Sponsored by:

Rear axle hub seal questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Runamuck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle hub seal questions

Let me start by saying that I am not a mechanic and I do not pretend to be one. Please forgive me if my questions appear novice or stupid.

I have a 2001 Ex 2 wheel drive with the 7.3L diesel. I had the rear axle hub seals replaced about 2 years because the driver's side seal was leaking grease. The mechanic used parts from the Ford Dealership when they were replaced and everything seemed to be going well.

Fast forward to today........

My tire shop removed my rear driver's side rims to rotate the tires and it appears that the same seal is slinging grease again. Now I may not be a mechanic but it seems to me that the seals should last longer than 2 years before they have problems again.

Can someone suggest what may be happening to cause this or maybe suggest a better brand of seals which will last longer? I understand that the Ex is a big truck and needs extra work but when I replace things I want to make sure they are upgraded and last longer than the original or at least longer than two years. Is there anything else that I should have the mechanic do to the Ex while he is doing this work that will improve the Ex? Keeping in mind that unfortunately money IS a factor so I can not write a blank check.

I am also having to replace the upper and lower ball joints on the Ex. Any suggestions as to what upgrades I should do while everything is apart on the front end? I already have the Rancho RS9000XL shocks all around and am happy with those.

I have been considering doing the V/B spring upgrade for some time and am also wondering if now would be the time to do the upgrade since the front and rear are having work done on them anyway.

Please be gentle with your responses. LOL I already feel stupid having to ask these questions but I have not found a better place to get solid advice than on here. I am amazed at what you guys can do and the mods you guys are able to do with your Exs!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I would check the breather and tube for restrictions.

After that I would check the area where the seal goes(axle side) for severe pitting if this is the case install the new seal with a bead of silicone to help seal the pits.

If it is super bad there are company's that turn down build up and re-machine it to spec. I have never seen this needed on a floating axle set up in a smaller truck, but in lots of van trailers and semi tractors at work. Van trailers seem the worst since they do a lot of sitting.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Also if your a 2 wheel drive I don't think it has front leafs to use the v code front I think they are coil sprung but I'm not a 2 wheel owner or never been under one to confirm that for sure

Old 06-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Runamuck
I have been considering doing the V/B spring upgrade for some time...
You can't do the V codes because as Superdave posted, you have a two-wheel drive Excursion which has coil springs. V codes are leaf springs.

Stewart

Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The new ford seals should have came with new wear sleeves that cover the existing axle. There is only a few ways for a new seal to leak.

Like mentioned the vent tube can be plugged up which isn't to common but does happen.

Another way for a seal to leak that soon is with a dragging brake, the heat can warp/melt the seal causing a leak.

One of the last ways it can leak is a dirty/improper installation of the seal. With the new "improved" seals ford seems to come out with every few months for these axles there are different installation methods which each one.

Either way if it is leaking it needs to be fixed. First check the rear axle vent tube and make sure it is clear. From there have the seal replaced and not by just any Joe.

If you post your location we may be able to point you to someone close to you that can do the job up right.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Since there is a wear ring the one portion oft statement will not apply. Are they on there from day one or are they just with new seals ?