1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

VegasGT's "Identity Crisis" '64 SWB 4x4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 PM
VegasGT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VegasGT's "Identity Crisis" '64 SWB 4x4 Build

Id like to start this thread off by introducing myself since Im new around here. My name is Brandon, Im a 25 year old gearhead from Kentucky. I recently acquired a new project, but before I get into that, perhaps I should get you a little background info.

First off, my family is a diehard Ford group through and through. Me personally, however, do a lot of offroading at rocky offroad parks, and eventually ended up in a Jeep at high school age. Time passed and I wheeled my Wrangler regularly, until my daughter was born and I sold it, to get back into a Jeep XJ to start building as a daily driver that is very very capable and has plenty of room for my wife and kiddo, plus a superior wheelbase to the Wrangler. Fast forward to now and here's my XJ with the wife driving:

Anyway, thats relevant because Ive been looking for a tow rig to haul this thing around on occassion, and I cant be like every normal human being. Well luckily my family has plenty of old school Fords, so meet my current project.

Probably doesnt need much explanation to the Ford gurus around here, but this old truck is a Johnny Cash song made over. Its a '64 F100 cab and doghouse, moved over to a '78 frame/drivetrain, sporting an early 80's bed. Hence the identity crisis title haha. Its a 300 I6 with 4spd bulldog.

I literally dug it out of a field with a tractor, non running, and will be bringing it back to life, with a old school/new school hybrid style theme, to match the Jeep somewhat. I will be keeping the old orange patina look but anyway. More on that later. This is good enough for tonight, hopefully Ive peaked someones interest. I will add more later on, as I will likely need some knowledgeable people to help me out. I chose this forum based on assessing the knowledge of its members. Dont let the newbie down!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fun lookin rig! The mirrors have gotta-go! You'll find all kinds of good info here and lots of advice(like losing those mirrors). You stayin with the 300?
Welcome!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 PM
VegasGT
New User
Originally Posted by rusbukt
Fun lookin rig! The mirrors have gotta-go! You'll find all kinds of good info here and lots of advice(like losing those mirrors). You stayin with the 300?
Welcome!
Ill need plenty of advice, for sure. i consider myself to have good taste in vehicles but this genre is a bit out of my experience comfort zone. What mirrors should I go to?

And yes, staying 300. I have SOME past experience with the engine, enough to know its a workhorse, though it wont get me anywhere in a hurry. Fine by me.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Neat looking old truck.

I like the looks of the little 5" round mirrors, but if you're going to be towing there are probably better choices.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:42 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Ill need plenty of advice, for sure. i consider myself to have good taste in vehicles but this genre is a bit out of my experience comfort zone. What mirrors should I go to?

And yes, staying 300. I have SOME past experience with the engine, enough to know its a workhorse, though it wont get me anywhere in a hurry. Fine by me.
The 300 is a work horse. Lots of torque and easy on the gas tank. If your rock climbing with it.? No mirrors would be my choice. Or some type of swing-away.
What's cool is with that multiple year monster you can post in multiple forums. With it being a later chassis you might get more feedback in other forums as the sheet metal is the only Slick 60's part of the truck.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 AM
VegasGT
New User
Originally Posted by shortwide
Neat looking old truck.

I like the looks of the little 5" round mirrors, but if you're going to be towing there are probably better choices.
Thanks! Its actually my grandfathers old truck, I used to haul wood with him in ol orange before could even see over the dash. He's not in the best of help these days, and thats another big push for me to dig it out. Wanted to bring it back to life so that if something happens to him Ill always have this vintage reminder.

And thanks, I like the idea of the round mirrors.

The 300 is a work horse. Lots of torque and easy on the gas tank. If your rock climbing with it.? No mirrors would be my choice. Or some type of swing-away.
What's cool is with that multiple year monster you can post in multiple forums. With it being a later chassis you might get more feedback in other forums as the sheet metal is the only Slick 60's part of the truck.
No rock climbing for this thing haha.

And funny you mention the other forums, I had a heck of a time deciding where to stick the build thread. I chose here for a few reasons. First, since this started out all '64 and was moved over to the more current frame/drivetrain, title is a '64, and AESTHETICALLY its a '64 to the average onlooker, I figured it would probably fit in a little better here. Just pretend its a restomod of sorts, just newer guts beneath the old skin haha.

The MAIN reason I chose here however is because of limited knowledge on my part to the '64 parts. Im pretty familiar the '78 end of things, motor/tranny/axles/etc. I figure questions I may have regarding those things can be posted in that era's forum.

Things regarding the '64 goods are where I may need some guidance along the way. Things like wiring, gas gauge no working, where to get some original pieces, etc.

Ill post some more photos and details after work today or as I get time. Thanks for everything so far guys!

Old 07-02-2014, 12:53 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Things regarding the '64 goods are where I may need some guidance along the way. Things like wiring, gas gauge no working, where to get some original pieces, etc.
Does the temp gauge work? If no, I would suspect the voltage regulator behind the dash.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:41 PM
VegasGT
New User
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Does the temp gauge work? If no, I would suspect the voltage regulator behind the dash.
Good to know, Ill check that out when the time comes.

Ill go ahead and add some more pics.

First here is where the truck had been sitting for the past several years. Luckily she's had plenty of family close by:

Digging it out.

Pulling to the shop.

Floorpans are good the closer you get to the trans hump but the little stepdowns are toast.

Inside for further observation.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:49 PM
VegasGT
New User
After going through the basics and getting fresh gas in the tank, I couldnt get it started (as I expected, I did just have to fight insects for it haha). Confirmed it was firing, so I poured a little gas into the carb and she roared to life til that was consumed. Fuel line going to carb was still bone dry after several attempts at this so I ordered a new mechanical fuel pump, should be here tomorrow. Also ordered a water pump after noticing play in the bearing.

Thats pretty much where Im at for now, getting it to move under its own power reliably is the first step Ill be taking, then everything else will come after that.

By the way, is anyone out there making replacement panels for where my cab is rotted? No stranger to fab or metal work, but having a piece stamped like the original would be ideal.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Yikes! That floor is daylighted fosho! Looks like you've got your work CUT OUT for you.
For myself. A good donor cab would be the way to go. I'm better at turning wrenches than fabrication.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 PM
VegasGT
New User
Yikes! That floor is daylighted fosho! Looks like you've got your work CUT OUT for you.
For myself. A good donor cab would be the way to go. I'm better at turning wrenches than fabrication.
Haha nice work with the pun. It does need a HOLE lot of work.

I can understand the logic for sure, wrench turning definitely frees up some time over what Ill be doing, but Id like to save this old cab. The drivers side isnt as bad, the photo definitely depicts the worst rust, but theres no doubt there's a lot of work to be done.

I should mention that Im not going for a show piece as much as a conversation piece. I like the character of the old weathered look and intend to keep that as far as the body is concerned, but that said I still want things to be solid of course, and all that rot has to go.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Touché.
With the floor looking like it does you might want to take a good look at your cab mounts also. I'm not sure on the 64's. But replacements are available for 65-66's as well as other patch panels.
If you haven't heard of Dennis Carpenter check him out. Be prepared for sticker shock.
Again, If a clean donor can be found that has maybe a caved in cab roof from some rock climber rolling it.? You'll have all the patch panels you need.
A few years back I had two 1960 F100's. I grafted the upper cab from the truck with the big back window and a rotted floor to the lower section of a small back window cab that had a pristine floor. I cut the cabs at the seam under the seat and at the windshield pillars.
What was I thinkin ?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM
shortwide
Elder User
That's awesome that you got the old girl fired up!

You better blow out your fuel lines with compressed air. And since you've got some floor repair to do, pull out the seat then pull out the gas tank and get all the crud out of it.

Do that (and add your new fuel pump) and your fuel system should be back in operating order.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 PM
shortwide
Elder User
If you're gonna leave it in "mean and nasty looking" mode, if it were mine, I'd ospho the rust in the floors, then rivet some sheet metal over the holes and start driving the thing.

But that's just me.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
She looks good,,,albeit a tad of rust repair in order!! Cuz you do have your work, "CUTOUT" for ya!! Glad you are bringin an ol Pig back to life!! Good luck on it!!

Quick Reply: VegasGT's "Identity Crisis" '64 SWB 4x4 Build