1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gripe with FORD MOTOR CO. Radiator o ring problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
mackda600
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gripe with FORD MOTOR CO. Radiator o ring problem

So I have a 2008 f-350 king ranch with 6.4l. Serviced regularly through the dealer. Also purchased the extended warranty PREMIUM CARE.

Well at 49000 miles I noticed the coolant drip. Brought it to the dealer, and they advised it was the upper radiator hose that had a "failed O ring" (old style hose).

So I asked if the hose was the failure (as the hose is considered a wear & tear item per the ESP contract, therefore not covered) and was advised the O ring had failed. I then advised them to replace the O ring and reassemble. Was told Ford no longer sells the O ring, you have to buy the new redesigned hose that now has TWO O rings. And we recommend doing the the lower hose as well because that seems to fail at same time.

Now my ESP does in fact cover SEALS & GASKETS. So I called Ford Customer Service and long story short, escalated to a level 2 advisor. Explained that I understand hose is wear and tear, however my HOSE did not fail, in fact provided Ford did not stop selling the replacement O ring, I could have just replaced the O ring, and reinstalled. My issue is the O ring failed, and your (ford) answer is to replace the whole assembly!

An O ring to me is considered a SEAL. ITS ABSURD THIS IS NOT COVERED!

So plain and simple I'm stuck with a $620 bill to replace two hoses that FORD knows are problematic. No issue with the dealer, they were great and performed the repair in a timely matter.

FORD must revisit this issue with the 6.4L hoses that they have redesigned because they know they are a problem. This is unacceptable for something that I feel strongly (hence this post) should be covered by a recall if not then especially the $3k+ EXTENDED WARRANTY I purchased.....

As a 4 time Ford owner, it's time to reconsider on my next truck... Very unhappy.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:14 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
You have a good case

I do believe that car manufactures are required to keep parts for 10 years or at least to the end of the warranty. Ford replace your parts with a part that is not covered under warranty and no longer offers the part that is covered under warranty. Therefore they should be responsibility for cost of this repair as it was their decision to discontinue the covered part. You could take this to small claims.

Contact Crystal on this web site she is a Ford Customer Service Rep. I think she can help you.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
I do believe that car manufactures are required to keep parts for 10 years or at least to the end of the warranty. Ford replace your parts with a part that is not covered under warranty and no longer offers the part that is covered under warranty. Therefore they should be responsibility for cost of this repair as it was their decision to discontinue the covered part. You could take this to small claims.

Contact Crystal on this web site she is a Ford Customer Service Rep. I think she can help you.
When they upgrade the part, ie; the hose to a two o-ring design, they no longer keep the old parts or parts for those parts.

ford is an expert angle cutter, they will never give up anything they don't have to or aren't forced to.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by mackda600

An O ring to me is considered a SEAL. ITS ABSURD THIS IS NOT COVERED!

So plain and simple I'm stuck with a $620 bill to replace two hoses that FORD knows are problematic. No issue with the dealer, they were great and performed the repair in a timely matter.
I'd be extremely frustrated also, what did the customer service rep tell you? I'm curious to see how this resolves.

I don't think so. Parts are superceded every day, it's a normal part of the engineering process that they use to make their products better. The authorized repair is to replace the hose with the updated design, and since the o-ring is part of the hose I don't think you can make that argument.

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
ford is an expert angle cutter, they will never give up anything they don't have to or aren't forced to.
Completely disagree with this. Nobody forces them to provide anything more than a 3/36K warranty on ANYTHING. I've personally been given a 45K maintenance package by Ford Customer Service after they didn't fix a problem on my Mustang the first time. Another guy in the F150 forum had Ford purchase him a set of AirLift air bags to help resolve an issue with vibration under load. Nobody forced them to do either of these things.

My truck was in the shop for a week for a warranty repair last November, and Ford authorized a rental vehicle for me to drive during that time period. Nobody forced them to do that either, and you'll find nothing about a replacement vehicle while yours is in the shop under warranty.

Either a part is covered under the warranty or its not. Sounds like the OP is getting the raw end of the deal, but hopefully they'll come through and make it right.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 AM
mackda600
Senior User
Cool

Originally Posted by Tom
I'd be extremely frustrated also, what did the customer service rep tell you? I'm curious to see how this resolves.

I don't think so. Parts are superceded every day, it's a normal part of the engineering process that they use to make their products better. The authorized repair is to replace the hose with the updated design, and since the o-ring is part of the hose I don't think you can make that argument.

Completely disagree with this. Nobody forces them to provide anything more than a 3/36K warranty on ANYTHING. I've personally been given a 45K maintenance package by Ford Customer Service after they didn't fix a problem on my Mustang the first time. Another guy in the F150 forum had Ford purchase him a set of AirLift air bags to help resolve an issue with vibration under load. Nobody forced them to do either of these things.

My truck was in the shop for a week for a warranty repair last November, and Ford authorized a rental vehicle for me to drive during that time period. Nobody forced them to do that either, and you'll find nothing about a replacement vehicle while yours is in the shop under warranty.

Either a part is covered under the warranty or its not. Sounds like the OP is getting the raw end of the deal, but hopefully they'll come through and make it right.
Tom- The first customer service rep, told me the same story the dealer gave me (that only parts covered under warranty are those that when entered into the system reflect such case, and there was nothing more they could do).

I expect that answer from the DEALER, as I would have to agree with them, that this would be out of their control and in the back end of the system. However when I contacted Ford, I expected a better answer, which is why I immediately asked for a next level supervisor.

Once speaking with her, she looked into the case and essentially came back with the same response the next day. I stressed my DISSATISFACTION with Ford Motor Co to her in this specific matter. I again asked for another supervisor, and she advised there's nothing more that can be done.

Well if that's the case, then its time to reconsider the loyalty relationship I thought was there.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This stuff does get frustrating. I had to fight them to cover my second set of exhaust manifolds in 80k miles. Unfortunately these problems are no different with ram or gm. I know plenty of people that have both and at work we have mostly chevys, after being killed financially with the 6.0PSD. Everyone I know that has had a bad part issue has had to fight. I don't think its a problem with ford, gm, or fiat its a problem with the system. The rules of warranty issues need to be changed

Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
ESP's are an easy cash cow for service centers...they want to be able to help you and milk this cow. But, when you hear "we/I/the recommendation is x/y/z", instatead of "we/i will take care of it" then you know the cow can't be milked and you instead will have to be milked.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My father worked for ford and other dealers for years as a salesman and finance manager where he sold extended warranties. He ended up getting fired from that job because he refused to sell people those plans as they were a total waste of time and money.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Not covered here why it should be

When you enter a contract you must supply the services and items in the contract this basic.

Ford entered into a contract to cover the O-rings for a set amount time.
They pulled the part and are now unable to comply with the their contract warranty. This means they are in breach of contract.

Let us say that Ford issues a warranty contract on the seals in a HPFS but not the HPFS. Then ford issues a new upgraded HPFS that no longer has the seal and Ford no longer carries the seal. What good is the warranty?

The breach is the fact they are unable to comply with contract they entered into. This is being passed because of the dollar amount. Ford does not think that they will be sued because of the dollar amount. I would suggest OP ask for a full refund of the warranty since it has been breached by FORD, when they pause tell them to send it to Ford legal department.

Customer server reps follow company policy not law. This is why when you hire a lawyer ford customer service stops talking to you.

On the other hand 600 bucks for two hoses. I would be doing the repair.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Ford entered into a contract to cover the O-rings for a set amount time.
They pulled the part and are now unable to comply with the their contract warranty. This means they are in breach of contract.
But are they in the contract? I can't find the exact contract online, but the brochure is easy enough to find. And it's pretty clear:

Originally Posted by PremiumCare Brochure
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. See your dealer for details, or refer to your plan provisions.
The 1,000+ covered components include, but are not limited to, the components listed in this brochure
Originally Posted by PremiumCare Brochure
Owner Maintenance Requirements
Service adjustments and cleaning, software upgrades, fixed (non-moving) body
parts, batteries of all types and cables, belts, hoses, hose clamps, brakes (front hub,
drums, shoes, linings, disc rotors, pads), manual transmission clutch disc, coolant,
exhaust system (including catalytic converter), filters, fluids, lubricants, lights
(bulbs, sealed beam, lenses), spark plugs, spark plug wires, squeaks and rattles,
tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, LED lights, shock absorbers and
compressed natural gas/liquid propane fuel system conversion components
The O-ring is part of the hose. It's a losing battle unless the contract says otherwise.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
But are they in the contract? I can't find the exact contract online, but the brochure is easy enough to find. And it's pretty clear:

Ford is in contract with the OP, because money was exchanged for goods and services.

Request a copy of the contract from Ford. I know I pissed of the finance guy by asking for a copy, and he had to contract Ford to get one for me. I ended up using GEIGO insurance instead. This repair would have cost me 250 bucks with GEIGO.

I think O-rings should be a separate part from hose. If they where called O-rings not seals or ridges that are inside the hose that act like a o-ring. You need a diagram and copy of the contract. If fact I think I could argue a hose is a seal but that just wrong.

Ether way I would still ask for the warranty to be refunded. Because they are unable full fill the contract.

Don't believe everything the customer service tells you. It like believe everything on the internet.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel for you, had the cab off twice in a little over a year, which requires separating those hoses. Wouldn't you know I got the same leak shortly after the second cab off. I argued that splitting the hoses twice in that amount of time was the reason why it leaked. Service advisor acted like I wanted to murder her kid for even making such a claim. Needless to say $650 later I had the updated hoses and a Ford dealer I will not go back to for service. Just started going to them again after a long break of them ripping people off before.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:47 PM
mackda600
Senior User
@tom

The "O" ring is NOT part of the original hose assembly, rather a separate part. Which is why the topic was raised in the first place.

You were at one time able to purchase the O ring separately according to my dealer, but no longer...

Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Originally Posted by mackda600
@tom

The "O" ring is NOT part of the original hose assembly, rather a separate part. Which is why the topic was raised in the first place.

You were at one time able to purchase the O ring separately according to my dealer, but no longer...

I do see that the hoses have a new part # but the o-rings are still available.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 AM
mackda600
Senior User
Has anyone tried to order the O rings themselves? Accoriding to my dealer, that's not possible. I see Tasca has them as a separate part as well. Or am I reading the diagram wrong?

Crystal can you help?

Quick Reply: Gripe with FORD MOTOR CO. Radiator o ring problem