Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   99 F150 ABS Light On (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/132536-99-f150-abs-light-on.html)

big60 07-10-2003 11:01 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

I have a 99 F150 4X4 with 4 wheel ABS and 80K miles. My ABS light on the dash has been coming on recently. It will go out for a while, & then come on again later.What is the first step to figure this out? Does this sound like anything someone may know who has worked on theirs before?
Help me out here, I am a points/carburetor guy trying to figure out these modern machines.
thanks,
Rick

Racerguy 07-10-2003 08:19 PM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Hi Rick,
As long as the light on the dash has been on there will be a trouble code stored in the ABS module. The first step is to get the truck scanned and see what code comes up. If you post the code we can probably give you some tests to do.

NASCARTruckDude 07-11-2003 10:30 PM

99 F150 ABS Light On

I had the same problem on my F150, but it turned out to be that when I started the truck I rotated the key a little too much and the ignition on the steering column got jammed too far up (weird). Now every time I start my truck I make sure my ignition is in the right place.
This solved my problem with the ABS light staying on all the time.
Hope this helps man.

Chris

big60 07-14-2003 08:13 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Hey guys,
I am now noticing (every once in a while) the brake pedal pulsating like the ABS is actuating. This will occur at random during light braking.
I must ask a possible stupid question about this scanning:
If I were to purchase one of these code scanners, will it tell me codes for the brakes or ONLY engine/emmisions related problems?
I really hesitate to take the truck to the dealer just yet.
thanks,
Rick

MarcusBear 07-14-2003 08:45 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

if you go to autozone they will read the code for you for free. I had the same problem with my f150.. and the sensor on the rear diff was bad ...

big60 07-14-2003 10:22 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Marcusbear,
Thanks for the reply, I got my hopes up and called my local Autozone and they can only scan for codes engine/"check engine light on" related.
dang. still may have to go to dealer!!

Rick

dbeames 07-14-2003 11:44 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Not all codes make the check engine light come on. They will still be set in memory. An ABS problem isn't an engine problem, thus no light. :) So, go down there and have them scan both KOEO and KOER codes. You might strike gold. :D

big60 07-14-2003 01:38 PM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Well I went to the Ford dealer and bought a new ABS sensor that goes into the rearend. This part costs less than 20 bucks and seems to be one of the more failure prone components in the system. I havent got any codes scanned yet, just some searching on this great forum and others mentioning of this part failing.
If I get a chance, I will install this tonight and see if I get lucky!

Rick

Black1 07-14-2003 03:32 PM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Should you remove the battery's negative cable while removing the sensor, so the system will reset with the new sensor?

I hope that made sense. I'm trying to get updated myself. I've had the same issue with the light on every now and then. Maybe I should replace my ABS sensor, too. I haven't experienced any malfunctions, just have the light on every now and then.

big60 07-14-2003 08:36 PM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Black1,
I was thinking the very same thing about disconnecting the battery, but I didnt do it while replacing my sensor tonight. I wanted to see what it would do. So anyway, I replaced that rear sensor and went for a ride. The ABS light came on but the pedal never pulsated no matter how many times I pressed the brakes.
I do not know if I fixed it, so I will drive it for a couple days and see if the pedal acts up. The rear ABS sensor that came out did have small metal fragments stuck to it.
thanks,
Rick

goodin72 07-15-2003 10:18 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Big60 - I had been ignoring my ABS light until my brakes started flaking out on me - at a slow stop the ABS would try to kick in.

Anyway, just this weekend, my mechanic replaced the front left and rear left sensors (brake?) and fixed the problem.

Don't let this happen to you!! Get the sensors checked out before the brakes flake out on you. It cost me about $250 to replace the two sensors plus the front right.

Good luck!

Goodin72

big60 07-15-2003 09:28 PM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Goodin72,
thanks for the tip, my truck has already been doing the brake pedal pulsating chattering thing off and on at low speed.
Odd thing is, now, a day after installing the new rear sensor, the ABS light is out....but wife claims the pedal still made the chattering/pulsating at low speed once. I drove it home after this and everything worked like a charm, so who knows what is going on.
Rick

goodin72 07-16-2003 10:20 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Big60 -

My friend/mechanic ended up replacing both the front left, front right, and rear left wheel speed sensors. It not only fixed the brake situation, but turned the ABS light off as well.

If she still thinks there is a problem, check the other sensors.

Good luck!!

Goodin72

BTW (by the way) - how much did you pay for the sensors?

big60 07-16-2003 12:07 PM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Goodin72,
I am going to take the truck tomorrow to a shop to scan for codes on the ABS system. I drove it today and the brake pedal pulsated/chattered one time like the ABS was actuating. The light came on then it went off, it's just screwd up. I paid about $20 from the dealer for the one rear sensor that bolts to the top of the rear differential. It didnt fix it, so I probly just wasted money.
We'll see what the shop comes up with tomorrow.

Rick

goodin72 07-17-2003 09:07 AM

99 F150 ABS Light On

Hey -

Make sure they check the wheel speed sensors. Ever since my mechanic replaced the three, I haven't had any problems w/the ABS.

Good luck!

goodin72