Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 AM
New User

Yowie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Newbie from outback SA

G'day everyone

I have just joined having recently purchased a Brazilian built 2005 F250 crew cab, I absolutely love it!

I have only had it for a month but I have already crossed the Simpson with her. an excellent trip that I would recommend to anyone (as long as you can cope with the scratches)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Senior User

Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowie View Post

G'day everyone

I have just joined having recently purchased a Brazilian built 2005 F250 crew cab, I absolutely love it!

I have only had it for a month but I have already crossed the Simpson with her. an excellent trip that I would recommend to anyone (as long as you can cope with the scratches)
G'day mate, welcome to the forum.
Deep tranny pan. Bypass oil, FM 100 fuel, tranny fluid & power steering fluid filters.
W-R glow plug relay. LP oil press, EGT, tranny temp & boost gauges.
RR rear diff cover, aFe front diff cover, Warn Premium hubs, 315/75 R16 Coopers.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
As Brian said, welcome!

You will have to share some pics of you crossing the Simpson! I'm hoping to do that trip next year.
Sounds like I might want to get some of that clear 3M coating to cover the truck before going tho!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm also interested in crossing the Simpson! Using my Brazilian 2005 crew cab as the support vehicle for some nutter that want to race his bicycle across it in the Simpson Desert Cycle Challenge. BTW, that nutter is me. I've got the vehicle & the bike, & the legs hopefully!
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 AM
New User

Click the image to open in full size.

I would defiantly recommend the 3M clear coat, my poor Effie looks very un loved at the moment, I have bought a polisher and I will see if I can get rid of the scratches. that said I'm keen to do it again.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks amazing!

I'll have to do the airbox and snorkel mod before I go.

No problems with flat tyres then?
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Senior User

Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Aussie BrianB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great photos.
What snorkle and airbox are you using and what
make is the spare tyre carrier?
I am looking to fit these items to my truck.
Deep tranny pan. Bypass oil, FM 100 fuel, tranny fluid & power steering fluid filters.
RR rear diff cover, aFe front diff cover, Warn Premium hubs, 315/75 R16 Coopers.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
Great photos - thanks! That thumping 5 poster bar obviously scared skippy away!
Really well setup truck.

The snorkel looks to be Ford's unit, which will plug up to the standard airbox... decent enough snorkel, but the air passage where it goes thru the fender/wing can be a bit restrictive (and can trip the air filter minder), which can limit power if you are tuned. This can be easily fixed with a bit of rubber flex intake hose if you are a bit mechanically inclined.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Senior User

Patchy 73 has a good reputation on FTE.Patchy 73 has a good reputation on FTE.
Great Photos
My truck has been across the Simpson, by the previous owner
So I got all the spares and a long range tank when I bought itg
Can you give us an idea how much diesel you used for the crossing
The snorkel looks like a TJM

Cheers,
Patchy
Old 06-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
agreed. a very nice looking rig.
we might have to do a FTE Simpsons crossing since all want to do it. ??
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Internet Brands

Ha, good idea Brian. Maybe we can all setup camp, and drink some beers while we wait for Simon to pedal his way in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy 73 View Post
Great Photos
My truck has been across the Simpson, by the previous owner
So I got all the spares and a long range tank when I bought itg
Can you give us an idea how much diesel you used for the crossing
The snorkel looks like a TJM

Cheers,
Patchy
Yeah, think you are right. The Ford ones were just TJM with the Ford logo on it, I think anyway.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
sounds good. we can throw the empties at em
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 AM
New User

the snorkel is the ford one and I am running the standard air box with a K&N hi flow filter. An aftermarket air box is on the shopping list tho. I had issues with fluid coming out of the breather on the power steering bottle and getting sucked thru the joins on my air box and drowning the cardboard filters making it hard for the truck to breath. If you plan to head up on these corrugated roads I recommend you leave the power steering fluid a little low and seal all the joins on your air box.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM
New User

patchy, the. Truck used 157L from finke to birdsville 705km 22.27L/100Km (with an oily air filter) leaving me about 90L spare so I would have no worries going from Oodnadatta to Birdsville without topping up

Brian It is a Kaymar wheel carier and I would recommend it. It. Is a verry solid strong unit with the tow bar built into it.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowie View Post
Brian It is a Kaymar wheel carier and I would recommend it. It. Is a verry solid strong unit with the tow bar built into it.
Thanks mate, Iam familiar with the Kaymar stuff but did not know
they made products for F trucks.

What airbox are you considering fitting? I am looking for one that
can be made water tight with a snorkel.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM