Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 03:38 PM
scottamu
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

I am currently debating on whether to go with a Magnaflow 14" Round or a Flowmaster Muffler on my F150 SCREW with the 5.4L. I would like to be able to just replace the stock muffler with the new one and get a good low tone sound with a deep tone when putting you foot into it. I have heard that flowmasters resonate pretty bad inside the cab at all rpm's and I am trying to stay away from that. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Old 09-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check this thread and post number 174.
http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...5&page=7&pp=25

Old 09-12-2004, 10:28 PM
ssKable
Senior User
I have dual 3" exhaust with a magnaflow dual in dual out muffler it sounds great when I first did the exhaust and it was just cat back wosent loud but it had a nice deep tone really clean sounding and didn't produce much noise in the cab, I'v since expanded onto my exhaust putting on some gibson headers and remove the cats and it made it louder but still the same low deep tone I would strongly recommend magnaflow I'v heard, and I dont know if its true or not, that flowmasters are pretty restrictive. Someone correct me if thats not right because its only what I have heard from other people. Good luck in your decision making.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:21 PM
scottamu
New User
Thanks for the info. Which magnaflow model do you have? I am not looking to completely redo my exhaust like you did, but just replace the muffler. I have been thinking about getting dual tips also, because I have heard that dual tips make the muffler a little louder.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:35 PM
framerboy
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
When it comes exhaust systems, 40 guys will have 40 different opinions. When I was shopping for my two trucks I talked to the manufacturers, an exhaust shop or two, and owners of trucks similar to mine. All the major manufacturers have good stuff, it is up to you to decide which is best for you. My f150 has a Flowmaster 40 series, single in, single out. My f250 has a Flowmaster 50 series also single in and single out, with a high flow cat. I like them both. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:38 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Flowmaster is the choice of most racers. I personally have them on 4 different vehicles and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
ssKable
Senior User
I'm pretty sure my magnaflow is a universal fit aluminized steel 5"x8" muffler with dual 3" inlets and outlets. I am planning on redoing my exhaust eventually because its too open going to go down to 2.5 inches and stick with magnaflow. Just go to magnaflows website for more info on it at magnaflow.com. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:19 PM
plasticboob
Junior User
My Jeep gets the 3" Flowmaster 40, Expedition gets the 3" Magnaflow (forgot which one it is), both single. Two totally different sounds and volume levels, but the Magnaflow is smooth and mellow until you romp on it, but even then it doesn't roar. It just sounds more refined, but definitely not stock. The Flowmaster, on the other hand, SCREAMS and bellows, even at idle it's very loud. And it has the signature "Flowmaster" tone. It's nice to line up my tailpipe to a car blasting rap music with their windows down - I have more bass than they do, and along with the uncatalyzed exhaust fumes, THEY are the ones who end up closing their windows!

It's a toss up for me; I like them both very much, and wouldn't switch to anything else on either vehicle.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 AM
whereisgraeme
New User
I put two Flowmasters on my 07 Screw (40's I believe - should have waited for the larger ones in retrospect!). The tips fill the space between the running board and the rear passenger tire - very slick! With top-side mods and the cats cut-off and replaced with glass-packs I can be a little on the loud side... my dogs hear me two streets away.. but the rich throaty V8 sounds have won nothing but compliments - no complaints.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Flowmaster is the choice of most racers. I personally have them on 4 different vehicles and wouldn't trade them for anything.
i have since seen the light and now have Magnaflow on my stuff. No rust and better flow!!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LxMan1
i have since seen the light and now have Magnaflow on my stuff. No rust and better flow!!
Yep,I had those "chokemasters", or "dronemasters" on one vehicle. Never again.
JL

Old 05-01-2010, 03:01 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hhhmmm i put flowmasters on my bird johnny and i like the sound and they seem to do quite well , but like was mentioned everyone has their own preferences . the droning i don't mind , one i'm half deaf from all the loud concerts of my youth , two all the years spent in dirt cars with open headers has contributed to the hearing loss , three i don't have a radio in the 53 and don't use the one in the bird so i gotta have something to listen too , and i can't think of nothing better than my flatty through headers and glasspacks or the 4.6's note through the duals and flowmasters . rust well i live in central illinois thats a given so .........................

Old 05-02-2010, 06:22 PM
79mustang351w
Freshman User
magnaflow or Borla is the only way to go! unless u like the tin can sound of flowmasters...ur call!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
turtlesdove3
New User
Originally Posted by framerboy
When it comes exhaust systems, 40 guys will have 40 different opinions. When I was shopping for my two trucks I talked to the manufacturers, an exhaust shop or two, and owners of trucks similar to mine. All the major manufacturers have good stuff, it is up to you to decide which is best for you. My f150 has a Flowmaster 40 series, single in, single out. My f250 has a Flowmaster 50 series also single in and single out, with a high flow cat. I like them both. Good luck.
Yeah, that's me! same minds, different tastes? You got flowmaster I got Magnaflow and I'm satisfied as you!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:13 AM
bigblue61
Senior User
I have a 2004 f250 5.4 and i just replaced my stock muffler with a flowmaster 50 series and I could not be happier. There is a rumble around 1500 rpm but after that it quiets down quite a bit in the cab. Outside there is a noticeable increase in sound but it is throaty and not obnoxious. I use my truck at work so I wasn't looking for a very loud exhaust but I am happy with the more aggressive tone I got from the flowmaster.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster