Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

July chat and general BS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
July chat and general BS thread

Two months in a row! You folks must be really busy, I know I have been.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Yip, I haven't worked a five day week in three weeks And I'm thinking I could really get used to this if I could get the money right. Fixing to hit the road headed for San Antonio today, then tomorrow turn around and head to LR for the weekend. The oldest went home with my sister after our family dysfunction in Wyoming two weeks ago. Now I have to go pick him up...something about mom, sister & the dog miss him.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I have been, between work and mowing and working on the mower...

Last week was a first for me, I had about 5 passes left when it came a downpour.. I said to heck with it and just blew through it.

Got some funny looks from the neighbors that drove by, thats ok though I'll be that crazy neighbor.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Hope everyone has enjoyed the beautiful weather we have been blessed with for this holiday weekend. I know I have! :-)
I set out yo-yos Thurs night and have managed to put about 10 lbs. of catfish fillets in the freezer in three nights, this was after cooking fish for four Fri night.
Have been working on cleaning up an oak tree I had to cut, was in the way of my deck project and neighbor was getting new electrical service run. Had a short window of time to put that one on the ground. I'll have plenty of seasoned firewood to start the heating season this year instead of cutting and splitting wood every other weekend like this past winter.
Maybe one of these years I'll actually have time to sit back and enjoy this deck. ;-)

Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It was almost chilly last weekend up north. I heard the weather was awesome here.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cookie88
It was almost chilly last weekend up north. I heard the weather was awesome here.
If your talking about the holiday weekend...sure was a little humid over on the Maumelle side of the metroplex. But that's just my opinion.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, random thread = random question. Anybody here good with a 6.0 and AE? I can't get mine to run a cylinder contribution (or whatever it's called) on my friend's 6.0 truck.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
Well, random thread = random question. Anybody here good with a 6.0 and AE? I can't get mine to run a cylinder contribution (or whatever it's called) on my friend's 6.0 truck.
Mine hasn't run a CB test since it's last update. Heard from a few folks that AE was having issues with the CB test not even showing all 8 cylinders on the display. I spent lots and lots of email time with their tech support trying to get it straightened out even to the point of completely restoring my computer to factory original state and still no bueno.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:35 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Nice cool day with a somewhat breeze. Too bad the weather guessers are saying 100F for this weekend.
Before the 7.3L guys shut us down...a couple of questions. Is the truck running factory tunes? And it is at idle, right? The AE won't show you anything in CB above idle. At the March GTG I couldn't run a KOER test on Tim's truck with my AE; but he's running aftermarket tunes. I haven't looked into it to great depths...but it's the only thing I could come up with why I couldn't do a KOER. I offered to check Dave's (really wanted to make sure it wasn't the AE/laptop)...but he wouldn't bite on the offer.
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Mine hasn't run a CB test since it's last update. Heard from a few folks that AE was having issues with the CB test not even showing all 8 cylinders on the display. I spent lots and lots of email time with their tech support trying to get it straightened out even to the point of completely restoring my computer to factory original state and still no bueno.
And I was wanting to update my AE so that I can "talk to" the little blue demon (Focus) if/when the day comes.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zhilton
Before the 7.3L guys shut us down...a couple of questions. Is the truck running factory tunes? And it is at idle, right? The AE won't show you anything in CB above idle. At the March GTG I couldn't run a KOER test on Tim's truck with my AE; but he's running aftermarket tunes. I haven't looked into it to great depths...but it's the only thing I could come up with why I couldn't do a KOER. I offered to check Dave's (really wanted to make sure it wasn't the AE/laptop)...but he wouldn't bite on the offer.And I was wanting to update my AE so that I can "talk to" the little blue demon (Focus) if/when the day comes.
Test was done at idle, with engine at full operating temp (AE was showing 185 or so) and the truck is bone stock with 120,000 miles on it. Not even so much as an EGR delete. It seems that my AE has trouble "talking" to any Super Duty trucks. It talks to my OBS just fine. But I have a friend with a 99 and AE won't talk to his truck if I pull codes. So I either pull codes, or run tests. Can't do them both at the same time. If I pulled codes, I had to close out of AE and restart it in order to run any tests. I tried that with this 6.0 but no dice there. Just didn't want to run the CB test on his truck. It sits there and SAYS it's doing something, but nothing happens.

The reason I ask is because he's having trouble starting it when it's cold out, but I ran a buzz test and everything came back fine and ran a glow plug test and they all tested good. Does the 6.0 use the same style injectors as the 7.3 with the o-rings prone to failure causing hard starts?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
But I have a friend with a 99 and AE won't talk to his truck if I pull codes. So I either pull codes, or run tests. Can't do them both at the same time. If I pulled codes, I had to close out of AE and restart it in order to run any tests. I tried that with this 6.0 but no dice there. Just didn't want to run the CB test on his truck. It sits there and SAYS it's doing something, but nothing happens.
Do you remember approximately when you purchased your AE? I bought mine in March 2011, and I've been able to test/scan several 6.0L and 7.3L engines (including a '99 vintage). Haven't tried anything newer than a 2006 6.0L that belongs to WhiteF250 north of here. I wonder if there is a firmware update/fix out there?
The reason I ask is because he's having trouble starting it when it's cold out, but I ran a buzz test and everything came back fine and ran a glow plug test and they all tested good. Does the 6.0 use the same style injectors as the 7.3 with the o-rings prone to failure causing hard starts?
For the sake of discussion...they're the same; since both are HUEI designs...but that's about it. The 7.3L uses a larger injector and a different style controller (IDM = 7.3L; FICM 6.0L). What is the voltage to the FICM before, during and after starting? It's possible he's got batteries that are weak. Usually if the o-rings are leaking on the 6.0L you'll get fuel in the oil...or air in the head's fuel rail. The later would be easy to spot on a CB...which I'm sure your aware of. If the buzz & glow plug test looks good and you can't get your AE to work...guess you could do a bubble test on it. Old school, but it works.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Well, another weekend gone, another sump gasket failure on my lawn mower...

Pulling the engine on this thing is really getting old, but I am getting pretty quick at it.

Any ideas on why this keeps happening? The first time I peened the surfaces, and used High Tack on the paper gasket, and it ran about 45minutes. The second time, I used grey silicone on the paper gasket and it lasted about 8 hours of runtime.
Oddly enough the gasket seems to be sucking into the crankcase as though there were excessive vacuum.

I haven't checked the pcv but its on the list this go-round.

There is quite a bit of end-play on the crank, so I am considering leaving the gasket out entirely and just using some of the Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker.
It's supposedly pretty tough, there is a guy on YouTube cursing it because he glued his intake on with it. Sounds perfect to me.

You can see on the pic the point of failure, just to the left of the oil filter.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tojoski
Well, another weekend gone, another sump gasket failure on my lawn mower...

Pulling the engine on this thing is really getting old, but I am getting pretty quick at it.

Any ideas on why this keeps happening? The first time I peened the surfaces, and used High Tack on the paper gasket, and it ran about 45minutes. The second time, I used grey silicone on the paper gasket and it lasted about 8 hours of runtime.
Oddly enough the gasket seems to be sucking into the crankcase as though there were excessive vacuum.

I haven't checked the pcv but its on the list this go-round.

There is quite a bit of end-play on the crank, so I am considering leaving the gasket out entirely and just using some of the Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker.
It's supposedly pretty tough, there is a guy on YouTube cursing it because he glued his intake on with it. Sounds perfect to me.

You can see on the pic the point of failure, just to the left of the oil filter.
Sounds like the case may be warped. Have you tried fitting them together without the gasket to see if there's a gap? I've been using the rigid setting grey silicone lately, it seems to hold up well as long as the surfaces are clean. Let it set for 24 hours before use.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
I haven't checked it for warpage, but that's on the list this time too... I'm at the point where if I could tig weld the dang block together, I would do it.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Joe, you really just need to break down and buy you one of those 72" Bad Boys...built in Batesville.

Diesel Lawn Mowers, Diesel Commercial Mowers, Zero Turn Lawn Mowers - Bad Boy Mowers

Don't worry about the price tag, it's just money.
Sounds like the case may be warped. Have you tried fitting them together without the gasket to see if there's a gap?
At least I wasn't the only one wondering the same thing. Think he's making too much torque in that mowing machine Jeff?

Quick Reply: July chat and general BS thread