Turning the engine off to save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 AM
TCAS007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning the engine off to save gas?

What do you guys think about this?

Ride along as CleanMPG teaches us how to hypermile a Ford F-150 EcoBoost - AutoblogGreen

Old 05-25-2014, 01:29 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was tempted to stop reading when they called a 2wd F-150 a "huge truck".

Old 05-25-2014, 02:08 AM
LM14
Senior User
I doubt they save enough gas money to buy a new starter. Most tree huggers don't own trucks.

SPark

Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
While I see what they're trying to do, it's impractical and they can't even get their facts right.

Officially rated with a 26-gallon capacity, Gerdes was surprised when he did his standard hypermiler fill-up and pumped in around 36 gallons.

And on a serious note, do NOT try shutting the engine off while going down the road on a 4WD truck. These things use the same 4WD system that the '04-08 trucks do, and I tried that once on my '07. When the engine shuts off there is no more vacuum, and the IWEs will start grinding away as they try to engage.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I could see car makers in the future making an engine that will mimic a shutdown when it senses the vehicle is coasting for a stretch.

As for a full shutdown, I'm glad it's not on my dime.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tseekins
I could see car makers in the future making an engine that will mimic a shutdown when it senses the vehicle is coasting for a stretch.
My car does that, as does some of the new Ram 1500s.

2013 Ram 1500 Cool Tech: Deep Dive - PickupTrucks.com News

Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 AM
TCAS007
Senior User
It is interesting though that Ford said it is operational when shut off.
I was interested if it really works technically to save gas that way.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Tom_the_Torch
New User
Volvo's new E-Drive drivetrain shuts the engine down when stopped at stoplights. Then when you take your foot off of the break the engine starts back up on it's own.

A few weeks ago I drove a Mercedes S65 BiTurbo V12 to the local Mercedes dealership for some warranty work, it had the same type of system. I didn't know, and I thought the car stopped running on me at the stoplight.

I just wonder about wear and tear on the starter motor and the engine it's self over time with a system like this. I know I won't manually shut my engine off at every stoplight.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
start/stop technology is going to become very common. Manufactuers can design the starters to handle this kind of duty, so I wouldn't worry about the wear and tear. Not to mention that starting up an engine that was running recently takes very little energy compared to a true "cold" start.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Thumbs down

Given the current design of vehicles it is not only MORONIC it is UNSAFE.
  1. braking affected - no vacuum, no power brakes.
  2. steering affected - power steering assist disabled|reduced.
  3. in a panic/emergency situation will there be enough presence of mind to QUICKLY restart the engine? HIGHLY UNLIKELY. HELL most drivers can't chew gum and drive safely at the same time (exaggeration).
  4. BAD for the automatic transmission - even wrecker towing requires that the drive wheels not be on the ground - rear (4X2) front AND rear (4X4).
  5. additional restarting required - shorted lifespan of starter.
  6. minimal (if any) MPG improvement.

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Given the current design of vehicles it is not only MORONIC it is UNSAFE.
I would argue a couple of those Joe.

braking affected - no vacuum, no power brakes.
It's affected, but you do have power brakes. I tested the feel of my brakes on a hill on my driveway last year, and IIRC the ABS pump kicks in to help stop the car.
steering affected - power steering assist disabled|reduced.
Still have power assist. From 2011-present these trucks have electric power steering.

[*] minimal (if any) MPG improvement.
30% isn't minimal. They made that trip across the country with a 31 MPG average.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supposedly, at least the 2.7EB motor in the 2015 will have stop/start technology. Color me very skeptical - especially as someone who exacts a large electrical load from the system (to the point of running a second battery).

Old 05-26-2014, 11:24 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Tom - I would argue a couple of those Joe.
Argue @ 70MPH down a mountain grade as a semi' enters your lane.

"How did they die? What was the cause of death?? Coroner - "Stupity. But HEY, they were getting GREAT MPG."

"...45 miles per hour ..." / "...870 miles..." / "...missed the mileage-crushing Rocky Mountains ...". BOY HOWDY! WHAT A TRIP! AND (probably) SCENIC TOO!

First, we have to make it very clear that Ford does not recommend or endorse turning off the engine and coasting as a method to improve fuel economy.

We can tell you how the F-150 will behave in the unlikely event the engine should stall.

(1) The F-150 retains full braking power for a limited number of applications of the brake pedal, enabling the driver to bring the vehicle to safe stop as normal.
(2) The electric power assisted steering system remains active but not at 100 percent assist.

There could be instances where braking and steering efforts are affected. For instance, coasting down a long mountain road with the engine off could reduce voltage in the battery and affect the EPAS [Electric Power Assist Steering]. Also, the vaccum that powers the brakes would be depleted after several applications of the pedal.
...tested the feel of my brakes on a hill on my driveway ...
WHOA OK THEN ... Never mind. I'm all warm-and-fuzzy now.

30% isn't minimal. They made that trip across the country with a 31 MPG average.
Don't you mean 26%? (23/31)

AND ... IT ONLY TOOK 19 HOURS. (870/45). *@65MPH that would be 13 hours.

And that would mean that for that 19 hours $39.20 was saved ( (870/23) - (87/31) x $4/gal). Don't know about you, but my time is worth more than $6.50/hour.

We be jommin' now mama

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fuel economy but at this point in time with the technology of these (and previous) vehicles, coasting at low speeds t'ain't the answer.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fuel economy but at this point in time with the technology of these (and previous) vehicles, coasting at low speeds t'ain't the answer.
I wasn't trying to say that it was. I've never done some of the stunts that they did; my point was that it wasn't quite as bad as your first post indicated.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:53 AM
thzpcs
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins

As for a full shutdown, I'm glad it's not on my dime.
Actually, pretty much every car does this. When you're coasting, the engine is being turned by the wheels, and the fuel injectors will cut. No need to shut the engine off, as it just cuts fuel anyways.

Quick Reply: Turning the engine off to save gas?