1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F100 Central One Piece Window Kit - Do not buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Perry55
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
F100 Central One Piece Window Kit - Do not buy!!!

This is in reference to a 1955 Ford F100:

For those of you interested in a One Piece Window Conversion from F100 Central, look another direction.

I ordered this kit (the previous owner that gave up on the truck cut out the tabs in the main part of the door) and boy, what a mistake. I should of went with another company on the kit.

I was stuck in a rut because of the tabs already being cut out. I could not go back to wing windows so I was forced to choose a one window kit or buy new doors. I figured, how bad could it be... right?

When I called F100 Central they couldn't be happier to sell me the kit. I made sure that they knew my trucks paint was already finished and that I need a One-Piece Window kit that involves minimum cutting and works smoothly.

They sold me their kit and I was really excited to get it put in. That was 3 months ago. I just finished the drivers side window alignment yesterday (I jsut work on the truck in my leisure time). This kit is not made for a truck that has a finished paint job. You have to cut in several places including the tabs inside the frame of the window on the door. Their kit includes the bare minimum to get the job finished.

You have to reuse the back channel in the door and they give you a new front channel. The glass that we received was cut 1/2" shorter than it needed to be so adapting to that was a total nightmare. They told us to deal with it and a certified installer would have no problem installing this kit.

The guy I hired to help do the cutting inside the window frame had done body work and custom paint jobs for Duesenbergs, Austins and 1920's Cadillacs that went to Pebble Beach and Barrett Jackson. I would say it is more than a qualified installer. He just helped with the cutting in tight spots and I did the rest.

The instructions they send you make it look very simple and straight forward. The only problem is that they instructions show the install happening with the outside panel of the door completely cut out.

See their instructions here: Blue Oval Truck Parts One Piece Window Installation Instructions

With a finished paint job this makes the cuts inside the door panel nearly impossible while preserving the paint. You need three elbows to get to some of the cuts. This is not a kit for a truck with a finished paint job.

On to the power window kit. The measurements they provided were for a window sized 1/2" larger in width so I had to compromise. After about 25 attempts I got the window channels spaced properly and aligned. Here are the power window instructions they provided me...

This is all I received on the power window kit. No instructions on placement, no mock up instructions and for the fact that this is mostly unreadable I consider it pretty worthless. It also did not include the support bar which has to be fabricated to fit to support the base of the power window motor so that it fits solid without movement. Also, no instructions on this. So what do I resort to?

The mid-fifty instructions! They basically saved my *** on this install. They actually give measurements where F100 Central does not. Be it that the kit was slightly different, they give you a good idea of what to go off of to finish the power window motor. Cudo's to Mid-Fifty. All my future purchases will go to them. Here are their instructions that helped me finish the kit.

Power Window Instructions from Mid-Fifty

The kit i received from Blue Oval Truck Parts also includes a minimal amount of bolts so be prepared to go to the hardware store to get a large assortment of multi-length bolts to finish it properly.

I had to space out the brackets provided by F100 Central because after following their instructions they are not built correctly. If you use the brackets they send without custom made 1/4-1/2" spacers the window either falls out of the track or the power window motor binds less than half way up. Also, the anti-rattle felts are not the right shape for a 1955 Truck. Those are next.

Long story short: If you are looking for a one-piece window kit look to another company than Blue Oval Truck Parts / F100 Central. Their support is lackluster and their kits are incomplete. Also, only resort to this kit if you have a truck with an unfinished paint job.

Sorry for the rant but I feel other people need to know about this kit / experience.