Sponsored by:

KBB vs Sellers Expectations

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Cult Hero
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KBB vs Sellers Expectations

first time poster, but I have been lurking and reading for a while now.

I have a growing family that for extended road trips and getaways we are bursting at the seams in our Honda Pilot. I regularly carry surfboards and bikes on it when we travel and space is becoming an issue.

I love the Pilot but crave more room for off road adventures. Baja, Mojave Road, Titus Canyon, Cali Lost coast, Moab etc etc....

This led me first to a sports mobile and then to a cummins 2500 and now to an Excursion.

I love the space and room of the X, and the simplicity of the diesel. That said, I have been sufficiently scared away from the 6.0L and am looking exclusively at the 7.3

What I can't seem to wrap my head around is the massive discrepancy between the the KBB is and what the sellers are expecting.

I understand that the KBB is often low, but I am seeing sellers asking double.

That said, I am looking at several X's and want opinions on what a fair market value is.

FWIW here is the KBB Kelley Blue Book

Here is the first one. Great looking truck, decent mileage and looks to be decent modifications. He is asking $19,500

http://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_l...iE_600x450.jpg

01 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Second one

More substantial investment in wheels and tires, bumper and winch but higher mileage and lower cost. Still $9k higher than KBB.

2001 Ford Excursion $18,500 or best offer - 100642676 | Custom Lifted Truck Classifieds | Lifted Truck Sales

And my Honda Pilot loaded up!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Welcome to the site! Both of those Ex's look really nice, and personally I find myself pulled towards the grey one. Not sure if it is the long list of mods or that is is an Arizona truck, which most likely means rust free.

As for the KBB vrs owner pricing expectations, there are at least a few things to consider that KBB will not. That is the history of the rig, the modifications and maintenance done, and lastly the rarity/desirability factor of the truck.

I think that you will find the prices for these rigs "reasonable," but that does not mean that you should not go over them with a fine toothed comb, ask for records, run them for codes, and take it for a true test drive. Once all that has been done, then you may feel real good about the price, or have room and ammo to dicker down a bit.

Good luck on your Excursion adventure, and as for the 6.0's they can be a good platform, but trust me they are like a high-maintenance woman, great to have and be around, but they will suck your wallet dry every chance they get.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I disagree with your choice... you have so quickly thrown aside the insanely powerful 2wd 5.4 combo. This powerhouse is not only the least expensive of all but the cheapest to maintain! It's personally my favorite (well what I have sadly) for the price. Give it a thought

Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Cult Hero
New User
My criteria, are diesel, reliability and 4wd. I am flexible on pretty much everything else. Leather or cloth, mileage under 175k is fine, lift and tires are a plus, but not a deal breaker. But I do want the 7.3 and 4x4

Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm on my 3rd excursion, the first two i made thousands of dollars on when Sold/Totaled out. This is now a specialty truck that is no longer in production. Good condition, well cared for and non damaged units are becoming fewer and fewer every day. With that said people can ask crazy amounts of money for them because, well they can get it. I have seen some 7.3's priced crazy high and they sold very quickly.

All that said, there is a one owner 7.3 limited 4x4 for sale locally with 70k miles for $12,700...somebody is going to steal that soon!

Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 AM
lunatech
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all boils down to you are looking at a truck (the Ex) with an engine (7.3 diesel) which neither are being made any longer. People want that combo and the sellers can get what they want. I've only had my Ex a few months but it took me a while to find it. It's a 2002 Limited 4x4 with the 7.3. Had 286k miles and some issue when I bought it for $8700 and I thought I got a good deal. I could sell the 7.3 and part out the rest and make money on it. The 7.3 is widely sought after and is bringing a premium.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice Excursions sell for a pretty penny. PSD powered nice X's go for even more

I could sell my 2002 V-10 powered for at least $15k in my market. She only has 83k miles. But then again I'm on an island

I feel your pain though. I spent years trying to buy a PSD X. Prices were always outrageous if/when I did find one

Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
That AZ X is a little high IMO. I bought mine from the same general location for $13k with 171,xxx on it. One thing also to look at is minus out all the extras like lift, tires/wheels, and bumpers. Take that off the asking price and it will better match kbb. If that makes sense.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Cult Hero
New User
yea I agree. I hate to be the one telling them that market isn't $20k for a 13 year old truck. I do understand how it is a desirable model, but I don't see the market supporting it. Yes, you can always find a more expensive one, heck there are two going for over $35k here in SoCal, but the vast majority are lower.

KBB for excellent is $11,200 and I can see $3500 for tires, DS, wheels and lift, but that is still only about $14,500. Not sure where the other $5k comes from.

I am better off buying a stock one for $9k and putting $3k into it.

I do like it though, looks clean, but the more recent pictures I have seen from the seller revealed what I figured. It is a 13 year old truck. It has dents, dings, scratches and wear and tear. Nothing outside the ordinary and nothing I wouldn't expect, but that drops it from the excellent category.

I am leaning more towards the $12,500 to $13,000.

Am I crazy?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cult Hero
yea I agree.

Am I crazy?
Not at all!!

and be patient the right one will show up. It took me 6 months looking in a 750 miles radius to find mine.

Last edited by Az_Ray; 07-03-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cult Hero
yea I agree. I hate to be the one telling them that market isn't $20k for a 13 year old truck. I do understand how it is a desirable model, but I don't see the market supporting it. Yes, you can always find a more expensive one, heck there are two going for over $35k here in SoCal, but the vast majority are lower.

KBB for excellent is $11,200 and I can see $3500 for tires, DS, wheels and lift, but that is still only about $14,500. Not sure where the other $5k comes from.

I am better off buying a stock one for $9k and putting $3k into it.

I do like it though, looks clean, but the more recent pictures I have seen from the seller revealed what I figured. It is a 13 year old truck. It has dents, dings, scratches and wear and tear. Nothing outside the ordinary and nothing I wouldn't expect, but that drops it from the excellent category.

Am I crazy?
IDK, you might be a little low. I know as an owner I would never re-coupe all that I have put in my Ex... However, if you look at all that has been done, you are not in the $3-5,000 range but but more the $5-7,500 range or higher if you were to do it your self.

Shoot a good all spring lift can be about 4k all on its own after install, unless you are doing it all yourself. Then add wheels and tires, another 1,500 to 2k, and you are already over the 5k mark. that is not including all the other things that may have been upgraded or replaced.

I do believe there is room to negotiate, but unless there is just something you cannot live with and just have to change, everything has already been done for you.

I would take a long hard look at records for the "upgrades" make sure everything has been done right, and then see about just how much you want to try and knock them down. Who knows, maybe I am the one who is crazy

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Welcome to supply and demand. Keep looking, you'll find your perfect Ex.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Cult Hero
New User
So this one has close to 200k and looks like it did quite a bit of towing. Price is better. What are opinions?

http://www.securedcarbrokers.com/200...9/Details.aspx

Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 AM
cumminpwr11
Senior User
I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks the prices are really high for a 10+ year old truck. I am back in the market for another excursion. Hopefully I can find a diesel one I like. I am not in the mood to swap in a cummins from a V-10 again

Chris

Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

It is amazing that a similar gasser will go for 1/2 or less the cost of a 7.3. I love the departure angle on the Honda with those bikes, still room for one more! I like the looks of these:

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l Diesel, 4x4, Auto, Eddie Bauer Edition
http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/4538260961.html

Being in So Cal, you need to join us California, Southern Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums.

Quick Reply: KBB vs Sellers Expectations