Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE tool and Early 99 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
stemo76
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AE tool and Early 99 Powerstroke

I am running version 10 of the AE tool with the ford module activated. anybody have any luck running the cylinder contribution test on an Early 99 PCM?

My runs and says cylinder 8 fail but when I look at the individual cylinder they all show 0 no input.

I have the CPR kit and have swapped out the LL injector with one that matches the other so there is no reason 8 should fail.

Recently I changed out all my injectors with ADs and things were running great for about 150 miles. then it started smoking then running like crap. Had it towed home. found some of the injectors had loosened up. Retorqued and it sounds better but still smokes an unbelievable amount and at the tail pipe a definite thump thump.

going to do a compression test now but was wondering about the cylinder contribution readings from others with Early 99. woodsnthings has posted graphs using the tool with different CPS so it must work in some situations.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stemo76
I am running version 10 of the AE tool with the ford module activated. anybody have any luck running the cylinder contribution test on an Early 99 PCM?
Yes, many times.

My runs and says cylinder 8 fail but when I look at the individual cylinder they all show 0 no input.
What shows 0, exactly? Are you running a CCT, or are you watching cylinder rotational velocities?

I have the CPR kit and have swapped out the LL injector with one that matches the other so there is no reason 8 should fail.
Which CPS do you have in the engine? Anything other than an OEM black CPS will cause inaccurete readings for cylinders 8 and usually 3. What is a CPR kit?

Recently I changed out all my injectors with ADs and things were running great for about 150 miles. then it started smoking then running like crap. Had it towed home. found some of the injectors had loosened up. Retorqued and it sounds better but still smokes an unbelievable amount and at the tail pipe a definite thump thump.

going to do a compression test now but was wondering about the cylinder contribution readings from others with Early 99. woodsnthings has posted graphs using the tool with different CPS so it must work in some situations.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Have run the test on my early bird many times without any problems.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 PM
stemo76
Senior User

What shows 0, exactly? Are you running a CCT, or are you watching cylinder rotational velocities?

I am not sure now, I think rotational velocity, its the only metric that I can see that shows all 8 cylinders separately.

Which CPS do you have in the engine? Anything other than an OEM black CPS will cause inaccurate readings for cylinders 8 and usually 3.

Mine is Grey, I think I have a purple one in the garage brand new.

What is a CPR kit?

dieselsite CPR is a regulated return fuel system and in take mixer delete.

What I found out was my front driver injector is stuck open and several were not torqued down all the way. I am guessing my initial torque didn't fully seat them.

I am not sure why AE didn't report that cylinder failing the test.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:51 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Try it with the tune / chip (Stock) and run tests again. For whatever reason some tunes and chips bounce the data and ROM. Do you have the PCM flashed to the latest version? You can check the Ford Site for the Flash #xxx-xx for your particular unit. Front Injector stuck open, glad it did not hydro lock.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also, I believe the engine oil temp has to be above a certain temperature before you'll get any readings for cylinder rotational velocity. For some reason, 140F sticks in my mind, but it could be somewhat higher or lower.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
CCT according to the book:

Cab air control to "OFF"
Engine Oil Temperature 140 degrees F minimum
In gear (brake applied)

Gray has the common #3 and #8 fail.
Purple is better than gray, but not as good as black. Some trucks get a #8 fail, some don't.
I haven't seen a cylinder fail with the black, but I've seen black CPSs fail (eventually). I have three CPSs (black installed now), but I have not run the IH CPS yet.

I am the grand poobah master of loose injectors, so I feel your pain on that one.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
stemo76
Senior User

I will try it again without the DP chip installed and see if that makes a difference. I just sent in my scan tool back to AE today to get the upgraded unit and renew my subscription. When it comes back I should have a replacement injector installed and I can play with this some more.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Originally Posted by whitetmw
Try it with the tune / chip (Stock) and run tests again. For whatever reason some tunes and chips bounce the data and ROM. Do you have the PCM flashed to the latest version? You can check the Ford Site for the Flash #xxx-xx for your particular unit. Front Injector stuck open, glad it did not hydro lock.
I have no idea what version I have on my PCM I have the XE4L or something like that model. Will the AE tool tell me what version is on my PCM?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:44 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stemo76
I have no idea what version I have on my PCM I have the XE4L or something like that model. Will the AE tool tell me what version is on my PCM?
The Dealership is supposed to put a sticker on the PCM and/or Under Hood to identify the latest version flashed.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Got a new injector from the shop today, they said mine had a cracked nozzle. Got it all together and after the initial smoke screen thinks seem to be working nice. 40 miles down the freeway, no smoke and 19mpg.

Still waiting for my new scan tool to show up so I can look over everything.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 PM
stemo76
Senior User

Got my new scan tool today and plugged it with the latest 12.11 software. I don't seem to have the PIDs like you have

Originally Posted by Tugly
CCT according to the book:

Cab air control to "OFF"
Engine Oil Temperature 140 degrees F minimum
In gear (brake applied)

Gray has the common #3 and #8 fail.
Purple is better than gray, but not as good as black. Some trucks get a #8 fail, some don't.
I haven't seen a cylinder fail with the black, but I've seen black CPSs fail (eventually). I have three CPSs (black installed now), but I have not run the IH CPS yet.

I am the grand poobah master of loose injectors, so I feel your pain on that one.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
When you select "Cylinder Rotational Velocity" for each injector, they play back in "PERDELS"

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
stemo76
Senior User

I guess I am special. I can't figure it out.

Originally Posted by Tugly
When you select "Cylinder Rotational Velocity" for each injector, they play back in "PERDELS"

Old 06-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I remember Robin having some problems , Don't remember what exactly but he told the program it was a 2000 year model and it solved the problem. Give it a try.

Quick Reply: AE tool and Early 99 Powerstroke