Edelbrock 300 1V Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:43 AM
jack orchard
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock 300 1V Intake Manifold

I can buy an Edelbrock Ford 300 6 1V (one barrel) intake manifold. Does anyone have experience with one of these? How would it perform compared to the stock one barrel manifold? What about adding an adapter and an Autolite 1.08 2-barrel carburetor? How would that combo compare to a Clifford or Offenhauser open plenum manifold with the same carburetor. It has smaller passages as compared to the Clifford and the Offenhauser. Would the smaller passages help the low end performance?
My 300 is stock except for a Comp 260 cam and EFI headers.
What would be a fair price?
Many thanks to all for your time.,...jack

Last edited by AbandonedBronco; 07-09-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Biblethumpncop
Junior User
Hey Jack,

I picked up an Edelbrock 1v intake a week or two ago, and installed it today. I also installed a set of EFI exhaust manifolds and installed them today. I am putting the old Autolight 1100 carb back on, but have been thinking of doing what you were talking about. Putting a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 with an adaptor. I wonder if it would be worth it?

Old exhaust in the way for now:

Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 PM
jack orchard
Tuned
Thanks for the pics. Is that a Walker 45166 y-pipe?
Please post your impressions of the intake/exhaust setup when you finish it. Thanks again, jack

Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Biblethumpncop
Junior User
Yes, the Walker 45166 Y-pipe. I will keep you updated on how it goes. If my Autolite 1100 fails, I think I'll get an adaptor and a 2bbl carb.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 AM
jack orchard
Tuned
Adapter

I believe the adapter is Trans-Dapt 2041 2-15/16". What do you think? Thanks, ...jack

Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Biblethumpncop
Junior User
I installed the Y-pipe and Smithy glass pack. I also installed the carb and drove it today. The truck pulls! It sure feels a lot more powerful! I don't think I need a 2bbl carb. The Autolite 1100 was just rebuilt by my friend last week, and this was the first time I've run it. It whistles now, and needs to be rebushed. My wife is dropping it off at a specialty carburetor shop today and it should be ready tomorrow or Fri.

I will say that the combo of that intake and EFI exhaust manifold have awoken the giant in my 67 F100. That exhaust doesn't have a tailpipe yet, so the Smithy glasspack is a little loud for me. We drove it around and we both think it sounds like a Cummins.

When I get the carb back from being rebushed, I'll take it to an exhaust shop and have a 3" tailpipe installed. That should temper the noise some- atleast from near the cab!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
In my opinion the Edelbrock is an expensive intake that gains very little. And if you want to adapt a 2V to it why bother buying an Edelbrock intake? You are money ahead just putting an adapter on the stock intake. If you are going to buy an intake get an Offenhauser C-series and add a 4V to 2V adapter and run the Autolite 2V.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Biblethumpncop
Junior User
I can definitely tell a difference in power, between the intake and exhaust upgrades I did. In another thread from a couple years ago, I saw someone contacted Edelbrock and was told the intake hasn't been made in 30 years. They claim that it would give an additional 10-15 ft lbs of torque and 8-20 hp gains. The shape of the intake adds velocity to the fuel delivered. Add the EFI exhaust manifolds and it does make a difference. If someone has numbers on the torque and hp gains added by going to that exhaust system, we can estimate the total gains in performance.

Why do it? Because I got the intake for $100 and the Offenhauser was 2.5x that price. It isn't a common upgrade and I'm quirky that way. I'm very pleased so far!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Biblethumpncop
I can definitely tell a difference in power, between the intake and exhaust upgrades I did. In another thread from a couple years ago, I saw someone contacted Edelbrock and was told the intake hasn't been made in 30 years. They claim that it would give an additional 10-15 ft lbs of torque and 8-20 hp gains. The shape of the intake adds velocity to the fuel delivered. Add the EFI exhaust manifolds and it does make a difference. If someone has numbers on the torque and hp gains added by going to that exhaust system, we can estimate the total gains in performance.

Why do it? Because I got the intake for $100 and the Offenhauser was 2.5x that price. It isn't a common upgrade and I'm quirky that way. I'm very pleased so far!
Most of your performance increase was from the exhaust manifolds.

You could have sold the Edelbrock intake and got enough to buy an Offenhauser and still have some profit.

You got a nice set up and a good deal on the Edelbrock. It's just my opinion if a person is going to buy and swap an intake why not go with the one that is going to give the best performance. And no stock 1V is enough carb for a 300. A 1V carb on a 300 is a major restriction.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 PM
bigfootsurfin
Junior User
If someone is happy, then why rain on their parade? The money is well spent. Good job and thanks for pics and the write-up!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 AM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
indeed sir. i like that its different. anyone have one that they'd be willing to part with? PM me with price, etc. please.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Guys my original reply was for Jack orchard and Biblethumpncop replied so I replied to him. The Edelbrock intake was a good upgrade when there wasn't any other choices out there. But for the money the Offenhauers are better performers.

Biblethumpncop got a good deal on the Edelbrock. I've seen them sell for as high as $400.00.

I didn't expect Biblethumpncop to pull his intake and get something something else because some moron (me ) on the internet spouts his opinions. Biblethumpncop already has his set up on and running. And I said it was a nice set up.

Most of my comments were aimed towards Jack orchard who hasn't bought an intake yet. And Jack was talking about adapting a 2V carb to the Edelbrock intake. If he wants to run a 2V the Offy C-series is a much better choice! If he wants to adapt a 2V carb to a 1V intake he's money ahead to just do it to the stock intake. I've done that in the past.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade. But I also don't want guys/gals wasting money on a intake and then be disappointed it doesn't perform better. Biblethumpncop got a great deal on the Edelbrock intake and I'm glad he's happy with it.

And I'm all about being different. I'm going to be building my own headers and hi-rise 3-2V intake.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 PM
jack orchard
Tuned
Being Different

Originally Posted by fordman75
And I'm all about being different. I'm going to be building my own headers and hi-rise 3-2V intake.
3x2 with small Autolites (1.02,etc)? Progressive or straight linkage? Either way i like it. Are you concerned about the lack of heat to the intake, or have you have that figured out? Please keep us updated on your progress. Thanks,..jack

Old 07-13-2014, 07:08 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jack orchard
3x2 with small Autolites (1.02,etc)? Progressive or straight linkage? Either way i like it. Are you concerned about the lack of heat to the intake, or have you have that figured out? Please keep us updated on your progress. Thanks,..jack

Yep 3 - 1.02 Autolite 2100's. It's going to be a synchronized linkage. I'm going to set it up like a poor man's down draft Weber set up. Each cylinder will run off it's own carb butterfly & ventrui.

I'm going to be building the headers and intake on a single common 1/2" steel mounting flange. So the intake is going to be steel. So it should retain the heat better then an aluminum one. And I'm going to be running the header tubes high just under the intake runners. I'm actually more concerned about too much heat. I'm going to run thick carb gaskets and heat shields between the carbs and intake. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep the gas from boiling in the carbs.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Biblethumpncop
Junior User
Originally Posted by jack orchard
I can buy an Edelbrock Ford 300 6 1V (one barrel) intake manifold. Does anyone have experience with one of these? How would it perform compared to the stock one barrel manifold? What about adding an adapter and an Autolite 1.08 2-barrel carburetor? How would that combo compare to a Clifford or Offenhauser open plenum manifold with the same carburetor. It has smaller passages as compared to the Clifford and the Offenhauser. Would the smaller passages help the low end performance?
My 300 is stock except for a Comp 260 cam and EFI headers.
What would be a fair price?
Many thanks to all for your time.,...jack
Jack,

I found a decent deal on an Offenhauser and carb. If I win it, I'll recoup my cost by selling the Edelbrock/Autolite 1100 combo. I'll know more when the auction ends.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock 300 1V Intake Manifold