1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Tracing Oil Leak.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 PM
duggyb
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracing Oil Leak.....

Well my truck has had a oil leak since iI bought it, would always leave about the size of a quarter on the ground wherever it sat, nothing noticable and i dont drive it often.

A week ago though i went to pickup a trailer and noticed it was leaking bad and sprayed all over the unerside of the truck and onto the front of the trailer.

Today i used some engine degreaser and cleaned the bottom of the motor up good.

Took it for 3 laps around the block and came back to these pics.

I thought maybe it was the big Plug on drivers side head that are known to leak but i cleaned it off as well and doesnt appaear to be any oil.

The oil ends up on the transmission inspection plate or the bottom of the oil pan

Appears to be coming from Valley area but i cleaned out valley and i cant see it coming from front of Pedestal is it possible for it to leak off the BACK of the pedestal and down the motor? thats kind of the area its coming from. Back side of Drivers side head/valley area.

any help would be great, i got to tow 16 hour round trip in a few weeks and need this fixed!!

In this last pic you can see when laying under the truck its coming from the RIGHT side of that big plug in the back side of Drivers Head so Drivers side of the valley.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I would guess its your turbo pedestal orings. If its leaking that bad you should be able to see it running if you have it somewhat cleaned up. Might take a mirror and flashlight to see it down there.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 PM
duggyb
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I would guess its your turbo pedestal orings. If its leaking that bad you should be able to see it running if you have it somewhat cleaned up. Might take a mirror and flashlight to see it down there.
hmm i dont have a mirror but ill have to get one and look back there. Pedestal is my thoughts as well i just was not sure if it was able to run down the back of the motor without ever running into the valley.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM
duggyb
More Turbo
OK i finally got around to pulling the turbo tonight, def full of oil all over the pedestal and such, as is the rest of the engine bay haha.

just wondering how do i tell if i need to rebuild the EBPV as well? or just do the 4 o rings?

pretty much EVERYTHING is covered in oil caked on oil so i cant really tell where was leaking the worst or what.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by duggyb
OK i finally got around to pulling the turbo tonight, def full of oil all over the pedestal and such, as is the rest of the engine bay haha. just wondering how do i tell if i need to rebuild the EBPV as well? or just do the 4 o rings? pretty much EVERYTHING is covered in oil caked on oil so i cant really tell where was leaking the worst or what.
You could just do the delete pedestal and have better airflow and not have to worry about the valve ever again.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:16 AM
duggyb
More Turbo
Originally Posted by BBslider001
You could just do the delete pedestal and have better airflow and not have to worry about the valve ever again.

Forgot to mention I don't want to gut the EBPV as I use it for an exhaust brake when I am towing in the mountains.

I got a buddy pricing me out a new pedestal with EBPV in it as he said most times guys try to rebuild they still leak.

If his pedestal is too expensive I will just order the rebuild kit from RiffRaff

Thanks

Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 AM
91 Dually
Elder User

The ebpv plunger leaked on my truck. Made a real mess. I gutted it. no more problem.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:03 AM
duggyb
More Turbo
well i gutted and plugged the EBPV put on all new o rings. cleaned everything up and im still leaking!

HELP HELP ASAP i leave Thursday for a hefty road trip.

i pulled off the inspection cover and it looks to be coming from the rear main/back of the oil pan. the valley is still dry from wen i cleaned it out.

any help?

Thanks
Dustin

Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Robbieo11
Junior User
Hpop line on drivers side or maybe valve cover gasket

Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 AM
duggyb
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Robbieo11
Hpop line on drivers side or maybe valve cover gasket
valve covers were just done not to long ago along with injector o rings and the like for electrical in there.

where is this hpop line?

i cleaned it all up and took it for another spin with the inspection cover off. although its def had previous oil leaks from behind the pedestal and other places i don't think that is my main source right now.

valley is dry at the back and it appears to be dripping from rear main or where rear main meets oil pan.

are rear mains known to just blow out? i think i may still take it on the road trip but just keep an eye on the oil and add if need be.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:11 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
If an hpop line blew you'd have a big mess up top. If your valley is staying dry and you still have a leak back there, the only places to leak are the turbo/pedestal (which you replaced orings already), ebpv (which you deleted), large oil rail plugs in the rear of the heads, or the rear main. If you are sure its not coming from up higher I'd guess the rear main is the problem. A big rear main leak is not real common.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
duggyb
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
If an hpop line blew you'd have a big mess up top. If your valley is staying dry and you still have a leak back there, the only places to leak are the turbo/pedestal (which you replaced orings already), ebpv (which you deleted), large oil rail plugs in the rear of the heads, or the rear main. If you are sure its not coming from up higher I'd guess the rear main is the problem. A big rear main leak is not real common.
well after driving the truck for actually a decent amount of time now i have come to think it is my HPOP.

leak is very steady when truck is running, valley is now wet all the way to the back where i had it cleaned off before.

how can i see whats leaking on the HPOP? do you guys think it will get worse? i am thinking i might just have to drive it and keep an eye on the oil.

what are the chances of this happening? or will the leak usually stay constant.

im going to be towing about 6000lbs about 6 hours one way.

i drove the truck with the leak before about 4 hours round trip and it sure made a mess but the level never changed on the dipstick but i also had only 1500lb load.

i have no problem fixing this stuff proper and paying but no one can get me in before next week and i leave tomorrow. sure wish i would have known it was the HPOP before doing all the turbo pedestal work.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:38 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Is it at all possible you pinched an O-ring when re-installing the turbo? I have heard that can happen for sure. Just throwing it out there.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
never mind, just saw that the valley is wet...don't think that would be pedestal O-rings, buuuuut, I have a very small leak form the pedestal area that I will need to address soon. If it I don't clean it up after a month or so, the valley will be wet even though it is coming form the pedestal area. So, it still could be the pedestal. I can check and see the back hole filled up, and then a week later, the middle will be filled while the Hpop and underneath are dry.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Your best bet is to clean it up again and carefully get in there while its running and see if you can find the leak. If your valley is filling up you know its up there somewhere. The hpop has orings on the fittings, they could be leaking. I'd look it over as good as you can before you make the trip, a blown oring can ruin your day.

Quick Reply: Tracing Oil Leak.....