1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another OT

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob, my congratulations to you. As a business owner myself, I totally understand what you have and are going through. I left a corporate job to be my own boss. I can't play well with others apparently. lol Being an owner, as you know, has perks but it also carries a lot of burden. I am ok with that burden for now but I too will have enough of it one day.

I recently told a customer, who in my opinion was being unreasonable, that I had over 50+ people per day that demand time or money from me. I not so subtly informed them that I wasn't going to add them to the list and they could either put up with me or find someone else. They found someone else. I don't regret doing that. Freedom and finances are what we make of it. You made a choice that will ultimately give you more peace of mind and probably prolong your life. You, dear Bob, saw the writing on the wall and take action. Most people never do that. For that, you are not a loser but a winner in my book. Good luck with the new job.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Bob
I have a friend that put it as well as anyone I know.

If you wake up in the morning and think

Do I go to work
Do I call in sick
Do I shoot myself.

It's past time to find another way to make a living.

Having spent some time with you over a couple of years and hearing a couple of times your frustration I think your life will be a lot better without all the hassle you have been experiencing. Congrats
Larry

Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by larryb346
Bob
I have a friend that put it as well as anyone I know.

If you wake up in the morning and think

Do I go to work
Do I call in sick
Do I shoot myself.

It's past time to find another way to make a living.

Larry
Bob, I was in business for myself for 36 years:

Except when you are your own boss, you don't have a choice but to go to work, especially if you have employees.
You can't call in sick! "I once called in sick to me, but I knew I was lying so I had to fire myself!"
Shooting yourself isn't the solution, but it's really tempting too many times.

It very nearly killed me and destroyed my marriage.
It may seem like a failure at first, but it really isn't! You are lucky to get a second chance. Just think about the vacation days off, Just realize that now you will be the guy who no matter how bad things go, can pack up and go home at quitting time without a bit of concern or worry. You can do anything you want evenings, weekends, and holidays! You can go to bed and fall asleep without a worry or care in the world. You'll know exactly how much pay you'll get in each paycheck and they will come at a regular time. You can pass the buck! Rejoice!!!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,120 Likes on 821 Posts
One of the main reasons I started my own business was because I didn't play well with others I worked with. I enjoyed working by myself but then business grew and I had to hire employees who it seemed I had to baby sit half of the time. I have come to the realization that I just have to play nice with my new co-workers. The nice thing about the situation I am going into is I had a ten year trial period to get to know my future co-workers and know who they are and what they are like. I have the luxury of being able to study them in small spurts. I know the ones to avoid and the ones I know I can work with the best.

Larry, your friend is correct. When I started going into the shop and screaming that I didn't want to be there I pretty knew it was time to move on. There are other things going on away from work that didn't help so they made it even worse.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:53 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Ax, 100% correct on everything you typed. In the past 15 years I missed on day of work because of sickness, I had a bad case of carbon monoxide poisoning from running my forklift to long in my shop. In the last 10 years I took one one week vacation and another two day vacation because either jobs had to get out when I was busy or I didn't have the money when things were slow. Now, like you said, I can take my two full weeks paid, when I'm sick I can stay home and working on weekends will be the exceptions and I will not work a single holiday.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
One of the main reasons I started my own business was because I didn't play well with others I worked with. I enjoyed working by myself but then business grew and I had to hire employees who it seemed I had to baby sit half of the time. I have come to the realization that I just have to play nice with my new co-workers. The nice thing about the situation I am going into is I had a ten year trial period to get to know my future co-workers and know who they are and what they are like. I have the luxury of being able to study them in small spurts. I know the ones to avoid and the ones I know I can work with the best.

Larry, your friend is correct. When I started going into the shop and screaming that I didn't want to be there I pretty knew it was time to move on. There are other things going on away from work that didn't help so they made it even worse.
All you have to do now is not work your way up to being a supervisor, or you will end up with the same sort of problems. Sounds to me like you are on a winner. Running your own business can have a lot of benefits if things go well, but can certainly be a lot of dramas.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:51 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Good call on the career change, Bob. Having spend a bit of time as in industrial purchasing, those Buyers don't have the flexibility for maintaining local, loyal sources. In addition, as you said, the pressure to insource work is strong due to the margin erosion that most manufacturers are under.

The good news, is that the lure of off shore sources is greatly diminished. The material and labor advantage of Chinese producers has dwindled to less that 15% on only the labor. Considering the 10-15% annual increases in Chinese labor costs, transportation time inflexibility, currency exchange trends, and energy costs, smart players are finding world class pricing right in the US of A. Alternatives to China aren't in India (no infrastructure), Vietnam (little industrial base), Thailand (politics), or Mexico (energy costs, labor stability, and narco-politics). I see great things ahead - good that you are in position to be part of the recovery.

DW

Old 07-12-2014, 02:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
Bob, I hope you are truly back to working 40 hrs/week, every weekend off, no late-night call-ins, and vacation whenever you feel like it! At least there will be more security and stability, that is a huge plus. But that sure wasn't my experience in almost 40 years of working for other people. If you're a fresh college grad or apprentice, maybe. Once you are relatively senior (5+ yrs experience), there is always some rush work that can't wait; vacations that need to be juggled with workload and with other employees' vacations; covering for sick fellow employees; etc. And of course you are expected to "take one for the team" to get 'er done. There's a reason they call it "work"! Not to bust your bubble, but....

BTW I'd be interested to see if the dynamic with the other employees changes (for the better) now that you are "one of them". I've jumped across the aisle once or twice, and was shocked how differently the former counterparts treated me, now that I was "on the team". Amazing how many people still operate in a "us vs. them" mode. Particularly if they view you as doing "their" work.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
As the son of an entrepreneur, I have heard this song many many times before. A couple things Dad taught me were that business partners worth having are harder to find and live with than a wife worth having and living with and having both is as hard as having two of either. Also that there's a fine line between running a business and being run by a business. The entrepreneurial blood is rich in my veins, though I've yet to totally jump ship. Came extremely close a time or ten when side work was 2 or 3 times as lucrative as the "compensation package", but with what the economy has done in the last 6 years and as a family man with little ones, like my pops did, I'm enjoying the deferred liability and alluring benefits package that comes with employment. Health insurance and rock-star bosses sure came in handy for birthing three babies and weathering my own cancer diagnosis in my mid 20s. I am blessed!
Even among the employed in the construction biz within the "new economy" we opted to downsize out of our nice new country house and relocate closer to work and "life" in a suburb town and we have essentially zero regrets in doing so. The world would say I have "failed" at the American dream but I know what our successes are, how these shadow the perceived "American dream" I and suspect your success is, or will soon be similar. I have a fortune cookie paper tacked to my cubicle wall that reads "you should start your own business someday." I got it during one of those times when I really wanted to call my own shots. But that "someday" spoke to me. It's not quite the right time for me yet, but one day I will strike that goal of self employment off my bucket list. That alone is a success, as has been said. It's a rare breed who have the ball bearings to break out and do it. I tip my hat to you for having offered the opportunity of employment to others. That too is a service and no small one as you have recounted the hassles involved with seeking and maintaining employees. You deserve this whether is just a break or a long-term or permanent revision. Also as a faithful man, I find encouragement from the good word.

"After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content. But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction."

"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little."

I had to reevaluate my motivations more than once. Having faced that nearly tragic health scare in my 20s, I slowed down and recognized, life is too dang short to mess it up. It sure ain't worth being miserable. I started a saying in my early 20s when I was newly wed and mortgaged and going to college and working full time-plus and sleeping far too little and killing myself... My happiness is worth $50k. Back then I would have done a job unhappily for additional 50k. With inflation and professional advancement, my number is now $100k. I will let myself be unhappy for some 40 hours a week (no more for that number) for an additional 100 grand over what I earn now. So far, I haven't had to turn that down...

I remember the days in my dad's office with the big desk, hearing him say with wet eyes he just wanted to go drive the courtesy car for the fancy car dealership and be happy making minimum wage and being friendly with people. Enjoy the simpler days ahead. I pray they are refreshing and fulfilling and encouraging and a blessing to you!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob congrats. It's a great move. I've owned my business 43 years now When I was in Chicago I had 45 employees - it was like being married to them with out the benefits. I had over 100 magazines I maintained the data base for and finally said enough! I downsized to 12 customers moved to KY and dumped all the employees. The magazine industry is dying a slow death and I'm down to 3 small customers but unlike like you I have no where to go for a job as most of my competitors are gone. That's ok as I'm ok with retirement and look forward to not working 12-14 hours every day. I am going to find out what a vacation I s really like as I've only had 6 weeks off in those 43 years and 2 of those we're because of back surgery. You are one smart guy for seeing the light and doing something about it. Don't look back just keep moving forward and enjoy the new experience. Have fun.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Bob, I hope you are truly back to working 40 hrs/week, every weekend off, no late-night call-ins, and vacation whenever you feel like it! At least there will be more security and stability, that is a huge plus. But that sure wasn't my experience in almost 40 years of working for other people. If you're a fresh college grad or apprentice, maybe. Once you are relatively senior (5+ yrs experience), there is always some rush work that can't wait; vacations that need to be juggled with workload and with other employees' vacations; covering for sick fellow employees; etc. And of course you are expected to "take one for the team" to get 'er done. There's a reason they call it "work"! Not to bust your bubble, but....

BTW I'd be interested to see if the dynamic with the other employees changes (for the better) now that you are "one of them". I've jumped across the aisle once or twice, and was shocked how differently the former counterparts treated me, now that I was "on the team". Amazing how many people still operate in a "us vs. them" mode. Particularly if they view you as doing "their" work.
Ross, with the new job I know there will be the occasional late night but I'll get compensated for it with money, not with "I really needed it sooner". I've taken many for the team in the last 15 years. I paid with money and time to fix other's screw ups. There were many, many nights spent fixing mistakes on projects so they would be ready for delivery in the morning. One time one of my "experienced" employees completely miswired an entire control panel that needed to be delivered the following day. I didn't catch it until after he left for the day because I was tied up with another project. I started checking it out about 8 at night and worked until 7 in the morning redoing it. I delivered it to the job site and when my employee walked in he told one of my customer's employees that they should avoid me because I seemed crabby for some reason. That was the last job this employee did for me. There are quite a few other stories I have like this.

As for the atmosphere of the company I am going to, I think I have a pretty good handle on the people that I will be working with. I know the *****, they haven't hidden their personalities from me as a sub-contractor, if anything they have given me a harder time than they do their actual co-workers. As a sub-contractor I just "Yes", "Sure" and "OK" them while their co-workers blew them off or told them where to go. I'll do my best to tolerate or avoid them. I think I have a great advantage being able to scope out the field rather than just jumping into the pool and finding out after spending many awkward days trying to sort it out.

Also, from what I have seen over the last 10+ years, the management seems pretty giving. On top of what I consider a great compensation package, I've seen times when employees, even in lower management, who I worked closely with, leave work to tend to personal needs even when we were in the midst of a hot job. The seem to have an attitude, that while the customer and work is of the most importance, that it's important to be flexible with their staff.

Originally Posted by vintage56
I remember the days in my dad's office with the big desk, hearing him say with wet eyes he just wanted to go drive the courtesy car for the fancy car dealership and be happy making minimum wage and being friendly with people. Enjoy the simpler days ahead. I pray they are refreshing and fulfilling and encouraging and a blessing to you!
I know the feelings you dad went through.

I haven't entirely close my business down. I am keeping one foot in the door and will still take on small jobs. If this new job doesn't work out for me I'll hang on until I have my current business debt taken care of and save a little more and maybe start another business. I know I wouldn't do the same thing I have been doing. I would have to start some other type of business. But first I have to see how this new chapter in my life will work out. You all have been a great form of support and I really appreciate it.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:20 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Bob congrats. It's a great move. I've owned my business 43 years now When I was in Chicago I had 45 employees - it was like being married to them with out the benefits. I had over 100 magazines I maintained the data base for and finally said enough! I downsized to 12 customers moved to KY and dumped all the employees. The magazine industry is dying a slow death and I'm down to 3 small customers but unlike like you I have no where to go for a job as most of my competitors are gone. That's ok as I'm ok with retirement and look forward to not working 12-14 hours every day. I am going to find out what a vacation I s really like as I've only had 6 weeks off in those 43 years and 2 of those we're because of back surgery. You are one smart guy for seeing the light and doing something about it. Don't look back just keep moving forward and enjoy the new experience. Have fun.
Thanks Dave, I remember talking to at Shane's. I loved the stories of your Chicago land adventures.

I agree fully about employees, they can be a bigger pain than the customers can be.

I am going to try to take everything I can out of the new job. As I stated above the atmosphere of the company seems to be very good toward the employees. I have been able to see this for years. I've worked at places that make it sound like it's better than what it actually is. You usually never have the chance know until you go in and then you feel stuck. One of the last places I worked for was like that. When I interviewed they told this golden story about the place. Once I got in it was miserable, I stayed for 9 months until I could find another job. That one also turned out to be a dud and that is why I started my own business.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I've worked at places that make it sound like it's better than what it actually is. You usually never have the chance know until you go in and then you feel stuck. One of the last places I worked for was like that. When I interviewed they told this golden story about the place. Once I got in it was miserable, I stayed for 9 months until I could find another job. That one also turned out to be a dud and that is why I started my own business.
Congratulations on making this move. It will be better for your health. I don't know your age, but I know nobody at any age needs excessive stress. You know the difference between self-employment and working for someone else. So you won't be the boss... or babysitter. Yes, you'll have to do what your boss wants, but the benefits will far outweigh that sometimes inconvenience.

I have never been brave enough to start my own business. And I admire all of you who have done it. But I will have worked for the same company for 40 years in another 3 months. And there have been several times when I didn't want to work here any more. But I'm a firm believer in "the grass is greener" idea, and things that change for the worse have almost always turned around for the better. Because I've stuck around, I'll have a nice pension when I retire (soon).

Good luck in your new job! And enjoy those weeks of vacation! You definitely deserve them.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:45 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,485 Posts
Bob, you have a lot of friends here at FTE, looking at the replies. And we all think you made a good move. You do good work and this company is picking you up because they know you do good work.

Good luck with your new job and report back to us after your first day as an employee.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Bob,
Congrats on the job change, You are a dedicated guy and deserve the best. Just remember, that 15 years ago, you had the ***** and guts to go out there and get it done. Things other guys only dream about but never get to fulfill. You made it happen. Best of luck and peace,

Quick Reply: Another OT