1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How much horsepower does a stock 7.3L have???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
One time isn't bad....it the multiple times that wears on a guy I bet.
That was poor BWST... I was the loose injector bolt guy.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
Of course, there's always granite. I don't think I could wear through that no matter what was on my hands.
The granite would last forever, but your hands would be dry, cracked and bleeding after a few hrs of that stone sucking the moisture out of your skin. Personally, I prefer the one in my Lariat more than the one in my XL. The rubber gets kinda sticky and no matter how much you clean it, it feels gross. I think is be finding a nice cover if I was in the market.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:40 AM
bobiker
Junior User
I'm looking around online this morning for ODB II scan tools and I came across a forum. That stated the f350 IS NOT ODB II compatable. Does the same go for the F250?? I got a 1999.5 F250.

I was looking at this ScanGauge II - Scan Gauge OBD II Scanner - OBD2 Scan Gauge

or

Amazon.com: ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth/OBD-II Scan Tool Interface: Automotive Amazon.com: ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth/OBD-II Scan Tool Interface: Automotive

Old 07-05-2014, 11:55 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
OK........ Remember that commercial... It's on the internet it has to be true..... I'll let you in on a little secret, that's a lie.

I'll let someone else explain more....

Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM
bobiker
Junior User
I wasn't sure I'm learning as I go the only way to learn.

After looking around some more I want some thing that runs off my laptop so I'm think AutoEnginuity. It does everything and more then I need you never know that your going to need.

Here is one on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AutoEnginuity-OBDII-OBD2-Windows-Scan-Tool-Scanner-USB-/301229697688?hash=item4622b06a98&item=301229697688&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr .

I know nothing about what is supposed to come with these there website doesn't show( AutoEnginuity) I would imagine a disk. Or even if this thing is old. It says refurbished.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:31 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Buy AE from clay so you know you get what you need

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM
caedo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bobiker
I'm looking around online this morning for ODB II scan tools and I came across a forum. That stated the f350 IS NOT ODB II compatable. Does the same go for the F250?? I got a 1999.5 F250.
Compatible is the wrong word, compliant is the word ya wanna use.

The 7.3L PSD is OBD II compatible, but it is not OBD II compliant.

Stewart

Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM
bobiker
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Compatible is the wrong word, compliant is the word ya wanna use.

The 7.3L PSD is OBD II compatible, but it is not OBD II compliant.

Stewart
Mi kOmphuters sphell chieck woodn't laist yt.

Thanks for the correction teacher Stewart.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Mi kOmphuters sphell chieck woodn't laist yt.

Thanks for the correction teacher Stewart.
Sorry, I believe I failed in communicating properly, based on your response.

You didn't misspell the word. Our trucks are OBD II compatible. You can hook up any OBD II scan tool/reader/gauge to the OBD II port because it is compatible. The tool may not read everything unless it's a higher-end scan tool or gauge though.

However, even though our 7.3's have OBD II ports, and they are compatible with OBD II tools, they are not OBD II compliant. What that means is, because our diesel rigs aren't OBD II compliant, they don't have any emission standards they have to meet, PCM wise.

Stewart

Side note: This is how I explain the difference, based on my experience and what I've read, and how others have explained it. This is not based on any direct fact that I can point you to on the 'net.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 AM
bobiker
Junior User
I follow ya.

I just thought OBD II was just the style of port it was to hook up to the PCM.

Emissions are based on were you live, on how much you have to meet???

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, on either.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
I just thought OBD II was just the style of port it was to hook up to the PCM.

Emissions are based on were you live, on how much you have to meet???

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, on either.

Emissions are not only based on where we live (or where truck was first sold), they are also based on time (when truck was first sold) and engine (what truck was first sold with). However, within any given year of truck, the location of wiring, data port, and PCM are more or less the same. In this case, the OBD-I trucks use the same PCM, J1850 serial data communication link, J1962 Data Link Connector, and PCM software as the corresponding OBD-II trucks.

If a truck is not required to comply with OBD-II requirements, it utilizes an OBD-I system. OBD-I systems are used on all over 8,500 lbs. GVWR Federal truck calibrations. California OBD-II applies to all diesel engine vehicles up to 14,000 lbs. GVWR starting in the 1997 MY.

"Green States" are states in the Northeast that chose to adopt California emission regulations, starting in the 1998 MY. By 1999, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont and Maine were Green States. Massachusetts and Maine received California Certified vehicles for passenger cars and light trucks up to 14,000 lbs. GVWR. However, in 1999, New York and Vermont received California Certified vehicles for passenger cars and light trucks only up to 6,000 lbs. GVWR.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Emissions are not only based on where we live (or where truck was first sold), they are also based on time (when truck was first sold) and engine (what truck was first sold with). However, within any given year of truck, the location of wiring, data port, and PCM are more or less the same. In this case, the OBD-I trucks use the same PCM, J1850 serial data communication link, J1962 Data Link Connector, and PCM software as the corresponding OBD-II trucks.

If a truck is not required to comply with OBD-II requirements, it utilizes an OBD-I system. OBD-I systems are used on all over 8,500 lbs. GVWR Federal truck calibrations. California OBD-II applies to all diesel engine vehicles up to 14,000 lbs. GVWR starting in the 1997 MY.

"Green States" are states in the Northeast that chose to adopt California emission regulations, starting in the 1998 MY. By 1999, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont and Maine were Green States. Massachusetts and Maine received California Certified vehicles for passenger cars and light trucks up to 14,000 lbs. GVWR. However, in 1999, New York and Vermont received California Certified vehicles for passenger cars and light trucks only up to 6,000 lbs. GVWR.
Interesting stuff; and not that I would ever question the veracity of it but I do have one question.....

If MA adopted the CA laws and received CA emissions from 1998 MY fwd then wouldn't my MA sold (always registered in Ma even with Prev owners) 2001 have a GPCM vs. the GPR? My buddies 7.3L Excursion (since sold) was a NH and did have the GPCM on a 2000 I believe.

Or could they have the CA emissions with a GPR? Or of course less likely, but possible someone could have swapped the GPCM for GPR in my rig.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
The resources (Ford's PCED) I relied upon to answer bobiker's question covered a broader scale pertaining to all trucks, gasoline and diesel. Since bobiker has and was referring to a 1999 model year, the trick was making sure to reference information only relevant in that model year, as the laws and various state's adoption have changed in the decade and a half of time since.

As for the presence or lack thereof of a glow plug control module in your MA truck, it has always been my understanding that those modules were on all Excursions and only California 7.3L trucks, and not on 49 state trucks, regardless of what may seem like conflicting information in the PCED summary data above. The specific GPCM component diagnostics refers only to Excursions and California emissions calibrations.

Still, "California" has become short hand in vehicle parlance for advanced emissions systems in general, and some border states to California, as well as several states on the east coast, tend to have "California" emissions.

In your specific case, if your truck originally came with a GPCM, and a previous owner removed it, then your PCM would set any number of DTC's between P0671 - P0678.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 PM
River19
Elder User
Cool.....always interesting to hear about this stuff.....at least I find it interesting and you always bring the knowledge, which is a great asset.

Thanks

Quick Reply: How much horsepower does a stock 7.3L have???