1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Self Reliance on the Road... What do you bring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
Some cash, a box of condoms, the phone number of a good lawyer, and a bottle of Jim Beam.
Ah... the Buck$Zooka-in-the-back gambit.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I carry a CPS and a deck of cards.

(AAA and Visa)

Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmatthews

I do carry a few tools in my travel trailer.
I particularity like the leaf rake.

Never leave home without one myself.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
I carry a CPS and a deck of cards.

(AAA and Visa)
Amen to that. Skip all the rest of that crap. Can't be afraid to leave home.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well it's a 7.3, not a 2 stroke Detroit, after all
I only carry 7 gallons of Delo 100 in my bulk-oiler for the 8V92...never had to add any on my last trip (2600 miles).

Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper01
Amen to that. Skip all the rest of that crap. Can't be afraid to leave home.
...for those that spend more time near home. I spend the bulk of my time far from home. It's not a fear thing, it's a Boy Scout thing.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
...for those that spend more time near home. I spend the bulk of my time far from home. It's not a fear thing, it's a Boy Scout thing.
Justify it however you please....

I prefer to not own something that I have to bring that much crap to support it.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM
clux
Post Fiend
I try to do my maintenance at home so I don't have to do it on the road. I carry basic hand tools and maybe a fuel filter and of course a cps.
What I don't carry is typically anything that is available at a gas station or a wal-mart.

I mean, a gas can, really? What a waste of space. My pickup came with a 20+ gallon one installed at the factory, with a gauge to tell me the status of fuel in it. Now I can see how your fuel range could be significantly decreased from hauling all that crap around, but jeez.............if you feel the need to be so prepared that you're hauling around everything including the kitchen sink, but forget to fill up, you got bigger problems.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
That's no way to travel guys.
Amen to that! Couldn't have said it better myself!

The only way to travel is with a privately owned Gulfstream 5, piloted by a freshly retired Naval Officer with over 15,000 hours and 3,000 carrier landings under his wings, and a private limo waiting on the tarmac at every landing.

However, in this life, I'm working with a 15 year old truck that will be 35 years old before it can retire. Using a deck of cards means gambling... with the stakes being big bills from random repair shops and towing companies. And more importantly to me, it means abdicating the first two words of the title to this thread: Self Reliance.

All the time we read these horror stories of trips gone awry... people stuck in unknown towns for several days waiting on parts and service. Just recently a guy posted about his $2,500.00 towing bill to get him and his trailer back home.

One cannot prepare for every eventuality, but there is enough history behind us on these trucks to know that some things are more likely to fail than others. And we know that some seemingly catastrophic failures are very simple and easy to fix. So the nexus is, what are the highest probability failures that are the simplest and easiest to fix? I want to make sure I have those parts and the tools to change them with me.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Boy scouts only take what they need with them; not excessive equipment to start Shanty Town.
What indication did I or anyone else give that suggests we stay near home?
You have just as much chance of a ujoint breaking as all that other stuff, sans the CPS. Are you going bring a spare truck with you?
For the record I had a nice 7.3 truck. I let people convince me I need a bedful of spare parts and one day I realized I let people make me scared to go anywhere without all this stuff. So I got rid of all the spares.
In my new truck, I now carry a very basic set of tools in a case, a tow strap, and my ball mounts in the bed. Yes a 7.3 truck should have a CPS, although those dont go out as often as some will over-exaggerate. I carry a credit card and towing through USAA (cheaper than AAA). I will never let anyone make me so worried to travel that I need all that crap. If it breaks down, so be it. I will get home eventually.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 AM
clux
Post Fiend
A real boy scout knows that if you have a spare gallon of oil in your 7.3, you also have a gallon of emergency fuel, an emergency gallon fuel container, and with his boyscout knife to cut the bottom out, an emergency disposable funnel, so he doesn't need to carry every single one of those things. Otherwise, his backpack would weigh 900 pounds.

OTOH, a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher are the two things that you'll really wish you had, if you don't and really need them. All other emergencies are minor IMO.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At some point, preparedness crosses the line and becomes paranoia.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57

Amen to that! Couldn't have said it better myself!

The only way to travel is with a privately owned Gulfstream 5, piloted by a freshly retired Naval Officer with over 15,000 hours and 3,000 carrier landings under his wings, and a private limo waiting on the tarmac at every landing.

However, in this life, I'm working with a 15 year old truck that will be 35 years old before it can retire. Using a deck of cards means gambling... with the stakes being big bills from random repair shops and towing companies. And more importantly to me, it means abdicating the first two words of the title to this thread: Self Reliance.

All the time we read these horror stories of trips gone awry... people stuck in unknown towns for several days waiting on parts and service. Just recently a guy posted about his $2,500.00 towing bill to get him and his trailer back home.

One cannot prepare for every eventuality, but there is enough history behind us on these trucks to know that some things are more likely to fail than others. And we know that some seemingly catastrophic failures are very simple and easy to fix. So the nexus is, what are the highest probability failures that are the simplest and easiest to fix? I want to make sure I have those parts and the tools to change them with me.
Where is this supposed tow bill you are talking about?

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
At some point, preparedness crosses the line and becomes paranoia.
Perfectly stated.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:13 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with you guys this is hands down overkill BUT lets answer the man's question without judging and let him decide on what he wants to do with the information.

Y2K... I have an IPR, it's yours just pm me an address. It's used, I got it from another brother and I have no use for it now.

Quick Reply: Self Reliance on the Road... What do you bring?