6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 Ford F250 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2012 Ford F250 Navigation System

I am new to this forum and am sure there is thread already about this but anyway.

My 2012 F250 didn't come with a navigation system. I want one but I want factory. I was wondering if anyone knows if I get one off ebay or a wrecked F250 what else would I need to to install it. Would it be sort of like a plug and play type deal. Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmysb7377
I am new to this forum and am sure there is thread already about this but anyway.

My 2012 F250 didn't come with a navigation system. I want one but I want factory. I was wondering if anyone knows if I get one off ebay or a wrecked F250 what else would I need to to install it. Would it be sort of like a plug and play type deal. Thanks
look on ebay but be careful there are Chinese replicas out there that look similar but the buttons are in different places than the oem fords even though they claim to be oem i got one for my last truck as it didn't come with factory navigation either but from a US seller

Old 06-29-2014, 02:41 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think there is some 'activation' with the BCM required by the dealer.
least thats what I have seen online.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:25 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
First off, welcome. Secondly, there is nothing plug and play about adding a Factory Nav unit to your truck. It requires a good amount of equipment installation, 12vt skill and patience. Plus, you're looking at around $2000 for a complete system utilizing a used Nav unit.

I avoided one from Ebay because they come from China and you can't be sure about the warranty on them. Also, they use Windows CE as an OS and it's not the best for this solution.

Oh, and they don't make one that has Sirius Or XM compatibility.

I went a different route. Here are the specs and a review video of my setup. I would have preferred the look of an OEM Nav, however, this one has exceeded my profoundly expectations and the interface has a very "factory like" feel to it.

I just installed (about 2 weeks ago) a Pioneer AVIC x850BT in my 2011. I LOVE it. I did the install myself and here is what I needed: (I believe the non-Nav 2013-15 F250s have the exact same dash and radios as my truck)

1. Pioneer X850BT Nav unit: Pioneer 6.1" BuiltIn GPS CDDVD BuiltIn Bluetooth InDash Receiver AVIC-X850BT - Best Buy
2. PAC MS-FRD1. This allows you to retain SYNC as well as plug and play connections for everything, including your factory Subwoofer (if you have one):
Amazon.com: PAC MS-FRD1 Radio Replacement Interface for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury with SYNC Retention: Car Electronics Amazon.com: PAC MS-FRD1 Radio Replacement Interface for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury with SYNC Retention: Car Electronics

3. Metra Dash Kit (you will need to modify it slightly with a razor knife, only to remove the two tabs on the back that aren't used.):
Amazon.com : Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2004-up Ford Vehicles -Black : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit for Select 2004-up Ford Vehicles -Black : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics

4. Sirius Adapter SVX200v1. This allows you to use the Sirius feature of the headunit. The PAC module above retains Sirius also, but from a little screen you need to mount.
Amazon.com : SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers : Vehicle Satellite Radio Equipment : Car Electronics Amazon.com : SiriusXM SXV200v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner for SiriusXM-Ready Car Stereo Receivers : Vehicle Satellite Radio Equipment : Car Electronics

5. Metra Axxess. This retains full steering wheel controls.
Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics

6. Pyle Cameras (The picture isn't what is actually being sold). I purchased 2 of these. One above my rear License plate and the other on the front. I added the one in the rear, because the Pioneer Nav actually allows you to watch the rear camera while driving (it splits the screen between the camera and the nav). The front one is connected to one of my 2 AV inputs. It's mounted to my brush guards top bar and points down towards my winch. So I can see spacing infront of my truck.
Pyle camera from Amazon Pyle camera from Amazon

Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my second 2011+ truck and 3rd ford nav system.... see our vehicles in the signature below...

I would caution you to NOT do a ford system as I've had nothing but issues with them...

incorrect directions, unable to find poi's with the latest maps, unable to find addresses in a timely manner... shows us off route by upwards of 1/2 mile, etc... etc...

Why should you pay good money for something that WILL disappoint ?!?

get a garmin

Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
On my second 2011+ truck and 3rd ford nav system.... see our vehicles in the signature below...

I would caution you to NOT do a ford system as I've had nothing but issues with them...

incorrect directions, unable to find poi's with the latest maps, unable to find addresses in a timely manner... shows us off route by upwards of 1/2 mile, etc... etc...

get a garmin
good points. the used nag i got for my 09 f250 and the one i have in my 2012 350 both have the same software...

Old 07-01-2014, 05:08 PM
jimmysb7377
New User
Can you still use the radio buttons on the steering wheel?

Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Can you still use the radio buttons on the steering wheel?
with the adapter module yes.
5. Metra Axxess. This retains full steering wheel controls

Old 07-02-2014, 11:27 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Good setup

I used a Kenwood nav radio and Mistro. I retained SYNC and all functions. I have Garmin navigation and better sound then the factory setup. I also saved a ton of money over the factory system. I cut no wires to install the system, the factory harness has no cut wires. Talk to Crutchfield about your setup.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Wizness
Senior User
It is pretty much plug and play for the most part. I installed it in mine.

Here's my thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-of-pics.html

Old 07-02-2014, 03:28 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Wizness
It is pretty much plug and play for the most part. I installed it in mine.

Here's my thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-of-pics.html
yes, you mentioned getting the seller to program it for your VIN.. that was the step I mentioned before..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
yes, you mentioned getting the seller to program it for your VIN.. that was the step I mentioned before..

The ones on ebay and almost all the other sellers will program it for you before they ship it. No big deal at all. Some of the dealers around here are idiots and I wouldn't trust them to program anything.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 AM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be willing to sell mine. I tried to PM you, but you don't have them enabled.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ngng
I'd be willing to sell mine. I tried to PM you, but you don't have them enabled.
he is new, needs 10 posts to enable PMs.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr

get a garmin

That's strange. On my second Ford nav unit and I haven't had any issues with either the one on my 150 or on the 350 in the siggy.

However, having said that, incorrect directions, unable to find POIs, unable to find addresses, that depends on what they (Ford) has a allowed for coverage in the area that you are going to be in.

I have had those issues with Alicia's Garmin and I can easily see those being issues, but those can be issues with any nav system that is based off of some type of stored map medium, rather then getting that info from the internet or directly from the satellites. You have you remember that all the vehicle companies and other nav producing companies also want to get your money through updates. Can't do that if they have everything up to date. Some areas don't go through a whole lot of change, so not many people are going to update unless they do a lot of traveling to areas that do.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ford F250 Navigation System