1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford F100 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 AM
xqwuynx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford F100 Project

Hi I recently inherited my grandfather 1956 Ford F100 and I am looking to turn this thing into somewhat of a daily driver. It currently has I believe the 223, three on tree with overdrive. Simply put, this motor and tranny isn't going to cut it for me. I need more power and something that shifts much smoother. From what I have been reading online the Ford 300 I6 or the Ford 351W seems like a perfect candidate for a swap. Can people shed some insight on the pros and cons of going with each of these motors and what tranny(manual is a must) you would match with either. So far I'm leaning towards a 300 with a 5 speed tranny and throwing on some nice headers, intake, carb, and distributor. I'm looking for primarily durability and economy. Thanks

Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 555 Likes on 359 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Great story about your Grandfathers truck! Enjoy the journey of turning it into Yours.

There are plenty of members that have used almost every thing possible (some have even tried the impossible) regarding engine and transmission installs in F100s here. Plenty of opinions and help are here just for the asking.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:58 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html Bob's link is not working. Can someone in the know tell me why?

How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube. Thanks Sam Rusty_Old_F250. Best we can find is that this video was done by Gundown64

Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^^^^^ AYB is the guy on the far right.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:32 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
Welcome to the FTE! What part of CA are you located? Lots of options on the engine/trans, don't forget the rearend/gear ratios while you are designing the drivetain. A SBF 302/5.0 is a good mill when backed by a T5 trans.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Nice pic, but where's the truck? That guy with the chicken legs is Y Block?Don't let the kids see this.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:22 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That could well have been me 30 years ago when my chickin legs still worked. Now I look more like the guy on the other end. Only sitting down

Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
There are adapters for a T5 behind the 300. That would be a good combo with the right rear ratio. Here's a post i wrote on planning a build:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1955-f250.html

Old 04-20-2014, 01:40 PM
xqwuynx
New User
imgur: the simple image sharer

pictures of truck... now can I get some help, pros and cons, tips, advice, etc... with my drive train swap?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 851 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by xqwuynx
imgur: the simple image sharer

pictures of truck... now can I get some help, pros and cons, tips, advice, etc... with my drive train swap?
I LOVE the truck! I have to say that if I had my Grand Paps truck I would not be able modify it, Just think that when you change spark plugs he may have been the last one to touch them before you did.

I just get a "deep" feeling when I have something of my Dads or his Dads. I feel a connection

The 223 6 cyl engines are great little engines. Heck I put 100,000 miles on one in high school

and with the overdrive that's a nice combo. But if you should decide its not the setup for you I'd love to buy the engine/trans combo

Old 04-20-2014, 03:23 PM
xqwuynx
New User
Engine mounts

Does anyone know of a company that makes engine mounts for a 300 6. Or could anyone give me some insight on how to get it mounted with minimal fabrication?

Old 04-20-2014, 03:47 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Someone else asked this very same question just a few days ago. Someone said that the mounts match the FE engine mounts. I suggest calling Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts they can tell you what will work. Ask them to send you one of their free catalogs as well, there is a wealth of extra info in it, plus the gals there are great, well informed, and know how a customer should be treated,

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
For the 300 swap use the trans-dapt FE V8 crossmember with a pair of 300 motor mounts for a 70's Ford truck.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4037/

Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Olweldinrig
Senior User
Welcome and don't throw that 223 away yet!I have one in my 3/4 ton and have no problem keeping up in traffic and my truck is fairly overweight right now.Not bad on gas either.If anything I was thinking about a split header and a pair of one barrels.I would be more worried about the brakes myself.If it's a runner why change it?
Dave

Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 AM
xqwuynx
New User
Originally Posted by Olweldinrig
Welcome and don't throw that 223 away yet!I have one in my 3/4 ton and have no problem keeping up in traffic and my truck is fairly overweight right now.Not bad on gas either.If anything I was thinking about a split header and a pair of one barrels.I would be more worried about the brakes myself.If it's a runner why change it?
Dave
I'm definitely planning on putting front disc brakes on, but since there isn't much room for discussion on that matter I didn't really mention it. I mainly came here for some tips in going with a 300 -6. I have thought about keeping the 223, but I definitely still need to figure out a different tranny, I can't stand not being able to downshift without coming to a near complete stop.

Quick Reply: Ford F100 Project