1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help with friends 48/51 F2

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with friends 48/51 F2

Guys, My buddy has been a little upset because He loves old fords, But I found one before he did He also loves 48-52 Fords, Anyways Hes been helping me work on my F1, Since I got it home hes been looking high and low for one, Anyways he found a F2 last weekend The box is a 48 the cab is a 51,52 and front clip is a 48-52, The title he got with the truck is a 51, How ever the truck is worst then my first F1, the truck is missing the running boards, no door glass, has no W/M rims, no motor or trans, floor board on driver side is gone, the truck is gutted.. How ever the truck rolls and the bed and rear fenders are in ok shape, the cab is pretty bad, front clip is ok shape, hood is good shape, Here is where I need help, He wants to put a later motor and trans in the truck, He wants to make pretty much a every day driver/ farm shop truck, He wants the truck to look stock ha, But We are trying to think of the best motor and trans to drop in it. I myself have no ideal where to start, He was thinkin a later 60s-70s motor and trans and sumthing with a carb on it. Any help would be great guys...
Ill get pics up asap of the truck

Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I really like 300 six Ford motors. The fuel injected engines have a neat set of split exhaust manifolds that fit onto the carbureted motors. There is even a forum dedicated to the 240 & 300 six engines: FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • View forum - 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Imho, the best newer-type engine to install is the Ford 302. They're the narrowest of all modern powerplants so they fit really nice, lots of room for exhaust. With a C4 trans, no cutting of frame or floor is necessary, and the trans mount fits right on the crossmember. Using an AOD or manual trans may need extra effort, but that would be true with any other engine combo, as well. If you set the radiator in the forward 6 cylinder position, you'll have lots of fan clearance, too.

The F2/3 pickups used the same raised panel 8' box all years 48-52. They didn't change styles like the F1. If your buddy needs a good cab, check out the classified ads here and make a road trip to my house. I've got other stuff he needs that will make the trip worthwhile.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
If the truck is in that bad of shape, he ought to pass and buy one that is fairly complete. Otherwise he's likely to lose interest before he ever drives it. JMO... look at your own situation, Cody, where would you be if you stayed with your original truck?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
BradsF1
Junior User
Originally Posted by Cody_1948
Guys, My buddy has been a little upset because He loves old fords, But I found one before he did He also loves 48-52 Fords, Anyways Hes been helping me work on my F1, Since I got it home hes been looking high and low for one, Anyways he found a F2 last weekend The box is a 48 the cab is a 51,52 and front clip is a 48-52, The title he got with the truck is a 51, How ever the truck is worst then my first F1, the truck is missing the running boards, no door glass, has no W/M rims, no motor or trans, floor board on driver side is gone, the truck is gutted.. How ever the truck rolls and the bed and rear fenders are in ok shape, the cab is pretty bad, front clip is ok shape, hood is good shape, Here is where I need help, He wants to put a later motor and trans in the truck, He wants to make pretty much a every day driver/ farm shop truck, He wants the truck to look stock ha, But We are trying to think of the best motor and trans to drop in it. I myself have no ideal where to start, He was thinkin a later 60s-70s motor and trans and sumthing with a carb on it. Any help would be great guys...
Ill get pics up asap of the truck
I am somewhat prejudiced, but a 4bt turbo Cummins is the ****. Think about smoking the tires and still getting 30 mpg.

Brad

Old 05-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
If the truck is in that bad of shape, he ought to pass and buy one that is fairly complete. Otherwise he's likely to lose interest before he ever drives it. JMO... look at your own situation, Cody, where would you be if you stayed with your original truck?
Ross, I tryed talking him out of it to wait for sumthing better, but he still made a deal with the guy, He told me for what he payed for it hes goin tokeep it and use the money he saved on buying the truck, Trust me i tryed talking him out of it, But ill give him a few weeks and he will get sick of it,

Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Money saved will be spent buying the missing parts, getting my butt kicked the same way.
Just about any "modern" engine can be made into a daily driver. IMO bigger issue is matching the tire size, transmission, and rear gear ratio for comfortable around town and highway cruising.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:45 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Well nobody else has spoken up so far so I'll say it: He should pass on that truck unless he can get it with a clear title.

Even then I'm not sure what your buddy's skill level is but based upon your description it is going to require a lot of work. If the floorboards are gone that probably means that everything attached to the frame will need major work also (i.e. new springs, shocks, tie rod ends, bushings of all types, brake shoes, brake cables and attaching parts, wheel cylinders, and the list goes on and on).

Then you get to the engine, trans, motor mounts, cross members, master cylinder, exhaust system and that is just the big stuff. We can go on to the electrical if you want which will be a long list since modern engine/trans combos like those mentioned will require 12v negative ground not 6v (can you say new gauges, sending units, wiring, etc. etc. etc.). And we haven't even gotten to the body work, all of which must be done before anything else.

IMHO if he wants is a daily driver, work truck he will be money ahead spending the $8-12K for one that is in reasonably good condition. Then he can modify it at his pleasure (headers, fresh chrome, whatever he wants)

Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by petemcl
Well nobody else has spoken up so far so I'll say it:

IMHO if he wants a daily driver, work truck he will be money ahead spending the $8-12K for one that is in reasonably good condition. Then he can modify it at his pleasure (headers, fresh chrome, whatever he wants)
Great paragraph. Should be sticked as a must read for all new folks...and some old folks..lol.