1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How do you measure the size of a steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you measure the size of a steering wheel?

I want to buy a larger steering wheel, so that I can see my gauges on my 56.
At present the rim of the wheel obscures the speedo particularly. if I adjust the steering drop out a little under the dash, it will drop it a little, perhaps an inch and I may be able to see my speedo, but not my indicator lights.

Silly question no doubt, but do you measure the inside diameter of the wheel or the outside diameter? My current wheel is approximately 14 inch / 380 mm outside and approx 12 inch or 300 mm or so.

A big part of the problem I believe is that the steering column is too short and puts the wheel too close to the dash. I am looking for a deep dish wheel, in a larger diameter which I think will allow me to see the dash gauge panel properly. Something like an early Mustang style of thing, retro look and deep dish. Or a deep dish sports wheel perhaps though I like the old style wheel.

I tried to post several pictures here and with the new system I can't do it.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
AFAIK, you measure the center of the rim to center of rim, the center steel core rod size. Most of the "import tuner" replacement wheels (the largest market) are 13". I am using a 15" Grant med dish banjo style wheel in my 56 with tilt wheel. What column are you using? There are different thickness wheel adapters available for aftermarket columns/wheels.
Here you go: http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com...FXNo7AodGhAA3g

Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Ax, thanks for your comments I will look into that link when I get the chance. I believe it is the original column though it may even be Chev. It has a Nova front end, whether the box was changed I don't know. It has power steering and the small wheel is fine other than I can't see my dash panel. It gives me plenty of room for my gut.

John, thanks for putting that in, I can't work out how to do it now, I also like another wheel a lot but it is flat and won't help me with this.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
The OEM column would be easily recognized vs a later model: smooth simple tube column cover with smallish simple bell shaped area under wheel, only the custom cab had built in turn signal switch, all others used dealer installed aftermarket switch clamped to the column. The steering wheel attached to the shaft with a nut on the end of the splined shaft. Unless the ram assist PS that has a hydraulic cylinder attached to the tie rod, the OEM column needs to be modified. It would be sawn off at the bottom, a centering bushing added at the end of the column tube and some sort of fabbed lower column mount would have been used to hold the column at the floor. Cutting the steering column shaft also cuts the horn wire, so a separate horn button switch would have been added. All later model columns would have built in turn signals and shifter, a larger tapered bell, horn button in the steering wheel.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
The OEM column would be easily recognized vs a later model: smooth simple tube column cover with smallish simple bell shaped area under wheel, only the custom cab had built in turn signal switch, all others used dealer installed aftermarket switch clamped to the column. The steering wheel attached to the shaft with a nut on the end of the splined shaft. Unless the ram assist PS that has a hydraulic cylinder attached to the tie rod, the OEM column needs to be modified. It would be sawn off at the bottom, a centering bushing added at the end of the column tube and some sort of fabbed lower column mount would have been used to hold the column at the floor. Cutting the steering column shaft also cuts the horn wire, so a separate horn button switch would have been added. All later model columns would have built in turn signals and shifter, a larger tapered bell, horn button in the steering wheel.
Thanks for that explanation, I have included a picture of my column. From what I understand, it will be the original column, auto shift. It has the indicator unit clamped to the side. Shame he cut it too short. I am hoping a larger diameter, deep dish wheel will allow me to see the gauges clearly.

Just had to add this seeing that I have partly learnt the new system. I like this wheel, shame it is not deep dish.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Yes, that is the OEM column.. I see why you have a problem: The column has an adapter added for the wheel and the wheel is small and nearly flat, which puts the rim directly in your line of sight for the gauges, There are a couple things you could do: 1) a larger steering wheel, 16" would be my recommendation with a 2 1/2 -3" deep dish to look between the spokes. 2) current wheel with a longer column drop at the dash to lower the wheel so you can look over the rim at the gauges. 3) A late model or aftermarket tilt column so you can adjust the wheel height and angle.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:03 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Yes, that is the OEM column.. I see why you have a problem: The column has an adapter added for the wheel and the wheel is small and nearly flat, which puts the rim directly in your line of sight for the gauges, There are a couple things you could do: 1) a larger steering wheel, 16" would be my recommendation with a 2 1/2 -3" deep dish to look between the spokes. 2) current wheel with a longer column drop at the dash to lower the wheel so you can look over the rim at the gauges. 3) A late model or aftermarket tilt column so you can adjust the wheel height and angle.
Thanks for your comments. With regards to :-
1 That is my thought, only wheel I can think of is an original wheel, say early Mustang, Falcon etc, bigger but not huge, and I like the look of some of the older wheels.

Edit, I just got an old beat up Mustang wheel and sat it on top of my current wheel. It lets me see the dash great, but is bigger than needed and I would be flat out sitting in the cab with it sticking into my gut. How do blokes get on with the original big wheels?

2. I have adjusted the column drop a little and it raised the column about an inch or so. Dash was obscured before and after. I think I would have to drop it a lot to clear the bottom part of the gauge panel, and the steering wheel may start to be in my road getting in and out and just sitting in the cab.

3.I would like to fit a tilt column. I would have to import one from USA, though I guess , for the left hand drive, or perhaps find one here, removed when an imported car was converted to right hand drive. First way expensive, second way I'd have to be lucky probably.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Ax, an amendment to my previous description of my column, the indicator stalk actually is mounted via a bolt?, up under the bottom of the belled cover at the top of the column, does that make it from a custom cab or a modification was done to mount it that way perhaps?

Drivers door has no lock.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Aus56
Elder User
A further question, though maybe I should start a new thread for this, is there a or any modern wheel that would fit onto the original column without an adaptor boss to mount it, that is using the original splines if that is the case.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:06 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I have never seen a modern wheel, stock or aftermarket that mounted via the stock spline and nut.
Custom cab column would have built in internal turn signal switch. do you meant the shift position indicator? I've never seen an original automatic shift column in person but I'd suspect that was the factory mounting. Custom cab would have had 2 door locks, Custom Cab emblems on doors, inside arm rests, 2 sun visors, stainless insert in windshield rubber.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Hell_Fish
Senior User
I would suggest removing the wheel and adapter and counting the spline. It could be possible the the PO swapped out the shaft with a later model shaft for more options.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Thanks again fellas. It is not a custom cab, no, but I wonder if the column may be because the indicator lever is fitted under the bell type cover at the top of the column, not clamped on, as I was thinking from memory.

Ax, you were right about the 16" wheel, after measuring what would allow me to see the gauges, that is right, 15" may just be enough, but there seems to be little room for my gut, don't know how blokes with the big original wheel get on.

I worry if I put a shorter drop in, it may end up like a bus steering wheel, getting quite flat.