Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise in left front

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:42 PM
jd460
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking noise in left front

92 F250 2wd. 75,000 mi. Loud creak in left front, sounds like it is in the wheel well. Does not show up when turning, just takes a pothole or good bump to show up. Can't make the noise by jumping up and down on the front bumper - suspension is pretty stiff! Noise can be very prominent at low speeds, don't hear it at higher speeds. Truck is all original in suspension dept. Noise sounds like metal on metal, like a bushing is missing or something. I can't see anything obvious looking at the bushings and shocks. Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:37 PM
jdq1986
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jd460
92 F250 2wd. 75,000 mi. Loud creak in left front, sounds like it is in the wheel well. Does not show up when turning, just takes a pothole or good bump to show up. Can't make the noise by jumping up and down on the front bumper - suspension is pretty stiff! Noise can be very prominent at low speeds, don't hear it at higher speeds. Truck is all original in suspension dept. Noise sounds like metal on metal, like a bushing is missing or something. I can't see anything obvious looking at the bushings and shocks. Any ideas?
Axle pivot bushings and their respective brackets ok?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:03 PM
jd460
Freshman User
Didn't know what an axle pivot bushing was, had to look that one up. Will see if I can check it tomorrow. The noise sounds like it's coming from a rather high point, like at the level of the parking brake pedal or just above.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:14 PM
jdq1986
Senior User
Originally Posted by jd460
Didn't know what an axle pivot bushing was, had to look that one up. Will see if I can check it tomorrow. The noise sounds like it's coming from a rather high point, like at the level of the parking brake pedal or just above.
You'll have two axle pivot bushings, one at the end of each I-beam. There will be a bolt running through the center of each one attaching it to a bracket bolted to the frame. It should all appear centered, if not the bushings may be worn out. The brackets, especially the one closer to the passenger side going to the drivers side wheel, are kind of bad about breaking. May also want to inspect your radius arm.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
jd460
Freshman User
the noise is a little worse now

So I checked the axle pivot bushings and bolts visually, they look fine. Bolts are centered, no obvious bushing deterioration and the brackets aren't broken. On Saturday I had the truck in the shop for new brakes and since then the noise seems a little more prominent, maybe they stretched things out when putting the vehicle on the lift. The shop mentioned the noise to me (of course) but I don't have the money to get them to look at it right now - the brakes were bad enough - I would have done them myself but I needed new brake lines and calipers (rusted) and rotors so I just had it done. The shop didn't offer any info on the noise, they just want me to bring it in.
The noise is definitely tied to suspension movement, the slightest bump or wheel dropping into a depression at slow speeds and the noise is evident. The noise does not appear to be steering related, i.e. there is no noise associated with turning.
It sounds like metal on metal, a loud creak as opposed to a squeak. I would have thought there would be some visual indication of the problem but so far I can't see anything wrong. I can't make the noise by bouncing the front end up and down - but it is immediately obvious if you drive a few feet (our road is gravel and bumpy).. The noise seems most evident when pulling off the street into a parking lot, when there is an abrupt change in elevation.
I'll keep looking.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Could possibly be work radius arm bushings or mounts, or the transmission x-member TSB (97-3-10).

I'd try the TSB if I were you. I did it on mine (didn't replace the hardware, but I performed the rest of the steps) and it helped a lot.

Mike

Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM
jd460
Freshman User
Thanks, I'll check out the TSB. I think the noise is coming from a higher more forward position, specifically (from the inside) it sounds like it is near the left front shock tower. Not much to see there but the spring seat and the top of the shock. I guess it could be the shock, but I would be surprised if it could generate that much noise. The shock isn't leaking or anything and the front end settles down right away after bouncing on it. If I could only duplicate the sound when I wasn't driving it would be easy to find I think.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grease everything on your front end. Most things, like tie rods for example, have a grease zerk. A friend of mine had the same symptoms and it turned out he just needed to service his front end

Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Based on couple comments you made about where it comes from and when it happens, what causes it what doesn't, sounds like you might have a failing cab support.

Hard to say for sure without actually hearing it, I just put in a cab support and to correct for what sounds like might be the same exact noise you hear.

Cab support was all there but was comprised to point it would creak when wheels hit small holes or while traversing uneven ground such as approach in and out of parking lots etc. And only did so at low speeds especially at first.

Look at the body seam front of door/rear of fender, gap wider at the bottom even if only a little? Might find it to be opened up as much as half an inch or more at the bottom, if so sure sign its body related even if the support looks whole.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 PM
jd460
Freshman User
Now that is interesting danr1, because of the similarity of symptoms. I am going to check that out further. The creak is quite loud inside the cab. It could be a body noise for sure.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:01 PM
jd460
Freshman User
Not what I was looking for

OK, I measured the top and bottom gaps as you described danr1, on both sides actually, they were equal up and down. I greased everything with a zerk fitting that I could find. Still creaking.
I opened the hood and was looking for anything that could make a noise. I noticed that my air box (where the air filter lives) was loose and leaking in unfiltered air. Great. So I found there was a missing screw and clip, and the other side was stripped out. A couple of zip ties later I had resealed my air box. Not very elegant but it works. OK, then I noticed that there was a vacuum line just hanging out in space not far from the air box. Found where that went and replugged it. None of that helped my creaking truck, but at least I fixed something today.
I forgot to mention that I'm still learning my way around this F-250, I've only had it for two weeks.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 PM
krooser
Elder User
Check your ball joints and tie rod ends… probably a ball joint.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 PM
jdq1986
Senior User
To duplicate the sound while parked put a jack under the 1-1/8" bolt behind your wheel where the radius arm attaches at the bottom. That will compress the shock and spring, mimicking hitting a bump in the road slowly. If that doesn't work put a jackstand under the frame high enough that the front driver's side wheel is off the ground (just in front of the radius arm bushing works well) so the shock and spring are fully at rest (extended) and then jack up the wheel again for full travel. Hopefully that will recreate the creaking noise and you can pinpoint its origin.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM
jd460
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jdq1986
To duplicate the sound while parked put a jack under the 1-1/8" bolt behind your wheel where the radius arm attaches at the bottom. That will compress the shock and spring, mimicking hitting a bump in the road slowly. If that doesn't work put a jackstand under the frame high enough that the front driver's side wheel is off the ground (just in front of the radius arm bushing works well) so the shock and spring are fully at rest (extended) and then jack up the wheel again for full travel. Hopefully that will recreate the creaking noise and you can pinpoint its origin.
Off to try this now. I did spend a lot of time this AM looking at the bushings in the area of the cab mount. That is where the noise seems to originate. I even drove with my door open (at low speed of course !) and could hear the noise - it sounds like it is right about where the radius arm is.
I really don't think it is rust related at all. The truck is extremely clean on the bottom - I can read the writing on the bushings in the area in question. They are not cracked at all. Here is a picture of the area:

This is the area where the noise seems to originate. It's VERY clean.

So I'm off to recreate and pinpoint (I hope) the noise.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yea cab support looks great, seriously doubt thats the problem.

I'd question that bolt in the radius arms bracket, why its not the factory rivet not so important but rather is it tight.

Hard to say as pictures not real clear it appears to have light rust around it, same for the upper rivet. Light rust showing around lug nuts/bolts etc tend to be a sign they are loose surfaces are working against one another and the bolt itself.

I'd replace that bolt (grade 8) and I'd probably replace that rivet if a closer look at it suggests it may have been compromised because of the bolt allowing for some movement once had it out.

Body mount looks good.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise in left front