engine rattle 99 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 PM
zweave
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine rattle 99 4.6

i just redid the timing tensioners hoping it would resolve the knocking/rattling. one was broken and the chain doesnt sound like it drags and flops around anymore but there is still a sort of knocking in the engine bay it sounds like a pulley with missing bearings or a chain rattling around and i already took the belt off to see if it was any pulleys so im guessing its internal. there is also a wire that i cant find where it goes, its clean so im guessing it plugs in some where. it comes off the harness that has the injector wires and goes down to the plug that goes by the oil filter and the one thats unplugged cant go a foot away from the oil filter
the wire to the oil filter is like the one next to c114 and the unplugged one is like the one next to it

Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know I can't answer your questions, but I find many of these engines make noise of some kind. If you have good oil pressure, temp is normal run it. See if it gets worse. I had a 302 in an 88 T-bird that knocked for 200,000 miles. I had a 97 Chevy Blazer that knocked for 100,000 miles. They may still be knocking I sold them after putting that mileage on them knocking.
I left my 95 F150 sit for two weeks & went to start it & crap I thought it was blowing up. Everything that could knock was knocking. As soon as I got oil pressure evertyjing got quiet still has great oil pressure. Never made another noise the rest of the day starting & stopping.
My point is sometimes these things will drive a person crazy & yet they keep running just fine.
If it gets worse then you'll have to dig in a little further.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:51 PM
jesse5
Senior User
The wire sounds like it goes to an oil pressure switch. Did you replace the entire timing set?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 PM
zweave
5th Wheeling
i only replaced the tensioners because one was broke. but today i was driving and my oil pressure guage went down to low and the light came on when i was at a stop light so i thought the guage was messing up so as i accelerated it went back to normal so i kept driving but as i went on the rpms would have to be higher for the light to go off so i pulled off to a lot and had someone bring me oil then i put 2 quarts in and started it up and the ratling before that i had started knocking like crazy and was louder than hell and it was constant and fast so i was on my way to a career center where my friend is going to school to have him take a look at it (automotive tech) and 1 minute away the engine started squealing and making all kinds of loud horrible noises and it blew. tried to crank it and it was slow as hell so he towed me to the shop and they cant figure it out from quick diagnostics so i am bringing it home tomorrow and using my engine stand that has been collecting dust so i can find out the problem and now begins my twin 50mm turbo build. ill keep the post updated on what i find out. i was actually just gonna deal with the noise until i got the time and money to start my build but this happened

Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 PM
zweave
5th Wheeling
i believe the wire went to O2 sensors. when i got my exhaust put on i took the O2s out and removed my cats

Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 PM
zweave
5th Wheeling
alright so i just got my vehicle home and i checked my dipstick and its way way way past full so that 2 quarts i added when the light came on wasnt good. when i was at my friends shop we put an inspection camera down the oil fill hole and when i cranked it he didnt see the cam move. also when it cranks its real slow i think due to the oil but another thing is i dont have creamy oil but when i was at the shop we put a pressure tester on the resivore and it didnt build any pressure just blew right through. when the engine "blew" there was no oil or coolant on the ground so that is a good sign. but since i was cranking it and the cams werent moving i believe all my vavles are now bent. so now the disassembly starts so i can find out whats wrong. if you guys have any ideas feel free to post im open to anything

Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM
zweave
5th Wheeling
crank position sensor code is also thrown