS

I fixed my ABS problem. It was the front left sensor going bad. I replaced the whole hub because it was starting to go bad anyhow (the right one was way bad).

Anyhow, I think these trucks are junk. I know everyone on here is going to backlash me... but I had a 97 F250 that was a good truck. I had a 99 F250 that was a good truck. But the F150s in this group just aren't good trucks.

Are you sure you front brake calipers are not collapsing some? Common problem - especially in these trucks. Check those out b/c it sounds like you have pretty thoroughly checked the rears.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
superbond
New User
But it's my rear brakes that are giving me the problems. I have no issues with my brake pedal all I have is the brakes in the rear that are coming on and heating up my brake drum and making my fuel economy go down the tubs plus my shifting of my transmission is altered because of this.I can feel that my tuck is lagging

Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM
ntstock93
Junior User
Originally Posted by wolfgang031691

Anyhow, I think these trucks are junk. I know everyone on here is going to backlash me... but I had a 97 F250 that was a good truck. I had a 99 F250 that was a good truck. But the F150s in this group just aren't good trucks.
I'm with you on this. These trucks have way to many "small problems".

rear window leaks
windshields leak
ABS
spark plug/head design
heater core hose leaks onto the spark plug
power windows don't work right
power locks don't work right
transmissions fail....

Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 AM
wolfgang031691
New User
Originally Posted by superbond
But it's my rear brakes that are giving me the problems. I have no issues with my brake pedal all I have is the brakes in the rear that are coming on and heating up my brake drum and making my fuel economy go down the tubs plus my shifting of my transmission is altered because of this.I can feel that my tuck is lagging

Could your rear brakes be adjusted out too far? I usually do about 1-1/2 spins by hand on my rear tires. When I get there, I know I'm adjusted about right (usually).

There are several methods to get you adjusted "properly." But, for now, I'd adjust them down and see if the brake-drag is still there.

I'm surprised you don't have disc brakes on the rear...

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 AM
wolfgang031691
New User
Originally Posted by ntstock93
I'm with you on this. These trucks have way to many "small problems".

rear window leaks
windshields leak
ABS
spark plug/head design
heater core hose leaks onto the spark plug
power windows don't work right
power locks don't work right
transmissions fail....

Yes, my rear window leaks, ABS sucks, my heads have problems (and I have an oil leak involving my right head right now), I've had to replace the power mirror switch but nothing on the locks/windows, transmission has always been "clunky", rear diff problems, brake/cruise switch JUNK, tie-rod ends JUNK, brake rotors are cheap.

And this truck has been well-maintained... I can't wait to get rid of it.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:01 PM
superbond
New User
Originally Posted by Dave_Stanford
Ive been following this as our econoline has exactly the same juddering/abs light on issue. The dealer has told me that we need the two front speed sensors replaced and the "hydraulic modular balancing unit" whatever that is - and I guess at $560 its expensive enuf to have an impressive name!. Ive been in lots of vehicles with ABS lights staying on, anyone know if its possible to switch the whole thing off and avoid the cost?
I talked to a buddy of mine whom is a retired mechanic for a local Ford dealer and he said that light gust tells you that your ABS brake will not work.the ABS system will not affect the performance of your brakes

Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 PM
kayok
New User
My brake used to pulsate and my ABS light was on. I had all three sensors replaced and it fixed all the my brake problems.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 AM
superbond
New User
Originally Posted by kayok
My brake used to pulsate and my ABS light was on. I had all three sensors replaced and it fixed all the my brake problems.

It turned out that all the problems I had was from 1. rear sensor and 2. emerg brakes seized

Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
txnotny
New User
1998 ford Expedition

Hello all I have been reading this thread to try and solve my brake issue, I have a 98 for expedition 200200K 2 wheel drive 4 wheel disk brakes, And here is my issue, When turning right only at slow speeds the brake pedal will pulsate and create a near no brake condition, after it happens a few times the ABS light comes on, after the light comes on the pulsation goes away, It only happens right, New rotors, bearings pads, brake hoses, Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 99 F150 ABS Light On