Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Senior User

DW SD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DW SD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
installed Soffseal door seals today - not good - any tips??

1951 Ford, F1. Seals seem like a quality product and fit well. But....

The door is incredibly hard to close!! And the strikers are adjusted all of the way out.

I installed the portion between the lower 2/3rds of the door and the A-pillar, first (they come in 2 sections.) That seal caused most of the interference. The other being the top 1/3 of the a-pillar, over the top of the door and down to the bottom rear corner. Maybe it is just the portions being pinched between the hinge halves?

Anyone think they'll loosen up after being squeezed for a while?

I'm disappointed. I will call Soffseal tomorrow. Their website says 100% satisfaction. At this stage, I might as well have welded the door shut.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Soffseal is a really good outfit and everything that I have gotten from them has been great, but I haven't gotten my door seals yet. I hope that they take care of it for you if it is a problem with their product. I will be watching to see what happens, I am ready to order them.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Senior User

DW SD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DW SD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thanks for the post.

I don't think it is the product quality. If anything the seals just seems too thick.

Have you found in the past that they form a bit and fit better?

Doug
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Clean & Classy

B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.B/B ford has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't know about soft seal but mid-fifty sells hollow door seals just for this problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
thanks for the post.

I don't think it is the product quality. If anything the seals just seems too thick.

Have you found in the past that they form a bit and fit better?

Doug
I have only used their products on the woodies that I built or worked on. All wooden doors that I built so I was able to leave enough room for the weather strip and using their universal product so there is really no way to judge. I never had any complaints with it though. I was planning on using their seals on my '52 so please let me know what they tell you when you talk to them.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Senior User

Jasonnoel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jason Noel
Door seals are usually too thick. I buy some universal stuff in 50 lengths and use it rather than fighting and slamming doors all the time. And a poorly adjusted or not working latch/strike plate will trick you into thinking seals are too thick also. So check it all out.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonnoel View Post
Door seals are usually too thick. I buy some universal stuff in 50 lengths and use it rather than fighting and slamming doors all the time. And a poorly adjusted or not working latch/strike plate will trick you into thinking seals are too thick also. So check it all out.
Got a part number on what you use?
All works in progress
Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Senior User

I heard this from mid-fifties. Also, I will call Soffseal later today. I read on a tri-five board that many use a heat gun to allow the seals to deform and that it is common for soffseal seals to be too large.

Hi Doug,

We do have hollow door weather stripping, but it already has molded corners specifically for 1953-55 & 1956 doors. You may be able to make them work, but I am unfamiliar with F1 doors, so don't want to point you in the wrong direction. You should give Classic Haulers a call as they specialize in just 1948-52 F1's and may have more insight to your situation. You can reach them at 877-252-1948 or visit classic-haulers.com.
We also carry hollow domed weather stripping, that is not preformed. See our part number 3106-DM. I have attached a picture of a cross section for reference.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Jesse
Mid Fifty F-100 Parts
Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Senior User

I called Soffseal several times today. No one answers. I left a v/m for the sales department asking them to please call me (there is no support option). No word back.

Doug
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Freshman User

jonnireb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Door seals

I used the hollow seals from Mid Fifty, and they allowed the door to close easily. However they didn't seal quite as well as I wanted (wind noise) so I glued a then flat softseal to the cab door opening so the two seals come together when closed. It stiffened the door closing a bit, but not excessively so, and it quelled the wind noise.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Senior User

pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.pineconeford has a good reputation on FTE.
I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Had the same problem with my new seals and I haven't bought replacements yet.
I'll be following this to see if SS has any response.

Tom
Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Senior User

fordf5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just ordered the set from MACS but it will be a looooong time before I can see how they fit.
.....Roger
Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Senior User

A few months later, I'm real disappointed with the seals. The rubber quality seems great, but I have to slam the CR@P out of the door to try to make them close all of the way. The seals are just very dense. I tried setting the truck in the sun, using the heat gun, etc. I might have been able to make them fit 5% better. Barely perceptible improvement.

I talked to the folks today at Steele rubber who are sending me a sample kit of their half round hollow seals. Likely, I'll be cutting most of these out and replacing with something from Steele. Quite frustrating process. I plan to possible save the parts which are molded under the door hinges.

Doug
Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Posting Guru

underthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud of
Your not alone Doug, I have been running without door seals for two years now. My doors close tight, and I rarely drive on the freeway where noise would be a problem, or in the rain so I'm happy without them.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Senior User

Hi Jimmy,
I just got my AC working and do drive on the highway. I'd like to have working seals. thanks for the empathy.
Will update when I have the Steele samples in hand.
thanks,

Doug
Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks