1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started with instrument cluster failure...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:12 AM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Started with instrument cluster failure...

So, on my drive home from the pub tonight, my clusters went dead, then came back on, then died again. This behavior repeated for the 5 mile drive home. In addition, I believe the lights weren't working as well. The engine was still running, so I simply continued on home and parked for the night. The only thing I can think of might be the problem is the fact that I replaced the serpentine belt the day before yesterday. Is it possible that the alternator is not charging the battery properly and that is what my problem is? Any ideas out there? Thanx in advance.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:47 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
I'm heading to the parts store to get a new serpentine belt as the one I grabbed last time was just a hair on the large side. I'm also going to test my alternator just to be sure. The battery this morning was at full power and all the electrical systems seem to be working fine. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:55 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
So now the truck dies when accelerating, but no more cluster wonkiness.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
The thing that's really weird is that it starts really strong. Doesn't seem like an issue related to the battery.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:02 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Almost as if it's choking on air or fuel.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Loose wire or ground?
Did you hit or bump something when you did the belt?
Loose hose?

Old 06-07-2014, 03:55 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Now, it appears as though the battery is dead. Just clicks when starting. When I turn the key off, the tach and speed needles flicker. Died at a stop light. Luckily the Mrs. was handy to tow me home with the F-150. I'm getting it towed to the shop now to see wtf is going wrong? Don't undestand it. Some sort of electrical issue, but what? No bumps or loose wires or hoses that I could see.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Died at a stop light. Luckily the Mrs. was handy to tow me home with the F-150. I'm getting it towed to the shop now to see wtf is going wrong? Don't undestand it. Some sort of electrical issue, but what? No bumps or loose wires or hoses that I could see.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:09 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Just replaced the battery and alternator and it ran beautifully all the way home, but now it's dying again. If I start it and leave it alone, it appears to run without issue. If i rev the engine and then let off the accellerator, it dies. If a flip it into drive and let off the accellerator a bit, it dies. However, I haven't seen any issues with the instrument cluster since the new alternator and battery. Any other advice?

Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
I'm replacing the fuel filter tonight. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking perhaps the low-idle selenoid?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:21 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Replaced the fuel filter, but still no-go. Now, the idle is low, between 300 and 400 rpm, and is pretty rough. If I step on the accelerator, the rpms do not increase, but the engine struggles and dies. So now I'm wondering if it could be the fuel pump? Does anyone out there have any ideas on this? I did need to replace the battery and the alternator as they were completely shot, and when I replaced the fuel filter, there was some pretty dark deposits within, but now I'm grasping at straws as to what it could be. With the remaining behavior, I'm really leaning toward fuel pump, but I just don't know. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Tony Lee
Freshman User
Do you have any way to check engine codes?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can rent/buy a fuel pressure gauge to check "fuel pressures " both idle and under load . Also check the vacuum line on fuel regulator .

Good luck,

Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tony Lee
Do you have any way to check engine codes?
Unfortunately, I'm not reading any codes whatsoever. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to the stealership and bite the bullet on the troubleshooting/repair costs. Thanx.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 PM
dmallen
Mountain Pass
Long story short, the truck is back to its old self once again!!! In the end, the fix for the low RPM and dying on acceleration was for the computer to be reset and reprogrammed according to TSB 10-12-11. It basically states there are cases of vehicles with the 6.8l engine exibiting hesitation, loss of rpm, and/or low idle RPM driveability concerns. The powertrain control module (PCM) needs to be reprogrammed to the latest calibration using ids release 67. The dealer hooked me up with no additional charges. Needless to say, I'm very happy I have my truck back!!!

Quick Reply: Started with instrument cluster failure...