Sponsored by:

Subwoofer amp install- tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer amp install- tips?

I'm planning to install an amp under my second row fold down bench. I was looking at previous threads and I was wondering if you guys had any tips.

Places to get through the firewall?

A place to ground my amp under the seat?

I'm planning on fabing up some kind of bracket so I don't have to screw the amp to the floor.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting through the firewall, there is a plug next to the master cylinder where the clutch master would go on a truck. I'm grounded to a seat bolt under the 60 part of the seat. I have my punch 300.1 mounted on 1x wood risers that are heavy duty Velcro'd to the carpet. No heat issues. My seat still folds and slides fine, no issues, all wiring is fished under the carpet from either side of the vehicle.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Archion
Getting through the firewall, there is a plug next to the master cylinder where the clutch master would go on a truck. I'm grounded to a seat bolt under the 60 part of the seat. I have my punch 300.1 mounted on 1x wood risers that are heavy duty Velcro'd to the carpet. No heat issues. My seat still folds and slides fine, no issues, all wiring is fished under the carpet from either side of the vehicle.
Thank you!

Anyone else want to offer some other tips or tricks? Maybe how/where you guys routed your amp power cable etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not my picture or my rig, found it here on the forum. As you can see, plenty of room and you can make it nice and tidy. Please post pictures of your process when you get to it.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garrett248
I'm planning to install an amp under my second row fold down bench. I was looking at previous threads and I was wondering if you guys had any tips.

Places to get through the firewall?

A place to ground my amp under the seat?

I'm planning on fabing up some kind of bracket so I don't have to screw the amp to the floor.

Thanks guys!
What kind of motor do you have? Maybe I'm mistaken but I read somewhere that with a dual battery setup on the diesels youre not supposed to use one side for accessories, this is going back quite a few years when I had gotten my 97 F350. Never did a good explanation as to why either

Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm in the same stage as you, trying to figure out where I can fish my power wire and how best to mount my amp rack.

If I find some useful info I'll post back

Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Power wire fits through the clutch plug, I found that easiest. Route it under the kick steps and then I poked a hole in the carpet for it to come up underneath the seat.
I grounded to a seat bolt into the floor, of course grind it down to bare metal first.
Why don't you install the amp on your subwoofer box?

Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
I screwed the amp into the carpet and it holds well and doesn't overheat even with the seats folded down.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

That pic is after mounting, and all wiring was completed.

I mounted my amps to aluminum C channel that I screwed into the floor. Since the amps matched(4ch and mono sub), I only needed two rails running left/right to mount both amps. That gave just a little space to keep them off the carpet, and provided a void for wiring to be laid. All the source wiring comes from the dash, under the PS sill plate, under the carpet, and terminates. Speaker wires routed roughly the same, on DS side. I ran power from battery on framerail, and penetrated up under the larger amp. I grounded under the DS sill plate, after taking the connection point to bare metal. This keeps it clean, dry, and serviceable.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
What kind of motor do you have? Maybe I'm mistaken but I read somewhere that with a dual battery setup on the diesels youre not supposed to use one side for accessories, this is going back quite a few years when I had gotten my 97 F350. Never did a good explanation as to why either
I have the v10 and I'm just running one battery of course.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Garrett248
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kornfanjoe
Power wire fits through the clutch plug, I found that easiest. Route it under the kick steps and then I poked a hole in the carpet for it to come up underneath the seat.
I grounded to a seat bolt into the floor, of course grind it down to bare metal first.
Why don't you install the amp on your subwoofer box?
I didn't want to mount it on the box because I use the truck for moving stuff quiet often and it would be difficult to disconnect it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Garrett248
Freshman User
I just thought of this important question.

Can I run my power lead along side my speaker wires down in the hick panels at the bottom of the doors? Just worried about interference

Edit: Just did a little google research- it looks like it should be fine b/c it is a relatively low voltage.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x

That pic is after mounting, and all wiring was completed.

I mounted my amps to aluminum C channel that I screwed into the floor. Since the amps matched(4ch and mono sub), I only needed two rails running left/right to mount both amps. That gave just a little space to keep them off the carpet, and provided a void for wiring to be laid. All the source wiring comes from the dash, under the PS sill plate, under the carpet, and terminates. Speaker wires routed roughly the same, on DS side. I ran power from battery on framerail, and penetrated up under the larger amp. I grounded under the DS sill plate, after taking the connection point to bare metal. This keeps it clean, dry, and serviceable.
Nice and clean installation - good job!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:27 AM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Garrett248
I didn't want to mount it on the box because I use the truck for moving stuff quiet often and it would be difficult to disconnect it.
If you go to any auto store you can buy the quick connect fittings for larger gauge wire and then mount it all to your box, when removing just unplug that, unplug rca cable and make your remote wire quick connect too. It's what I did in my exploder before and worked awesome.
Either way it's preference and both work well.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kornfanjoe
If you go to any auto store you can buy the quick connect fittings for larger gauge wire and then mount it all to your box, when removing just unplug that, unplug rca cable and make your remote wire quick connect too. It's what I did in my exploder before and worked awesome.
Either way it's preference and both work well.
Google Anderson Power Poles...they make quick disconnects for wire up to 1/0 gauge. I've seen some guys wire connectors up to the grille to make jump starting easier, etc.

You could (if you wanted to) get a set of those for your power leads (they come in a bunch of sizes)...with a disconnect for the power, you'd just need to pop the RCAs and the speaker and amp would come out.

...not sure what kind of additional beating the amp would take mounted to a box though.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer amp install- tips?