Scan tool reads bank 2 fuel sys. N/a?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Mass928
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Scan tool reads bank 2 fuel sys. N/a?

i have a 2004 ford f350 6.8L V10 and its running lean once i hook up the scan tool it shows fuel system 2 as N/A and the o2 sensor on sensor 1 bank 2 shows 0.000 ive replaced the oxygen sensor and still same issue i dont know what else to do also theres no check engine light on where do i go next and why would there be o signal reading on the sensor by the pcm?

Model: F350
Year: 2004
Will you attempt to fix yourself?: Yes
What have you tried so far?: plugs, coils, maf sensor, o2 sensor, all injectors are firing the right way and pressure is great.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 PM
carguy94
Senior User
that signal is most likely not from the pcm it self. these sensors are not oxygen sensors they are air fuel ratio sensors much different and much more precise to get the air fuel mixture stoichiometric.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Mass928
New User
Originally Posted by carguy94
that signal is most likely not from the pcm it self. these sensors are not oxygen sensors they are air fuel ratio sensors much different and much more precise to get the air fuel mixture stoichiometric.
Ok so do you have any idea what to do next? I'm out of options as far as my knowledge.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM
carguy94
Senior User
is the vehicle running poor any other trouble codes repair history. sounds to me like the scan tool just is displaying the data in a very basic level o to one volt scale real way to test it is not with a auto parts store scan tool what kind are you using lap scope / scan tool or live data code reader. you can test them but sounds to me if nothings wrong with the vehicle this information is fine so any performance issues. do you have lean codes

Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Mass928
New User
is the vehicle running poor any other trouble codes repair history. sounds to me like the scan tool just is displaying the data in a very basic level o to one volt scale real way to test it is not with a auto parts store scan tool what kind are you using lap scope / scan tool or live data code reader. you can test them but sounds to me if nothings wrong with the vehicle this information is fine so any performance issues. do you have lean codes
No codes/history either it is a gender ethic scan tool basic one. There's is something wrong fuel trims on bank 2 are leaned out completely truck runs rough ver rough sounds like a honda civic out of timing. Everyone I've spoken to says a faulty wire between oxygen sensor and PCM or a bad PCM but everyone is dum founded

Old 07-09-2014, 05:58 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 878 Likes on 730 Posts
What are you using for a scan tool?

How do you know it's running lean?

California (OBDII) or Federal (OBDI) calibration? See label under side of hood.

An AFR sensor is an oxygen sensor, don't get hung up on or sidetracked by the terminology.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Mass928
New User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
What piece of junk are you using for a scan tool?
a genetic one gives codes and definition runs live data etc. i have used it to work on hundreds of vehicles i have never had an issue on accuracy with it with that said i can throw the damm thing away no problem but doesnt change the fact i have the original issue on my truck there are 0 codes stored / history or showing the engine light comeson normal prior to starting the vehicle so that is working properly also i can get it to throw a code if i want to by unplugging the MAF/INJECTORS/COILS ETC but it wont tell what the heck is wrong with it as far as the rough idle/driving condition i came on here for some advice on where to go next with my truck as far as diagnosing it but it seems that everyone is stuck on my scan tool not giving me the answer if the darn thing did i would be posting it on here and wasting anyones time

Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Mass928
New User
Cool

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
What are you using for a scan tool?

How do you know it's running lean?

California (OBDII) or Federal (OBDI) calibration? See label under side of hood.

An AFR sensor is an oxygen sensor, don't get hung up on or sidetracked by the terminology.
live data states +20% short trims on bank 2 long trim -20% that's how i know its running lean. next question is hood is aftermarket so there's no sticker under the hood but its not a California one that's for sure. what i'm getting hung up on is reasoning for it running lean is bank 2 oxygen sensor is 0.000 is not suppose to read 0.000 also the bank 2 oxygen sensor fuel system reading is n/a ive never seen that before so did i replace the sensor yes do i know its a AFR YES if it weren't Afr it would make any changes to the AFR on bank 2 and it would be running perfectly fine as the bank 1 is sensor is reading 0.458 to 0.658 the last 2 numbers on that are just out of my a== but that sensor is reading fine also fuel system bank 1 oxygen sensor show that is working not N/A like bank 2

Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 AM
carguy94
Senior User
does it happen when the engines is cold all the time. try plugging the suspect sensor and see if the problem still exists. i do not mean your scan tool is bad but for this type system it was never meant to take these readings and just so you know their is a big difference between an air fuel senor and a oxygen sensor they are different did the sensor have many little hole or no visible holes in it. did not mean to side track but its very nice that you know the fuel trims. and do you have a fuel pressure gauge and propane bottle. and what makes you think you have a lean condition.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
just so you know their is a big difference between an air fuel senor and a oxygen sensor they are different did the sensor have many little hole or no visible holes in it.
WTF are you talking about?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 AM
carguy94
Senior User
do you know what an oxygen sensor is. do you know what an air fuel ratio sensor is. whats the question. you have a narrow band type sensor and a wide band type sensor an oxygen sensor makes it own voltage were as an air fuel is much different its much more precise then an oxygen sensor. does not matter any way this will not aid him in diagnostics but for that same reason he was hung up on the sensor readings. one last thing these trucks should be stock with narrow but with the odd readings he was getting it does not much matter.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 878 Likes on 730 Posts
If the truck is OBD1 (most likely) then it is probably using PCM data storage locations other than where your scan tool is looking. Since the scan tool is looking at PIDs that are either undefined or the incorrect one for your particular vehicle under test, the tool is reporting either N/A (not available) or a zero value.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 PM
carguy94
Senior User
to see if your sensor is actually reporting you need to create a rich or lean condition and see how the sensor and fuel trims react this will tell you weather or not your tool is able to read and if so what the sensor is doing.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
do you know what an oxygen sensor is. do you know what an air fuel ratio sensor is. whats the question. you have a narrow band type sensor and a wide band type sensor an oxygen sensor makes it own voltage were as an air fuel is much different its much more precise then an oxygen sensor. does not matter any way this will not aid him in diagnostics but for that same reason he was hung up on the sensor readings. one last thing these trucks should be stock with narrow but with the odd readings he was getting it does not much matter.
A narrrow band and a wide band are both oxygen sensors.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM
carguy94
Senior User
narrow band voltages are much different or the opposite of a wide band sensor. the narrow band sensor reads on a zero to 1 volt scale were as the wide band has a wide range of voltages that climb the opposite direction depending upon rich or lean condition but wide band sensors monitor the exact air fuel ratio not just rich lean based on oxygen content. they are both listed as oxygen sensors but really an oxygen sensor can be tricked an air fuel measures air fuel it does not go off one or the other it gets a voltage signal and changes it does not create it. the point was if he had an air fuel set up which is not stock this would make his reading completely different. all it is precise tuning of the fuel mixture which a typical narrow band does not have.

Quick Reply: Scan tool reads bank 2 fuel sys. N/a?